Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Top spots outside of Sydney for first trip to Australia?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2006, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Top spots outside of Sydney for first trip to Australia?

Hi all!

I'm excited to be heading to Australia in December. I'm coming in the 3rd, and leaving the 15th, and plan to spend several days in Sydney, leaving me about a week to play with. I'm traveling with one friend (we're both 25 years old).

Right now, we're thinking of seeing Melbourne and taking a day to see the wineries in Yarra River. Destination 3 is really up in the air. Right now it's Cairns to see the town and snorkel by the Great Barrier reef (sounds a bit touristy, but alternatives to go see the GBR look more expensive than CNS).

We're flying home through Tahiti, so I'm not in need of beach time, though it doesn't hurt.

I've only begun flipping through my Lonely Planet guide, and would love some insider information - are we missing an obvious destination? What should we not miss?

Thanks everyone!

John
Old Oct 23, 2006, 5:04 pm

Programs: QC Life, AA
If you have the opportunity to visit both Melbourne and Sydney this will give you a good insight as they are considerably different, but you would definitely need several days in each city. You indicate that you are both 25 years old, but you don't indicate gender, so if female, Melbourne is known for its great shopping. I have not been to the wineries around the Yarra River so unable to comment, but when you are in Sydney you could spend a day or two in the Hunter Valley which is less than two hour drive north. Known around the world for their great wines

If you are planning on staying in Sydney for a couple of days it would take that long to see some of the many sights. You could spend a day just walking around The Rocks, climbing the Sydney Harbour Bridge (although many say they expected more from this), the many ferry trips around Sydney Harbour and its a beautiful 30min ferry ride from Circular Quay to Manly which is a great place for lunch at one of the beach front restaurants.

If you have time I definitely recommend diving the Great Barrier Reef, and there are many reef trips that leave from Cairns Harbour. There are some good flights at www.virginblue.com.au from SYD-CNS and just noticed they have flights for around $159 (incl taxes etc) "one way. I have dived at both the Great Barrier Reef and Tahiti, and there is no comparison the GBR is much better. You don't have to scuba as you get a great view of the coral using a snorkel. You can find some good accommon http://www.wotif.com/ and helpful hints on http://www.visitnsw.com.au/ and http://www.visitvictoria.com/

Hope this helps
Old Oct 23, 2006, 6:20 pm

Programs: Virgin Australia Velocity Gold
Hello jra3,

I agree with Maca44 - you should also try to visit Melbourne and the Great Barrier Reef (Cairns/Townsville).

Also, have you ever been to Uluru (Ayers Rock)? It's a costly destination but then you're able to visit 2 extremes - Outback/Central Australia and the Wet Tropics. I'd maybe look at 2 or so days here (Others recommend maybe 3?)

Perhaps you could fly SYD-MEL-AYQ-CNS-SYD?

You can fly Sydney-Melbourne on Qantas, Virgin Blue or Jetstar International. Melbourne to Uluru (Ayers Rock) may be operated on a limited schedule and only Qantas flies this route. AYQ-CNS, once again only Qantas/QantasLink fly this route, but there is 2 flights daily. From Cairns to Sydney you can choose Qantas, Jetstar or Virgin Blue.

Alternatively, you could always visit Tasmania and the many wonderful things it has to offer - especially nature-based!

Cheers
Old Oct 23, 2006, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
jra3 I would suggest 1 night at the Rock, it is very pricey accomodation and really can be seen in a day.

Sydney I would suggest at least 3 nights and 4 full days, otherwise you will really miss out. Melbourne is a little less tourist friendly but if you dig around then you can have a fantastic time there try finding a few secret bars tucked in little laneways. And yes there is shopping as Maca44 said, although with a name like John, I'm going to assume your male.

If your planning on getting plenty of beach time in Tahiti then I would go with QF NB 's suggestion and head to Tasmania, it is very beautiful and largely still untouristed although that is changing very quickly.

I'm sure if hobarthoney gets a hold of this thread he will be more than happy to tell you everything you need to know.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 9:37 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Velocity + Miles & More
Thank you for the intro Bensyd, Always happy to help!

I agree the big red rock is a great site and one or two nights is enough to see the sights. A helicopter ride and dinner under the stars "sounds of silence" plus a camel ride is a great way to get the most out of your time there.

I recommend a trip to Tasmania it will give you an insight to a very different Australia from Sydney and Melbourne. Tassie is a great place with huge amounts of natural beauty as well as great wine and great food.

If you stay in Hobart it’s an easy 20 minute drive to historic Richmond and some great wineries. 40 Minutes in the opposite direction is the beautiful Huon valley and a fabulous "sky walk" in the top of the trees.

A huge amount to see and do if you want any more information let me know!
Old Oct 23, 2006, 9:46 pm

Programs: QC Life, AA
Should have read the thread better, sorry John but with two 25 year olds visiting downunder you will have a great time whatever you do.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Hey, thanks everyone for the tips. Sounds like it's a consensus that CNS, SYD, and MEL are the places to be, with perhaps a trip over to Tassie or AYQ. AYQ looks a bit pricey - I might skip it, since my compadre is a bit more cost conscious that I will be, but we'll see.

Again, thanks all, and I'll keep checking back for suggestions if anyone else happens upon this thread.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by jra3
Hey, thanks everyone for the tips. Sounds like it's a consensus that CNS, SYD, and MEL are the places to be, with perhaps a trip over to Tassie or AYQ. AYQ looks a bit pricey - I might skip it, since my compadre is a bit more cost conscious that I will be, but we'll see.

Again, thanks all, and I'll keep checking back for suggestions if anyone else happens upon this thread.
If so I'd skip AYQ then...

Why don't you look at something like SYD-MEL-HBA/LST-MEL-CNS-SYD? Jetstar, Virgin Blue and Qantas all fly to Hobart, while Jetstar, Virgin Blue and QantasLink service Launceston. Watch out for some good deals

I've heard King Island (Tasmania's Northern-most island) is a nice place to visit. Not sure on prices and things, but I'd imagine after browsing the website I've given, you'll have a rough idea. My favourite airline, Regional Express (REX) will fly you there, in their comfortable Saab340s.

I guess a visit to "Discover Tasmania's" USA website may prove to be a useful starting pad.

Cheers
Old Oct 26, 2006, 1:31 pm

Lightbulb Can't Miss Places: Byron Bay & Tenterfield

Two great places. :-: Byron Bay :-: - a real must see. A great hippy hang out with a spectacular view. Be prepared to spend hours here. Great shopping. Byron Bay is the eastern most point in Australia and has a spectacular lighthouse - the most powerful in the southern hemisphere.

Tenterfield (north and east of Sydney but still in NSW): 1: The birthplace of Austrlian independence - this is where Sir Henry Parkes made a speech declaring Australia's independence from Great Britain. 2: Considered to be the Home of Australian songwriter :-: Peter Allen :-: - be sure to visit the world famous Tenterfield Saddler shop and also grab a bite to eat at the Famous Pie Shop.
3: The Tenterfield railway station is now a beautifully restored museum - and there is a great woodworking shop right across the street. 3: Travel north to Bald Rock National Park - a fun easy hike to the top of the largest solid block of granite anywhere, and if have time travel north about 40 minutes to the town of Wallangarra and stop by the train station - a great example of Architecture when two state governments don't get along!
Old Oct 26, 2006, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by MackeyBloom
Two great places. :-: Byron Bay :-: - a real must see. A great hippy hang out with a spectacular view. Be prepared to spend hours here. Great shopping. Byron Bay is the eastern most point in Australia and has a spectacular lighthouse - the most powerful in the southern hemisphere.
A hippy hangout? I thought the hippys left long ago now you just have yuppies from Sydney walking around in sarongs pretending they are hippies, Byron Bay is a tourist trap, I'd rather goto the Gold Coast at least there it doesn't hide the fact it is built for tourists.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 10:21 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Velocity + Miles & More
Originally Posted by MackeyBloom
Tenterfield (north and east of Sydney but still in NSW): 1: The birthplace of Austrlian independence - this is where Sir Henry Parkes made a speech declaring Australia's independence from Great Britain. 2: Considered to be the Home of Australian songwriter :-: Peter Allen :-: - be sure to visit the world famous Tenterfield Saddler shop and also grab a bite to eat at the Famous Pie Shop.
3: The Tenterfield railway station is now a beautifully restored museum - and there is a great woodworking shop right across the street. 3: Travel north to Bald Rock National Park - a fun easy hike to the top of the largest solid block of granite anywhere, and if have time travel north about 40 minutes to the town of Wallangarra and stop by the train station - a great example of Architecture when two state governments don't get along!
Come on would you really say Tenterfield is a MUST see destination? It is an interesting place and Tenterfield Saddler is a great song but there is plenty of other things to see and do before you go to Tenterfield.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 3:01 am

Originally Posted by hobarthoney
Come on would you really say Tenterfield is a MUST see destination? It is an interesting place and Tenterfield Saddler is a great song but there is plenty of other things to see and do before you go to Tenterfield.
Tenterfield (& surrounding region) is a nice place to visit, especially in Autumn, but would not be an appropriate place for the OP to visit on such limited time/budget.

MackeyBloom, do you happen to work for the Visitor Centre up that way, were your born there or do you just like Tenterfield? The New England region is one of the most beautiful regions in Australia and I enjoy travelling through the region - love Glen Innes too!

Been to Bald Rock a few times and have enjoyed it immensley. Wallanagara/Jennings is also a great place, it's nice to see the station (with dual-guage) has been spruced up. Interstingly, it would be an experience to be in Wallangarra/Jennings during the State of Origin Also, it's a real shame the Apple Trains will no longer be servicing the railway down that way - that was definitely a sight to see - especially around "Devil's Elbow".

jra3, I still believe you should visit Tasmania! There's a wide range of activities you can take part in and there are many beautiful towns to visit.

Cheers
Old Nov 26, 2006, 1:11 am

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
I'll throw my suggestion into the hat too (although it is a bit late). My GF and I (both 27) just spent 3 weeks in Oz in October. We hit Adelaide, Ayers Rock, Sydney, Cairns and finally Melbourne (at least that was the plan, trip got cut short so we missed MEL). Everywhere on this list has been mentioned except Adelaide, which I would highly recommend. The wine tasting in the Barossa Valley was a lot of fun and a big change from the prior experiences we had in Napa (i.e. everything was free, from the smallest winery all the way up to Penfolds). The Adelaide Zoo and the city itself was a great way to start our trip (an easy introduction to driving and time zone differences). Also, there is a great little zoo outside Adelaide called Gorge Wildlife Park where there are walkthought habitats of kagaroos and wallabies you can pet and feed, as well as the opportunity to hold a koala (both things we didnt find anywhere else).
Old Nov 26, 2006, 5:51 am

Programs: QF Bronze, Velocity
I'll add to the Tassie vote. I'm 28 and live down here, most ppl complain but I personally LOVE it. Lots of real natural stuff to do within 2 hours drive of Hobart or Lonnie.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.