New Zealand master thread

Old Dec 21, 2017, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Yeah I heard APEX allows gravel roads, unfortunately they don't have counter in Dunedin (where we rented the car)

We ended up choosing Hertz.
And it was a good choice.
Hassle free, good car, most importantly they are not nitpicky and finding faults.
As long as it is not a major damage (ie noticeable), you're good to go.
We had a blast in NZ
Old Dec 13, 2018, 12:38 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
We will be in NZ for most of March. We are planning to rent places in Aukland, Wellington and Christchurch for a few days each and do day trips from there. If we are mostly going to do organized trips and hit city highlights is it possible to get by with cabs/public transit, or do we really need a car? Is Uber active in NZ?

Also, any recommendations on wineries in the vicinity of those three cities?

How about an update on craft beers? I am a dark beer guy, porters and stouts.

Thanks.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by Michilander
We will be in NZ for most of March. We are planning to rent places in Aukland, Wellington and Christchurch for a few days each and do day trips from there. If we are mostly going to do organized trips and hit city highlights is it possible to get by with cabs/public transit, or do we really need a car? Is Uber active in NZ?

Thanks.
I spent 2 months there a while back. Started in Auckland and finished in Te Anu. The only time I rented a car was to get from Picton (after taking the ferry across the Strait) to Nelson. Other than that I used public/private transport and didn't have any issues getting to the major places and the big cities. But I was mostly interested in doing the Great Walks, which are easily accessible. If you want to go off the beaten path and visit some wineries (have no intel on that), a car would probably be helpful and would let you experience the scenery on your terms.

Enjoy the trips. It's one of the most spectacular places on earth.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
You can definitely survive without a car in the cities. We did (with a toddler too). However you are really missing out if you have a month and don’t visit Queenstown. It was my favorite place on the entire trip (though the glaciers were amazing too).
Old Dec 23, 2018, 5:36 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Thanks to both of you for the intel. Sounds like we will be able to get away without rental cars.

One other question; anyone know of laundries that offer wash and fold services in the cities?
Old Mar 3, 2020, 10:03 am

In the US, there are tiers of car rental companies - Hertz and Avis tend to have the newest (and most expensive) rentals, and then there are tiers below that with slightly older cars for a bit less, and they keep working their way down.

How would you describe the tiers of campervan rental companies? Which companies are top-tier, mid-tier and the bottom-of-the-barrel?
Old Mar 3, 2020, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MastaHanky
In the US, there are tiers of car rental companies - Hertz and Avis tend to have the newest (and most expensive) rentals, and then there are tiers below that with slightly older cars for a bit less, and they keep working their way down.

How would you describe the tiers of campervan rental companies?
Which companies are top-tier, mid-tier and the bottom-of-the-barrel?
Just look the price per day. One company has 3 brands. As they get older they go down the chain.
Comparison site:- https://www.vroomvroomvroom.co.nz/campervans/
On this site look at the very bottom on the web page (on a laptop) https://www.apollocamper.co.nz/

But some campervans are bigger than others, so price can vary.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 3:38 pm

I generally prefer to get "pre dented' cars. A brand new one is the worst . Some brands offer older cars, i.e. Juicy's "El Cheapo". I've had these and took them on gravel roads. Never an issue. Most rentals in NZ are straight forward. By law they have to come with insurance. Without paying extra, the excess (deductible) tends to be high, i.e. NZD3000, but that's the most you ever pay. If you have a credit card or travel insurance that covers the excess, you are golden.
Old Dec 22, 2022, 6:10 am

Programs: QF WP, SQ PPS
CHC Transfer

Hi all! I’m flying MEL-CHC in late Feb on QF133, landing 1430 NZT then connecting to NSN on either NZ5852 (dep. 1610) else NZ5856 (dep. 1800). I’ll be traveling with checked luggage. Is 1h enough to clear immigration, bag reclaim, and customs - and get to the domestic check in hall for bag drop by 1540 NZT? It seems ambitious, especially given QF133 sometimes lands late… but grateful for any thoughts.
Old Dec 22, 2022, 6:10 am

Programs: QF WP, SQ PPS
CHC Transfer, Int’l - Domestic

Hi all! I’m flying MEL-CHC in late Feb on QF133, landing 1430 NZT then connecting to NSN on either NZ5852 (dep. 1610) else NZ5856 (dep. 1800). I’ll be traveling with checked luggage. Is 1h enough to clear immigration, bag reclaim, and customs - and get to the domestic check in hall for bag drop by 1540 NZT? It seems ambitious, especially given QF133 sometimes lands late… but grateful for any thoughts.
Old Dec 22, 2022, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Asics
The same ticket/PNR or separate tickets? If the same its the problem of QF-Air NZ.
NZ5852 closing at 15:40 and 1:40hr departure-arrival (16:10 14:30) is a risk I would take on separate tickets if a later flight that could change to.
If separate tickets schedule changes between now & February a risk.

As a user of QF133 flight often arrives early. With e-gate & checked bag I can be out within 20 minutes.. But at times more or less. Depends on how many international flights arrive about the same time. Air NZ SYD flight NZ226 and Air NZ MEL NZ212 flight can arrive about the same time.

Its a 2 minute walk international arrivals to domestic checkin/bag drop. To the right exiting arrivals hall.
Asics likes this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Dec 22, 2022 at 10:54 am
Old Jun 1, 2023, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA, AC, BA, AA
Hi, Any suggestions for places/stores to explore at Auckland airport? Will be my first time there even just as a transit stop
Old Jun 2, 2023, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by l0uvre
Hi, Any suggestions for places/stores to explore at Auckland airport? Will be my first time there even just as a transit stop
AKL airport web site--> https://www.aucklandairport.co.nz/

Not sure I understand your question. More details would help. How many hours as transit?
AKL is small. In 15 minutes you will have seen it all.
So just doing a transit at AKL? International to international or international to domestic?
If 1 PNR/ticket any checked bags will be interlined on international flights.
If separate tickets or wanting to go land side will need to clear immigration, customs & bio-security.
-->NZeTA required from 1 October 2019 to visit or transit New Zealand
Old Jun 2, 2023, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA, AC, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
AKL airport web site--> https://www.aucklandairport.co.nz/

Not sure I understand your question. More details would help. How many hours as transit?
AKL is small. In 15 minutes you will have seen it all.
So just doing a transit at AKL? International to international or international to domestic?
If 1 PNR/ticket any checked bags will be interlined on international flights.
If separate tickets or wanting to go land side will need to clear immigration, customs & bio-security.
-->NZeTA required from 1 October 2019 to visit or transit New Zealand
Ohh, it will jus be two hours as transit. The transit is International to international. I'm not sure whether I'd have time to check out somewhere outside AKL though
Old Jun 2, 2023, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by l0uvre
Ohh, it will just be two hours as transit. The transit is International to international. I'm not sure whether I'd have time to check out somewhere outside AKL though
In NZ (and AU) international departures & international departures are physically separate.
Allowing for the time to get off the aircraft, go through I to I security, and the time to board before scheduled departure you will have maybe 60-80min in the departures area.
Guess you are on Air NZ.
Depending on your passport you may need an NZeTA visa even for air side transit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.