FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Oceania (Australia, New Zealand & the South Pacific) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oceania-australia-new-zealand-south-pacific-461/)
-   -   Geelong, Australia (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oceania-australia-new-zealand-south-pacific/612154-geelong-australia.html)

rstidolph Oct 12, 2006 3:50 pm

Geelong, Australia

Just got word that due to port congestion our stop in Melborne has been moved to Geelong. Geelong is about an hour south of Melbourne.

My question is, are there things to do in the area that would make up for missing Melbourne, or should we bite the bullet and take the package tour to Melbourne?

riced Oct 12, 2006 3:57 pm

It all depends on what you want to do. Melbourne is a large city with large shopping centers, museums, the Yarra river, etc. Geelong is a much smaller regional city, but it is also on the bay. You can walk from the pier to shopping, restaurants, etc. You are also closer to the Great Ocean Road, which is a beautiful drive if you wish to rent a car. Barwon Heads or Queenscliff are nice places to have lunch and walk along the beach. Both are 15 minutes drive from Geelong.

bensyd Oct 13, 2006 12:46 am

Originally Posted by rstidolph
Just got word that due to port congestion our stop in Melborne has been moved to Geelong. Geelong is about an hour south of Melbourne.

My question is, are there things to do in the area that would make up for missing Melbourne, or should we bite the bullet and take the package tour to Melbourne?

Go to Melbourne there is nothing in Geelong.

riced Oct 13, 2006 9:28 am

Originally Posted by bensyd

Simply untrue. Its the largest regional city in Victoria with a redeveloped waterfront, the national wool museum, botanic gardens, not to mention numerous wineries on the Bellarine peninsula. Check out www.visitgeelong.org

Regional cities need foreign tourism dollars.

cpx Oct 13, 2006 9:36 am

I'd say head to the great ocean road. Geelong is a pretty small town.
and if you must go the city, Melbourne is not so far.

Dudemon Oct 13, 2006 10:01 am

Originally Posted by riced
...the national wool museum.

LOL :D :D :D

turtlemichael Oct 14, 2006 12:55 am

The OP should consider him/herself lucky. :)

Melbourne is a city of 3+ million people. It has some good features, particularly if you live there - restaurants, music etc. It has a few things for tourists visiting for a day but, at the end of it all, it is just another city and not a particularly great one at that. There are 100 cities around the world like it - many better, some worse.

So, get on a tour or hire a car, see the Great Ocean Road, sample some of the superb wineries, visit Ballarat, Queenscliff or Barwon Heads, see and maybe swim and surf at some of the best ocean beaches in the world (beaches accessible to Melbourne are akin to swimming in cold flat piddle - ask Prince Charles :p ). You've hit the jackpot! With a bit of innovation you could have a day you'll fondly remember for a long time.

bensyd Oct 14, 2006 3:13 am

Originally Posted by turtlemichael
The OP should consider him/herself lucky. :)

Melbourne is a city of 3+ million people. It has some good features, particularly if you live there - restaurants, music etc. It has a few things for tourists visiting for a day but, at the end of it all, it is just another city and not a particularly great one at that. There are 100 cities around the world like it - many better, some worse.

So, get on a tour or hire a car, see the Great Ocean Road, sample some of the superb wineries, visit Ballarat, Queenscliff or Barwon Heads, see and maybe swim and surf at some of the best ocean beaches in the world (beaches accessible to Melbourne are akin to swimming in cold flat piddle - ask Prince Charles :p ). You've hit the jackpot! With a bit of innovation you could have a day you'll fondly remember for a long time.

Thats a bit unfair. And the OP originally asked should I stay in Geelong or goto Melbourne. The answer to that question would most definatley be goto Melbourne. In regards to the Great Ocean Road yes it is definatley worth visiting, but if I only had one day I would rather go into Melbourne and have a look around its a beautiful city and has alot to offer. To say its not particularly great is abit strange I don't know what your comparing it too. :confused:

Humshee Oct 14, 2006 3:29 am

Melbourne

Unless you want to go to the Great Ocean Road, I would say go to Melbourne (as I have lived in Geelong). It;s a nice small town to live .. but nothing to see .. especially compared with Melbourne.

There are frequent trains from Geelong station to Melbourne (Spencer Street)

turtlemichael Oct 14, 2006 3:50 am

To say its not particularly great is abit strange I don't know what your comparing it too. :confused:

It's a city - it is a good place but it's a city like so many others of its size across the US, UK, and Europe. All I'm doing is suggesting the OP see something else. That part of Australia is very attractive with a lot of options for someone with only a day to spare. Search Bellarine Peninsula on Google if you want to find out more. I'm sure the OP will make up his/her own mind and come up with a good day. I'm giving options rather than just saying, Geelong has nothing, go to Melbourne. You could easily spend a couple of interesting hours in Geelong (see earlier posts) and then go off touring the area as I suggested. You'd have a fabulous memorable day. But if big cities are your thing, go up to Melbourne and you'll have a good day too.

bensyd Oct 14, 2006 10:20 am

Originally Posted by turtlemichael
It's a city - it is a good place but it's a city like so many others of its size across the US, UK, and Europe. All I'm doing is suggesting the OP see something else. That part of Australia is very attractive with a lot of options for someone with only a day to spare. Search Bellarine Peninsula on Google if you want to find out more. I'm sure the OP will make up his/her own mind and come up with a good day. I'm giving options rather than just saying, Geelong has nothing, go to Melbourne. You could easily spend a couple of interesting hours in Geelong (see earlier posts) and then go off touring the area as I suggested. You'd have a fabulous memorable day. But if big cities are your thing, go up to Melbourne and you'll have a good day too.

Ahh ok, now I'm getting you. I still disagree that you would find much to do in Geelong as you wouldn't in Newcastle or Woolongong, but as you point out it is up to the OP to make up their mind. The Great Ocean Road is fantastic but so is Melbourne, interestingly the OP doesn't say how long they will be in port for so it may be feasible for them to see both.... :)

rstidolph Oct 19, 2006 5:45 pm

Ok, the oceann road sounds great, but the couple we are traveling with want to see Melbourne. We are in port from 7 Am to 5:30 PM. What would be the best way to get to Melbourne? Is it possible to hire a driver, who will then give us a tour of Melbourne?

Thanks