Search

AKL (Auckland, NZ) airport-related thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2007, 6:32 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Per this thread, departure tax to change from 1 July 2008. Tax split to arrival and departure, an increase in level, and will be collected at ticketing. Although the changes announced are for AKL only, I'd expect the other international airports in NZ to follow suit.
For each international arrival AND international departure at AKL.

Travel dates 1 July 2008 to 30 June 2009 - NZD 13.00 each
Travel dates 1 July 2009 to 30 June 2010 - NZD 13.50 each
Travel dates 1 July 2010 to 30 June 2011 - NZD 14.00 each
Old Aug 2, 2007, 1:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Premier Plat, UA Plat
Kiwiflyer and others,

I was hoping for some advice regarding my trip to AKL. I'm scheduled to get into AKL on Dec 24th and then to leave on Dec 29th. Will Auckland and/or the rest of New Zealand be completely dead (ie everyone with their families, shops and restaurants closed) while I am there? I figure the 24th and 25th everything will be closed, but what about the 26th-28th? I'm trying to figure out if its worth being there for effectively only 3 days. All opinions appreciated.
Old Aug 2, 2007, 2:01 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Dec 24th is crazy day - last minute shopping, many people travelling, many businesses close at lunch time.
Dec 25th - everything closed.
Dec 26th - public holiday but most places will be open. Many people travelling. Lots of sales. Some bars & restaurants have a public holiday surcharge (say 20%).
Dec 27/28 - normal day, but main cities quiet and holiday areas very busy.
Old Aug 3, 2007, 1:51 am

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Dec 25th - everything closed.
Most things closed yes, but not everything. You can find some restaurants open on the 25th around Viaduct Harbour and other parts of the CBD, a few shops open selling to tourists and if you're really hard up, a few Star Markets open.

It's a fairly big change from 10 or even 5 years ago when AKL's CBD seemed totally devoid of life on Dec 25th.
Old Aug 3, 2007, 10:33 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Okay 99.9% closed. There really are very few businesses that are allowed to open on Christmas Day.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 6:31 pm

Programs: SPG Gold; PC RA Plat; UA 1P
Auckland Airport ATM's

I know Bank of New Zealand has a number of ATM's and branches at AKL. But their exchange rates are pretty poor. For those with Bank of America accounts, there's no fee for Westpac Bank ATM's. Are there any Westpac ATM's at AKL? Where?

Also, the airbus website says that you pay the driver directly, is that right? No kiosk to dispense tickets? PIN credit card transactions only? Doesn't allow standard non-PIN credit card transactions to purchase?
Old Aug 23, 2007, 8:48 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

I don't think there are any in the terminals. I can only remember seeing BNZ and ASB. There might be a Westpac ATM at the nearby shopping centre?

Airbus is cash only.
Old Oct 7, 2007, 11:37 am
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP (3.3MM), AAirpass, SQ-PPS Solitaire, DL-PM (.777MM), SPG-Plat, HH-D
Am I correct that there are no Hotels within throwing distance of AKL? I seem to recall a few before entering Epsom on the way to CBD but nothing real close to AKL, anyone can comment on that? Thx
Old Oct 7, 2007, 11:40 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

There are a few airport hotels a couple of kilometers from the airport. They have airport shuttles (no other public transport) but the hotels are so poor that generally better to stay in the city itself.
Old Oct 7, 2007, 5:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EP, UA 1K, DL GM, Tumlare Bussresor Super Class
How strict are they with the 24 hour rule for not paying departure tax when making a connection at AKL?
My RAR-AKL-NAN flights have a 24 hr 15 min connection time at AKL and having to pay $25 because of the extra 15 minutes would feel a little silly.
Old Oct 7, 2007, 5:33 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

From what I gather - they are strict. But doesn't hurt to ask for an exemption sticker at the bank counter. The worst they can say is no.
Old Oct 7, 2007, 6:58 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

How do you get an exemption sticker? Just ask on departure if you have been there less than 24 hours?

Seems like you ought to have to do something on arrival to establish your arrival time.
Old Oct 7, 2007, 8:04 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Go to the bank and show boarding pass for your arriving flight (and boarding pass for your departing flight).
Old Oct 7, 2007, 8:05 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Go to the bank and show boarding pass for your arriving flight (and boarding pass for your departing flight).

Note that from next July this process will become a thing of the past as all tickets have departure tax (and arrival tax) included.
Old Oct 7, 2007, 8:11 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Note that from next July this process will become a thing of the past as all tickets have departure tax (and arrival tax) included.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.