FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Oceania (Australia, New Zealand & the South Pacific) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oceania-australia-new-zealand-south-pacific-461/)
-   -   Adivce on New Zealand: North/South? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oceania-australia-new-zealand-south-pacific/299806-adivce-new-zealand-north-south.html)

StudentExplorer Apr 24, 2003 5:52 am

Adivce on New Zealand: North/South?

Greetings:

I posted this question in Travelbuzz but just realized I might get some more responses here.

So I'm planning a trip to New Zealand/Australia in August and have decided to concentrate on just either the South or North island. Question I ask FT is which one? What would you recommend for a 2 week itinerary?

I am considering flying into Auckland, Welington, or Christchurch and then onto Australia.

Thoughts?

l etoile Apr 24, 2003 8:36 am

I'm certainly not the best person to answer your question because I've only been to the North Island. I did find it awesome though and everyone tells me the South Island is even better. If you do the North Island, be sure to see Waitomo Caves (the glowworm caves) and go to Rotorua and Taupo (the volcanic areas that are amazing). There was a good itinerary of the South Island in a National Geographic Traveler a few months back that took in some glowworm caves and river rafting and stuff. I don't think it's online, but perhaps your library has it (I don't think I saved it or I'd send you a copy. It's on the cover.). If you're up for hikes the Tongariro (sp?) Crossing (North Isle) was fun.

I'm sure you'll get some more helpful responses. Have a wonderful time.

[This message has been edited by letiole (edited 04-24-2003).]

StudentExplorer Apr 24, 2003 9:44 am

Thanks for the input! What time of year were you there? Anyone know what I can expect in terms of weather in August; north v. south island?

l etoile Apr 24, 2003 12:16 pm

I was there in March and April. In August you can expect some pretty cool temps.

From my handy Traveler's Weather Guide:

Auckland: 58/46F, 19 days of precip., 4.6"
Christchurch: 52/36F, 11 days precip., 1.9"
Wellington: 54/43F, 17 days precip., 4.6"

The best weather is November through March.

SFFlyman Apr 24, 2003 3:17 pm

I have been to NZ in April, August, & October. Both islands have plenty to offer, but if you are into winter sports and snow capped mountains, I would recommend the south island. The north island is quite scenic, but imho a better destination when the temperature is a little warmer. It will be cold, so be prepared.

kawoh Apr 25, 2003 4:30 pm

Stick to the south island and use queenstown as your base. You could make a trek out to the bay of islands if you are in AKL for a day or two.

In Australia, i would say the best places to visit in the short time you have are Sydney, Gold Coast and Far North Queensland. Canberra is interesting for a day or two.

ranles Apr 27, 2003 1:38 pm

A search of this site will provide you lots of discussion on this topic.

Suggest you consider your schedule. You cannot do Hawaii (any Island) and then do the United States. How could you expect to do N or S Island of NZ and then do Australia?

StudentExplorer Apr 27, 2003 4:34 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ranles:
A search of this site will provide you lots of discussion on this topic.

Suggest you consider your schedule. You cannot do Hawaii (any Island) and then do the United States. How could you expect to do N or S Island of NZ and then do Australia?
</font>
There seems to be some confusion. When I said I had 2 weeks, I meant 2 weeks in New Zealand followed by 1 week in Australia. I think that should give me plenty of time to get a good taste of either the North/South Island and a bit of Australia.

ranles Apr 28, 2003 10:05 am

You could do S and N in 21 days, fairly okay if you do not do lingering things (long treks,etc).

We did Melboure for 6 days then N island in 14 days. 5 in Auckland and 9 driving around N Island. Our first stop was Te Kuiti as it allowed a stop from Auckland for the Hamilton Zoo then a motel with 3 washers and dryers, as we packed for only 11 days. Then spend one night in New Plymouth. Two nights in Wellington (Te Papa museum is a must). Two nights in Napier and one in Rotorua.

We drove leisurely. No hiking or boat trips while on our trek around North Island. Waitomo Caves for the Glow worms. View Lake Taupo and Huka Falls. Rotorua Museum. Magic of the Maori. Gannets. Aquarium. Nocturnal house. Bird Sancuarty (outside of Wellington).

The stops were made based on activities between cities. Trying to start at 8am, and get to something at 10 (when they usually open), and being were we would spend the night by 4-5pm, thus allowing time for surprises and lingering if we found a need along the way.

A bit more agressive and we could have added the Bay of Islands (we did this on a cruise of the So. Pac. at a later date).

I am sure you will enjoy your visit, regardless of your decision as to N or S Island. The decision for me was the things to do on Norht Versus South Island...as they relate to our interests. That is why I suggest you do some "North Island New Zealand Activities" and then simalar for South on a search engine to find activities that will delight you.