Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2 week Australia trip - NZ stopover worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2006, 12:06 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

2 week Australia trip - NZ stopover worth it?

I'm doing a two week Australia trip. I'm wondering if going to New Zealand will be worth it. From another post, I'm told my best bet would be to hang around Aukland for 2 days. Should I just spend more time in Australia?
Old Aug 29, 2006, 12:10 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by thegeneral
I'm doing a two week Australia trip. I'm wondering if going to New Zealand will be worth it. From another post, I'm told my best bet would be to hang around Aukland for 2 days. Should I just spend more time in Australia?
Yes. Other places in NZ, maybe. AKL is a watered-down, worse weather, not as pretty version of SYD. Maybe I'm partial, but I think most non-NZers would agree.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 12:11 pm
cpx

Programs: Many

I don't remember your proposed itinerary for Australia, but I dont think
2-3 days in Auckland is a bad idea.

If you can list a possible full itinerary, we might be able to comment a bit more.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 12:29 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I have people in Newcastle I will be visiting. We will be spending some time 2-3 days in Sydney. Other than that, I will probably be spending 4 days in Airlie Beach to do one day of pure dives on a day trip, a 2 day sailing trip (including dives and snorkelling) and also a 1 day trip of sea kayaking. I was thinking of going to Cairns for diving though as I was told that the Whitsundays have lesser diving. Of course, that input came from people who put together tours out of Cairns.

If someone wants to give me $2,500 AUD I'll go diving with great whites on the south of the continent and send you pictures.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 1:39 pm
cpx

If someone wants to give me $2,500 AUD I'll go diving with great whites on the south of the continent and send you pictures.
Nice try

I'll be heading to NZ this November.. but it will be the south island.

I'd say, if the time sounds right and the place has enough interesting
things for you to do.. go ahead. If I had 2 weeks, I would have done the
same thing.

but thats just my preference.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 2:20 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

You would have done what thing?
Old Aug 29, 2006, 2:22 pm
cpx

You would have done what thing?
Sorry If I wasnt specific enough, but If I had 2 weeks at a streatch
I would have included Newzealand on my trip.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 3:58 pm

Programs: SPG Plat UA 1P Hilton Gold CO dirt
I did a triangle to WLG/AKL in my overall trip:
MEL for 3 nights
SYD 4 nights
WLG 2 nights
AKL 1 night
CNS 3 nights
SYD 1 night
Old Sep 3, 2006, 4:41 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Well that's informative. Are you saying it was a good idea or a bad idea?
Old Sep 3, 2006, 9:57 pm

Programs: SPG Plat UA 1P Hilton Gold CO dirt
Well that's informative. Are you saying it was a good idea or a bad idea?
This is what I hate about the internet... you can't tell from the tone of what I'm saying (errr...typing).

I thought going to WLG for 2 nights was worth it. Got there late on day 1, had dinner. Day 2, see the sights, Te Papa Museum and took a tour of LOTR sights in and around WLG, highlight being where they built Rivendell.

With one more day in WLG, you can take the ferry to the South Island. The night in AKL was really "forced" because the AKL-CNS flight is very early, 6am'ish, and so there are no possible same day connections.

Overall, we were glad to take this side trip to NZ, since we didn't know when we would be back in this part of the world. It also happened to sort of fit in flights wise.
Old Sep 7, 2006, 10:00 pm

Programs: NorthSails® | Starboard | ION
...From another post, I'm told my best bet would be to hang around Aukland for 2 days...
While not necessarily concurring with stevenshev's assessment of Auckland, I think that a short visit of that length might be better spent in Wellington as it provides a distinctly unique experience; it's compact, yet has the feel of a city with a good vibe, restaurants, nightlife, culture, etc... The setting is spectacular and there are lots of activities within easy reach (ferry to Picton, drive to the Wairarapa Valley, etc.).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.