Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Auckland lodging for a 12 day stay for a family of 4!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2006, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Auckland lodging for a 12 day stay for a family of 4!

My Japanese friend, his wife and their 2 kids (6 and 3) will be travelling to Auckland for 12 days at the end of this month. They have yet to book a room and seem to be looking for a place with 2 bedrooms. I did find a Comfort Inn in Newton which seems to fit the bill. How is this place? Anyone know? Can anyone suggest another accomodation. They will be in Auckland to scout out investment opportunities(real estate) and find out about the "kiwi" lifestyle.
Cheers.......
Old Jun 16, 2006, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Husband AA EXP (yeah!!) Hya Dia, Marriott
Auckland has many 'short stay' apartment listings. I honestly have not tried any, but I imagine the quality would be fairly high, like most NZ accommodation.

http://www.moveandstay.com.au/auckla...apartments.asp
Old Jun 24, 2006, 10:51 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
How about a homestay? That's a terrific way to get a feel for the "Kiwi lifestyle." http://www.innsite.com/ maintains listings, including for Auckland. We stayed on the north side of Auckland with John and Pat Heerdegen ("Heerdegens on Hillcrest Homestay,") but there are many locations to choose from.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
How about a homestay? That's a terrific way to get a feel for the "Kiwi lifestyle." http://www.innsite.com/ maintains listings, including for Auckland. We stayed on the north side of Auckland with John and Pat Heerdegen ("Heerdegens on Hillcrest Homestay,") but there are many locations to choose from.
Thank you both for your links. They have decided to stay in Auckland first for 3 days and then rent a car and wander around the North Island. They actually found a homestay with your site JDiver and are staying at a executive apartment in downtown Auckland.
Cheers,
QSG
Old Jul 2, 2006, 4:50 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Good on ya, mate! I think you'll enjoy North Island... and for a unique gift, if yuo like woodcrafts, look for a handmade piece from old swamp kauri wood, preserved by the swamp environment - some swamp kauri is as old as 50,000 years!

The remnant living kauri forest (much of the kauris are said to have succumbed to the "Axe Age,") is majestic and stately - Tane Mahuta, or Lord of the Forest in the Maori langauge, resides in the Waipoua Forest on North Island - 1,200 years old, 170 ft high with a 46 foot girth.

A Northland Communities website with some information: link.

A reliable auto rental company I have used is "Rent A Dent." They are throughout NZ, and though the name suggests wrecked cars, they actually buy used Japanese autos and rent them. Japanese take obsessive care of their automobiles, but get rid of them between 3 - 5 years of use; as I understand it after five years, it's no longer economical to relicense, so off they go to NZ and other destinations. We had a nice (and reasonably priced!) Toyota Camry both times we rented from them. (Right hand drive and driving on the left, of course.)

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
Thank you both for your links. They have decided to stay in Auckland first for 3 days and then rent a car and wander around the North Island. They actually found a homestay with your site JDiver and are staying at a executive apartment in downtown Auckland.
Cheers,
QSG

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.