Queensland Testing on Arrival centre locations and requirements

Old Apr 4, 22, 12:42 pm
  #16  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: LCY
Posts: 1,215
Any experiences from those who have arrived on international flights to Brisbane (from New Zealand, Qatar and Malaysia all seem to be scheduled at the moment).

Is it just a matter of booking an arrival RAT with the private provider at the BNE airport terminal?
stewardo is offline  
Old Apr 13, 22, 8:23 am
  #17  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: UK
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 487
Originally Posted by stewardo View Post
Any experiences from those who have arrived on international flights to Brisbane (from New Zealand, Qatar and Malaysia all seem to be scheduled at the moment).

Is it just a matter of booking an arrival RAT with the private provider at the BNE airport terminal?
Pretty much. Assuming you originated from a country where RAT is acceptable (some places it must be PCR) then you can book a test at one of the two providers, they are ground floor, go out the door and there is set of offices on the way to the airport. Do the test and either ... wait for the results before getting a train into town OR do the test and get a taxi / private car to your place of isolation and wait for the results. (the results will probably arrive before you get into town). If you need a PCR then the wait will be hours / days so you have to isolate until the results are in. Obviously if you're positive it gets complicated very quickly.

I believe you can also go directly to a place of isolation and do a test elsewhere as long as you take the test within 24 hours and isolate until a negative result.
stewardo likes this.
tinkicker is offline  
Old Apr 19, 22, 4:21 am
  #18  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: UK
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 487
New Queensland problem...

The current rules (as of 1 March checked 19 April) require a PCR test for a fully vaccinated arrival if ...
  • the country of departure is exempt from Commonwealth pre-departure testing requirements for entry to Australia.

But as of this week NO country requires commonwealth pre-departure testing for fully vaccinated travellers. So does this mean all arrivals need a PCR test? Is there new legislation I've missed?

https://www.health.qld.gov.au/system...vals-direction
tinkicker is offline  
Old Apr 19, 22, 5:07 am
  #19  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 18,882
Originally Posted by tinkicker View Post
Pretty much. Assuming you originated from a country where RAT is acceptable (some places it must be PCR) then you can book a test at one of the two providers,.....
Originally Posted by tinkicker View Post
New Queensland problem.....
Are you arriving into AU direct into QLD? Or via another state?
https://www.covid19.qld.gov.au/
https://www.covid19.qld.gov.au/gover...ealth-measures

https://www.qld.gov.au/health/condit...eas#vaccinated [Last updated: 3 April 2022]
Entering Queensland as a fully vaccinated international arrival

If you are a fully vaccinated international arrival entering Queensland, you must get a COVID-19 test within 24 hours of your arrival in Queensland and quarantine at your residence, accommodation or boat (leaving only if necessary to obtain a COVID-19 test at an approved Queensland Government COVID-19 testing centre) until you receive a negative result.

The COVID-19 test must be a PCR test if you are a fully vaccinated international arrival and you:Otherwise, the COVID-19 test can be a PCR test or a Rapid Antigen Test (RAT).

You must travel directly to your place of quarantine by private vehicle, hire car, taxi, endorsed transport provider or ride share without stopping other than to obtain a COVID-19 test at an approved Queensland Government COVID-19 testing centre.

You must not use public transport to travel to your place of quarantine, unless you’ve had a COVID-19 test and returned a negative result (and then you will not be required to quarantine).

If your test result is positive, follow First steps if you have COVID-19.

If you are an international arrival who got tested for COVID-19 in another State or Territory within 24 hours of arrival in Australia and received a negative test result, you do not have to get tested within 24 hours of arrival in Queensland nor quarantine.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Apr 19, 22 at 10:14 am
Mwenenzi is offline  
Old Apr 19, 22, 6:16 am
  #20  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: UK
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 487
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
Direct into Brisbane is the plan. Really can't be bothered to add another connection to the route but it was pretty slick the other week with the RAT and getting the results before the taxi even arrived into town meant I got an extra evening. The PCR is a bit longer wait.
tinkicker is offline  
Old Apr 21, 22, 5:10 am
  #21  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: AKL
Programs: NZ Elite, QF Plat, DL PM
Posts: 1,659
I'm flying direct into BNE from AKL in a couple of weeks. I was just planning on doing my own RAT when I arrived and taking a timestamped photo of the result in case queried.

Last edited by NZ_Flyer; Apr 21, 22 at 5:29 am
NZ_Flyer is offline  
Old Apr 21, 22, 6:01 am
  #22  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: UK
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 487
Originally Posted by NZ_Flyer View Post
I'm flying direct into BNE from AKL in a couple of weeks. I was just planning on doing my own RAT when I arrived and taking a timestamped photo of the result in case queried.
Don't forget there is a specific legal description of a RAT set out in law. Not just any rat but a Queensland rat =
COVID-19 RAT means a Rapid Antigen Test approved for use in Australia by the Therapeutic Goods Administration to detect whether the person has the COVID-19 virus.
It's still doubtful that it is lawful to enter Queensland without doing a PCR test. However there is an update in progress , this has been posted on the Queensland govt site:

From 17 April, the Australia Government no longer requires people travelling to Australia to have a COVID-19 test before arriving. The Quarantine for International Arrivals Direction will be updated shortly.
tinkicker is offline  
Old Apr 21, 22, 7:56 pm
  #23  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: RSE
Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Posts: 14,329
Originally Posted by tinkicker View Post
It's still doubtful that it is lawful to enter Queensland without doing a PCR test. However there is an update in progress , this has been posted on the Queensland govt site:
Where does it say you can't enter without a PCR test? There was reference to having a PCR test within 24 hours of arrival if arriving from a country that the Commonwealth does not require a pre-departure test for but that appears to have been dropped from the guidelines since Federal government dropped the testing requirement.
bensyd is online now  
Old Apr 21, 22, 9:28 pm
  #24  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 18,882
Originally Posted by bensyd View Post
Where does it say you can't enter without a PCR test? There was reference to having a PCR test within 24 hours of arrival if arriving from a country that the Commonwealth does not require a pre-departure test for but that appears to have been dropped from the guidelines since Federal government dropped the testing requirement.
Indeed. Tinticker will not be arriving from a *specified country* on the commonwealth list, because that list now has no countries (list is gone),
bensyd likes this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Apr 21, 22 at 9:34 pm
Mwenenzi is offline  
Old Apr 21, 22, 11:37 pm
  #25  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 18,882
When do you arrive?
22 Apr 2022 (abc.net.au)-->Queensland's COVID-19 close contact quarantine requirements to ease from next Thursday
Key points:
  • Health Minister Yvette D'Ath says the state is expected to see an increase in cases after quarantine rules are lifted
  • She said it was time for individuals and workplaces to determine the response to those exposed to COVID
  • New rules come into effect as of 6pm on April 28
Queensland's quarantine requirements will be eased for asymptomatic close contacts of those with COVID-19 from next Thursday.

It comes after New South Wales, Victoria and the ACT announced a relaxing of quarantine rules this week.
<snip>
Quarantine scrapped for unvaccinated international arrivals
Quarantine requirements for unvaccinated international travellers will also be scrapped from next Thursday. International arrivals will only need to return a negative COVID test within 24 hours of arriving and test further if they develop symptoms.
<snip>
Will need to look at the QLD govt web sites for the details
NZ_Flyer likes this.
Mwenenzi is offline  
Old Apr 24, 22, 10:55 am
  #26  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: ZRH / YUL
Programs: UA, TK , Starwood > Marriott
Posts: 7,039
Thanks for the posts and links upthread. I am still confused though - looking at an intl. arrival into BNE on the 28th (but in the morning, and changes taking effect at 6pm that evening only seem to be affecting unvaccinated travellers, which I am not). Do I need to do a PCR test on arrival (since for the country of my departure, Germany, the Commonwealth does not require pre-departure tests) or is an antigen test enough? It's a $20 / 60min to results difference at the BNE airport lab.
airoli is offline  
Old Apr 24, 22, 2:55 pm
  #27  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: UK
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 487
Originally Posted by airoli View Post
Thanks for the posts and links upthread. I am still confused though - looking at an intl. arrival into BNE on the 28th (but in the morning, and changes taking effect at 6pm that evening only seem to be affecting unvaccinated travellers, which I am not). Do I need to do a PCR test on arrival (since for the country of my departure, Germany, the Commonwealth does not require pre-departure tests) or is an antigen test enough? It's a $20 / 60min to results difference at the BNE airport lab.


i went through the airport this weekend and did the rapid test on arrival with an airport place. chatting to people on the flight there was a general confusion.

In the end I was persuaded that the intent of the law is you test on arrival. And it only requires that test to be a pcr if exempt commonwealth pre departure testing. But that specific word exempt in English means not required to do something others are required to do and you cannot be exempt from something that does not exist. (Its the opposite to the argument I made up thread)

You may interpret it differently. the sample taker pointed out the number of people attending has collapsed since the 18th so clearly they all think they can just home test.
airoli likes this.
tinkicker is offline  
Old Apr 24, 22, 6:54 pm
  #28  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: RSE
Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Posts: 14,329
Originally Posted by tinkicker View Post
In the end I was persuaded that the intent of the law is you test on arrival. And it only requires that test to be a pcr if “exempt commonwealth pre departure testing”. But that specific word ‘exempt’ in English means not required to do something others are required to do and you cannot be “exempt” from something that does not exist. (It’s the opposite to the argument I made up thread)
If they want you to do something they will be very explicit in stating what is required. Just follow that logic and you'll be fine.

Most of the few remaining rules are just for show.
bensyd is online now  
Old Apr 30, 22, 3:54 am
  #29  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: UK
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 487
The rules have been updated and are now quite clear.

Qld govt page


As an international arrival who has been outside of Australia in the last 7 days, you must take a COVID-19 test within 24 hours of arriving. You must then travel as directly as practicable using an endorsed transport provider to a residence or accommodation (cabin on a cruise liner, boat or government-nominated accommodation) until a negative result is received.

Rapid Antigen Tests (RATs) endorsed by ATAGI are an acceptable form of COVID-19 test for international arrivals. A RAT can be undertaken at the airport after arriving. A RAT is not recommended for a child under the age of 2 years. A COVID-19 PCR test should be used instead.
tinkicker is offline  
Old May 1, 22, 1:20 am
  #30  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: ZRH / YUL
Programs: UA, TK , Starwood > Marriott
Posts: 7,039
I arrived BNE last week and throughout the immigration process, nobody asked me about my test plans or indeed told me I should take one. As an obedient guest to Oz, I had prepaid a RAT at the airport lab, and duly proceeded there right away to be tested. The facility was deserted and the nurse had no idea what I should do with the test result once received.

So I am just hanging on to my negative result now in case somebody ever asks for it.

It does feel a bit disproportionate to have this test requirement, but not any process or enforcement around it, and then very lax Covid rules in everyday QLD life....
LETTERBOY likes this.
airoli is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread