Cheap and decent hotel - Brisbane / BGSB

Old Sep 21, 2006, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA(EXP), BA, Hilton, Starwood
Cheap and decent hotel - Brisbane / BGSB

I'm going to be spending several days in Brisbane in November checking out schools and apartments - anyone have any opinions about a cheap decent hotel/B&B/whatever were I could stay?

Thanks!
Old Sep 21, 2006, 2:31 pm
Suspended

http://www.wotif.com/?country=1
Old Sep 21, 2006, 5:05 pm

Programs: Virgin Australia Velocity Gold
As krug has suggested, check out Wotif.com

IIRC, there should be an Accor Formule1 Motel somewhere on Brisbane's Nth, near the Royal Brisbane Hospital. They should offer cheap rates for the few days you require and the area near the Hospital has good Bus access and is close to the Railway.

Checkout the Holiday Inn in Brisbane, as they usually offer a AUD$90 a night rate around November/December/January. They also offer cheap Executive Club Rooms, which I have taken advantage of in the past.

There's a few of the smaller Best Western motels and IIRC there's one near Toowong. This area is perfect as it is right next to a shopping centre, rail/bus and is very close to the River.

There's quite a number of Hotels in Brisbane, so plenty of choice. You've got your Ibis, Novotel, Mercure, YHAs and so forth. Type in "Brisbane Accommodation" (or something similar) and you should be given a vast array of options.

If you're wanting something cheap, clean and comfortable, I'd keep an eye on the Formule1 Motels.

Cheers
Old Sep 22, 2006, 11:16 pm

Programs: QF Bronze, Velocity
Unless you want slightly dodgy avoid hotels in the Brunswick St/Valley Area. While it has been cleaned up recently it still has a not so good vibe about it. I'd suggest looking at staying around where you will be living. There are some good places around Toowong/St Lucia - not sure on the price, but can find names etc for you if you want. Drop me a PM.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 10:25 am

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Any new thoughts?

Sorry for digging up an old thread, but this was what I found. I'll be there for five days, May 19-24, 2011.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 3:44 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Serviced apts are good value in Brisbane, as there is a glut of new residential apt construction in the CBD and many are now a mixture of residences and hotel rooms in the same building. Oaks (mgmt chain) has something like 8 properties within a few blocks of each other, so prices are cheaper than in SYD or MEL. I've stayed at Oaks Charlotte St. which was OK for the price and had a nice gym/pool.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 12:46 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Avoid the Ibis -- it was a dump

First room I was given did not have direct elevator service ("take the elevator to 15 and then walk up to 16...") and within seconds of walking in the door I was greeted by some sort of crawling insect on the desk

Was given another room on lower floor but checked out as soon as I could the next morning
Old Mar 22, 2011, 7:50 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Queensland is in the tropics, which means insects thrive everywhere. Places that don't have insects at all use lots of insecticide -- which is healthier for you? Ibis is the budget brand for Accor (slight step up from Formule 1, but not much), so you knew it would be unpretentious at best. After the flood hotels are cheaper in Brisbane, so lots of better ones to choose from now at low prices, though that will end once tourists and business travel returns to normal. As it should, it is a great place to visit esp. now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.