Insecticide spraying on Australia-arriving aircraft

Old Nov 12, 06, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
SFO-SYD flight #863 today sprayed with insecticide - de-plane delayed for 15 mins.

Urrrgghhh.

The last time this occurred to me here was probably 20 years back.

We landed nicely ahead of sked time.

Door opens, pax all standing in aisles and then chaos reigns supreme as a small army of the non-UA ground staff stream on and everyone is made to sit down again.

Then these contract staffers announce that the cabin needs to be "sprayed".

About 5 minutes goes by as ground staff seem to have no idea what happens next - or by who.

Then they (ground staff) start spraying each loo, and crew bags, and all overheads. Which seems to take forever. Plane is packed nose to tail, in all classes.

Purser barks at FAs over PA to open all overheads to make process quicker.

Then we wait another 5 mins.

Then purser announces she is sorry, but after LAST spray was completed we need to stay seated another 5 mins.

All very weird. No other explanation given to pax.

We were seated in C right near air-bridge door in #7 and saw and heard most of the exchanges. The FAs were totally taken by surprise and knew nothing of this it seemed to me until doors opened.

Curiously, we were on a 747 that day from IAD-SFO (#951) which was quite a surprise as it was supposed to be a 777. We got exit row #15 upstarts, and that was quite a bonus.

Whether that plane went on to SYD, as connex was only a little over 2 hours, I am not sure. Maybe it was not pest certified or whatever as usual aircraft are to here? They lost 2 of my bag pieces even with that long connex time.

Anyone else on this flight or knows what went on or why?
Old Nov 12, 06, 7:19 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold / BA GGL&CCR
They're allowed to spray insecticide while passengers are still in the plane?!

Aren't those fumes supposed to be bad for you? Cuz I start choking and hacking when I spray around the house. I can't imagine how bad it would be when it's in a closed metal tube.
Old Nov 12, 06, 7:30 pm

Programs: EK Gold - SWA A+/CP - SPG Plat - Fairmont Premier - AA EXP
I've gotten a spray treatment on flights from DEL to YYZ, FRA, and CDG. It wasn't intrusive by any means just an FA walking with 2 spray bottles in the air down the aisle. This seems a little more evasive than whatever treatment i got...Either way seems it would have been handled better if everyone was better informed?
Old Nov 12, 06, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA / SPG
I think last time I got sprayed was when I was on Ansett Australia, which is at least 5 years ago.
Old Nov 12, 06, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Just to clarify, Australia has VERY strict quarantine laws that I fully agree with.

In the lonnnnng distant past all planes arriving It'l needed to wait for 2 x Quarantine guys to walk down each aisle of a wide-body with a can of very toxic smelling gunk disgorging into the air, that made many folks coff and splutter.

Not great arrival PR.

In well over a decade this has never occurred to me - on proabably 100 arrivals on many carriers.

AFAIK carriers now do a serious fumigation of aircraft to AQIS specs when in foreign bases, that they plan to send here to avoid the need for this weird arrival ritual.
Old Nov 12, 06, 7:48 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by blahman
I think last time I got sprayed was when I was on Ansett Australia, which is at least 5 years ago.
My UA plane was sprayed once last year after landing in SYD - the only time I experienced this.

At least they handed out damp towels for the F and C pax.
Old Nov 12, 06, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP
Originally Posted by ozstamps
Just to clarify, Australia has VERY strict quarantine laws that I fully agree with..
As all really nasty insects on this planet originate from Australia, I never
quite understood that ritual anyway .
Old Nov 12, 06, 7:53 pm

Programs: United Global Services and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
My UA plane was sprayed once last year after landing in SYD - the only time I experienced this.

At least they handed out damp towels for the F and C pax.
Next my family are flying to SYD for vacation (all in F and C).

Shall we be ready to be sprayed?
Old Nov 12, 06, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA Nobody (former 1K, 1P, 2P), QFF Nobody, Skywards Nobody
Hey Oz, the special treatment was just for you.

There was a similar thread about this sometime in the past five years.
Old Nov 12, 06, 8:06 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by kb1992
Next my family are flying to SYD for vacation (all in F and C).

Shall we be ready to be sprayed?
I do USA-SYD three to four times a year and I can assume ozstamps does it more frequently than I do. Since his post states the last time for him was twenty years back and my incident was once in 6 years, you can assume the probability will be very low. Anecdotal evidence only, however.
Old Nov 12, 06, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by weero

As all really nasty insects on this planet originate from Australia, I never
quite understood that ritual anyway .
Well I do not think AQIS (or our vast primary industry sector) agrees at all with that assertion.

http://www.affa.gov.au/content/publi...3E5D87CAB8AF20

I did think today with this pantomime going on spraying overheads, that seeing the plane flies back to USA in a few hours, any bugs up there now will likely end up back in the USA - and not Australia.
Old Nov 12, 06, 8:10 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Coronavirus, United MileagePlus, Environmentally Friendly Travel, FlyerTalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM/Plat; AS MVP 75K; AA gold; Fairmont & Starwood platinum; Hyatt diamond; Kimpton IC Elite
I've been sprayed in Africa and Central America as recently as a few months ago. I love how they always promise that it's "non-toxic".
Old Nov 12, 06, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA / SPG
I used to travel from Asia to Australia on Ansett Australia about 3-4 times a year and got sprayed every single time. Then Ansett said goodbye and I lost all my miles (having never redeemed any!) Then I switched to Cathay from Asia to Australia, and only flew a few times (cannot remember if I got sprayed).

I've done US-SYD twice over the past two years and did not get sprayed. However, most recently, I forgot that I had a banana in the outer pocket of my backpack and I placed it on the floor at the baggage reclaim. In came this little quarantine dog sniffing at my backpack and I got notated by the official (as I had ticked Nothing to Declare). I think she understood that it was a mistake. This onlooker smiled and laughed.
Old Nov 12, 06, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I went to OZ this year and got sprayed, I think on KE. It rarely happens on international flights. I try to hold my breath so I don't breath in the noxious stuff.
Old Nov 12, 06, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
I guess I am showing my age, but in the "old days" I remember flights to/from Europe all being sprayed. Pax always stayed on the plane during it. I have never seen the spray in SYD, I had it 20 years ago in AKL. Last time I had it done.

Search this Thread