Auckland Stamford Plaza

Old Sep 28, 06, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Auckland Stamford Plaza

Looking to book a hotel in Auckland for two nights Jan 19 to 21, 2007. I stayed at the Stamford Plaza five years ago and it was very nice. On another web site I saw that it had been closed for renovations. Any one have an opinion.
Old Sep 28, 06, 4:05 pm

I believe it is still closed, and not due to open until the 2nd October.

(At least that's what a Stamford email sent to me yesterday said).
Old Sep 28, 06, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

Would it make sense to reserve now and wait for some reviews. The current rate is really good.
Old Sep 29, 06, 6:46 am

Can't recommend either way. Havn't seen the hotel in ages.

This is another email I received today:

"Re-opening Special Offer from NZ$175+GST!
Dear ,

STAMFORD PLAZA AUCKLAND HOTEL RE-OPENS AFTER $10 MILLION DOLLAR RE-FURBISHMENT!

To celebrate the new look, the Stamford Plaza Auckland has released a special re-opening rate from only NZ$175+GST per night*, including a NZ$10 drink voucher for use at the stylish new Knights Lobby Bar.

Limited time offer! Click here to book the Re-opening Special online.

The multi-million dollar renovation has re-introduced a unique international 'flavour' to the luxuriously appointed hotel.
In addition to the new design of the hotels 282 rooms and 19 suites, the refurbishment also includes a new grand entrance foyer, and three new dining outlets.

The new lobby restaurant called Knights which will feature a breakfast buffet, express lunch buffet and an exclusive a la carte evening menu. The Knights Lobby Bar is the perfect place to meet with friends or relax with a drink. The elegant and theatrical Kabuki Teppanyaki Restaurant is anticipated to be best of it's kind in New Zealand.

For further information visit www.stamford.com.au/spak or phone +64 9 309 8888

* Limited availability at this special rate
"
Old Oct 1, 06, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

I booked the room, was told however that the drink coupon was for October 6th only.

Thanks.
Old Oct 1, 06, 10:15 pm

Programs: united airlines
That promo rate appears to be sold out Nov 25 when we will be in Auckland (maybe Nov 24 too). What recommendations for other hotels in the city for short stay before flying to Cairns early AM? (Any recommendations for Christchurch hotels?)
Old Oct 4, 06, 12:55 pm

Programs: OnePass Plat Elite
Originally Posted by itsme
That promo rate appears to be sold out Nov 25 when we will be in Auckland (maybe Nov 24 too). What recommendations for other hotels in the city for short stay before flying to Cairns early AM? (Any recommendations for Christchurch hotels?)
Try Heritage Auckland hotel.....great location and price: 195 NZD or less per night.
http://www.heritagehotels.co.nz

In Christchurch, Grand Chancellor is good.
Old Oct 4, 06, 12:55 pm

Heritage Hotel AKL, Grand Chancellor, CHC

Try Heritage Auckland hotel or sistery property CityLife off Queen Street.....great locations and price: 195 NZD or less per night.

Old Oct 4, 06, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by malhotrb
Try Heritage Auckland hotel or sistery property CityLife off Queen Street.....great locations and price: 195 NZD or less per night.

Thanks for the recommendation. Rather than 195 NZD or less per night, though, it appears that all their rooms for the end of November are at least twice that rate.
Old Oct 5, 06, 7:23 am

I am surprised

Thanks for the recommendation. Rather than 195 NZD or less per night, though, it appears that all their rooms for the end of November are at least twice that rate.
I just booked yesterday for 1-3 Dec for that rate.
Old Oct 5, 06, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by malhotrb
I just booked yesterday for 1-3 Dec for that rate.
Intriguing! I checked your dates (Dec 1-3) on their website and see the cheapest room offered then is 242 NZD. For my dates (Nov 25-26), though, it is 383 NZD, about 60% more expensive. Rather remarkable since our dates are only one week apart and both over weekends, so not an issue of mid-week vs. weekend. (Have a look for yourself and tell me if you come up with different results for the Heritage Auckland.)

Is Nov 25 a special occasion in Auckland?
Old Oct 5, 06, 11:45 am

Intriguing! I checked your dates (Dec 1-3) on their website and see the cheapest room offered then is 242 NZD. For my dates (Nov 25-26), though, it is 383 NZD, about 60% more expensive. Rather remarkable since our dates are only one week apart and both over weekends, so not an issue of mid-week vs. weekend. (Have a look for yourself and tell me if you come up with different results for the Heritage Auckland.)

Is Nov 25 a special occasion in Auckland?
Indeed the rates are much higher now compared with yesterday when I booked.

There is a big international conference in CHC so I guess people connecting thru AKL, such as myself, are doing an extended layover either outbound or inbound.

Sorry this didn't help you. But check out Millenium hotels website...they are a big chain and have multiple properties in AKL.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: