Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where Would You Go In Australia or South Pacific?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2003, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Where Would You Go In Australia or South Pacific?

I'm going to New Zealand on the Air Tahiti special in July. I spent 3 weeks in New Zealand 16 years ago and was in Australia (Sydney, Melbourne, Gold Coast) one year ago. I'm trying to decide whether I should go somewhere else besides New Zealand on this trip.

Would anyone recommend a South Pacific Island (like Tonga, American Samoa) or Fiji (if not looking to spend a lot). Or would anyone recommend Perth. I'm trying to get to Darwin or Cairns, but I can't find any return award availability.
Old Jun 25, 2003, 2:30 am

Programs: Air France FP. A rave ato'a ia'u te manureva. Haere maru!
I've a big fan of the South Pacific and have gone several times to several places, French Polynesia mostly, where I know the 'little' places on the non touristy islands and atolls for less than $100 including 3 meals in the most beautiful areas with the most incredible people.

Im not really a 'resort' person, but rather I like to seek out the cultural aspects of south pacific traveling. I like little bungalows on the beach, sharing delicious meals with the fellow travelers and the hosts, and going on excursions and really just relaxing with few people.

That said, there are several places in the so. pacific such as Fr. Polynesia, the Cook Islands, Fiji, Samoa, Tonga and Niue. I've been to all of them except Tonga and Niue.

I 'd love to give advice, BUT I have no idea what your comfort and travel level is ie. do you need a claw foot bathtub in the room? Air conditioning? Room service? Plug ins for your electrical appliances, choices of what to eat each night etc. I dont' usually do those types of places.

The only thing I will say is that American Samoa is not really geared for tourism. Actually not at all geared for tourism. Beautiful island, but Pago Pago is not a place to stay awhile in. Ofu Island about a 45 min flight away is spectacular, but if you are flying to Ofu, you might as well fly the opposite direction to (western/independent) Samoa and stay on Upolu or Savai'i. Fiji is incredible with a wide selection of far flung islands from Taveuni to Kadavu plus the Mamanucas and Yawasas. The cooks are great, but a not my type really as most of the places are self catering (which I don't like to do). Tonga is best if you go to Vava'u group or Ha'apai and not stay on the main Tongata'pu (IMO).
Old Jun 25, 2003, 3:29 am

Perth is a nice town, very laid back lifestyle, nice warm dry summers, and mild winters though can get pretty cold at times.

There are a few things to do in Perth - northbridge, rottnest island, fremantle, the markets throughout - subiaco, etc. an aussie rules footy match, swan valley boat cruise for wines. Try http://www.westernaustralia.net for more info or http://www.tourism.wa.gov.au

Though i've never been i've seen some pretty specatcular photos from the Cook Islands, perhaps they may be worth considering in your list of choices...

Cairns is great if you're a tourist, plenty of things to see and do.
Old Jun 25, 2003, 12:47 pm
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
Yes, do WA!!!!!!!!!

We have been twice, both times about 10 days, see trip reports. Western Australia really is a place to see, without any crowds.
Lots of fauna...some pretty interesting flora too. Great ocean scenery. Nice drive and tours. Be prepared for loooong drive between things, as this is a vast area of minimal population. Lots of historic to see.
Old Jun 27, 2003, 11:41 pm

Programs: United. Continental, BA, Starwood
For those who would like to view some incredible pictorial images of Western Australia, check out this web site:

www.christianfletcher.com.au

It's definatley worth a look
Old Jul 5, 2003, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Tasmania is great. Don't know what you like to do, but the Bay of Fires walk with Cradle Mtn. Huts Pty. will take you to some of the most beautiful beaches in the world. There are also lots of wineries, historic sites, and very good restaurants in Hobart and Launceston. At Madge Malloy's in Coles Bay I ate some of the best oysters ever. As for the tropics, we enjoyed Lizard Island (GBR).
Old Jul 5, 2003, 10:37 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Strongly suggest reading: The Happy Isles of Oceana by Paul Theroux. This marvelous book could, well, influence your decision.
It is available in paperback .
Old Jul 10, 2003, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

How is Tasmania in late July, the middle of winter?
Old Jul 11, 2003, 10:34 am

Programs: Ex UA PremEx
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by leiterk:
How is Tasmania in late July, the middle of winter?</font>
Cold
Old Jul 16, 2003, 3:44 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by leiterk:
How is Tasmania in late July, the middle of winter?</font>
Pretty warm compared to Battle Creek. It will snow at times and temps around freezing but generally July doesn't have a lot of storms (which are the bigger concern). Comparable to Seattle.
Old Jul 19, 2003, 6:25 am

I would recommend Fiji!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.