Byron, Coffs or Gold Coast?

Old Feb 9, 2007, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Byron, Coffs or Gold Coast?

Am planning a weekend away at the end of March with Ms MD and was thinking of the following:
a) Byron - Staying at Byron @ Byron ($345/night)
b) Gold Coast - Nice renovated room at the Raddison ($250/night)
c) Coffs Harbour - Haven't picked anywhere yet

What do people think of the above? I am probably more concerned with the city as opposed to the hotel - I am well aware that Byron @ Byron is a pretty spectacular place.

The other option is to drive up to the Blue Mountains for the weekend and stay at Lilianfels (sp.).

I am really looking for somewhere peaceful but with stuff to do if we get bored. Plan is to leave lunch time on Friday, and come back late Sunday avo.

Thanks
MD

(PS - Wonder if I am the first ozzie to post a question on this board lol)
Old Feb 9, 2007, 12:21 pm

Having spent time and stayed at both the Gold Coast and at Byron Bay, but not at Coff's, I'd personally choose Byron Bay. But then isn't it a completely apples and oranges comparison, dependent on what you're in the mood for?
Old Feb 9, 2007, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jtkauai
Having spent time and stayed at both the Gold Coast and at Byron Bay, but not at Coff's, I'd personally choose Byron Bay. But then isn't it a completely apples and oranges comparison, dependent on what you're in the mood for?
Interestingly, each of the cities I have suggested concerns me in a different way having regard to its steretypical population, as follows:
Byron -> Full of sarong-toting, pot-smoking, long-heared hippies
Coffs -> Pensioners and families with young children
Gold Coast -> Perhaps I have seen one too many schoolies reports on the news, but I have this image in my mind of 18 year old blokes hooning down the main road at 2am in a V8 Commodore, with 5 of them in a car, and Eurotrash blaring out the windows

As for my mood - Well, even though I am only in my late 20s, I do get accused of being a grumpy old man a lot of the time :-).

I want somewhere that fits the following:
quiet,
romantic,
some bushwalks,
nice (but not pretentious) restaurants,
Preferably fly there (as I like flying and this rules out Blue Mountains)

If anyone can suggest somewhere I have not mentioned then by all means go for it. Mirimbula was somewhere else I thought of, but the standard of hotels there is pretty average from what I see on Trip Advisor.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 7:00 pm

Programs: Ex UA PremEx
One of my favourite weekend getaway places is Kim's at Towoon Bay. Yeah I know it isn't as glam as soem other places but it is very romantic and all food is included.

Phoebe
Old Feb 9, 2007, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Feebster
One of my favourite weekend getaway places is Kim's at Towoon Bay. Yeah I know it isn't as glam as soem other places but it is very romantic and all food is included.
That looks beautiful - thanks for the suggestion. The only problem is that Ms MD is originally from the central coast and this time we want somewhere a little further away and unfamiliar for her. But I will definitely keep this place in mind if we want something close to home in the future.

Ta,
MD
Old Feb 11, 2007, 3:06 pm

Programs: QF QP NB, PC Plat. Amb, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MilesDependent
I want somewhere that fits the following:
quiet,
romantic,
some bushwalks,
nice (but not pretentious) restaurants,
Preferably fly there (as I like flying and this rules out Blue Mountains)
I'd say that Coffs Harbour meets most of the criteria listed above. It's reasonably quiet (especially the cluster of resorts to the north of town - well so long as the Wallabies aren't in training mode anyway ). The beaches are pleasant and though its been a few years since I was up that way there was certainly decent seafood available in town.

It's also got Dorigo National Park close by - should fit the bill of a decent bushwalk I'd say.

The Gold Coast I think can safely be ruled out on the quiet stakes, and not sure it rates so highly on romance either (well depending on what sort of romance you want I guess :P ). Byron is a decent option too, and Byron @ Byron is probably better than any of the accommodation options you'll find in Coffs as well. Either way you'll enjoy yourself though I'm sure! ^
Old Feb 19, 2007, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by MilesDependent
Interestingly, each of the cities I have suggested concerns me in a different way having regard to its steretypical population, as follows:
Byron -> Full of sarong-toting, pot-smoking, long-heared hippies
Coffs -> Pensioners and families with young children
Gold Coast -> Perhaps I have seen one too many schoolies reports on the news, but I have this image in my mind of 18 year old blokes hooning down the main road at 2am in a V8 Commodore, with 5 of them in a car, and Eurotrash blaring out the windows
That's funny. I never made it to Coffs, but I did spend some quality time in both Byron Bay and Surfers Paradise. The stereotypes as written above definitely hold true for a significant portion of the population in both areas.

Anyway, having not been to Coffs I can only offer partial advice, which would be to stay far away from the Gold Coast. It's neither quiet nor romantic and I don't remember seeing any bush (cough) nearby. That said, I was a big fan of Byron Bay, and spent a few days there laying in a hammock and getting lost in the surrounds after celebrating NYE in Sydney. There were definitely some decent restaurants in town and it would certainly be somewhere I'd consider visiting again with a significant other.

All that said, my first choice for a weekend away with somebody would unequivocally be Cape Tribulation, although you'll burn at least five hours each way in transit (3hr flight to CNS, 2hr drive from there).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.