Wiki Posts
Search

Guam post-Covid opening

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2021, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Guam post-Covid opening

Any plans for Guam to reopen for visitors/tourism?
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old May 15, 2021, 5:47 am

Programs: OWE, *Gold, STE+, Globalist, Titanium, Spire, Diamond
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Any plans for Guam to reopen for visitors/tourism?
Effective May 15th, those who have completed their full COVID vaccination schedule will not be required to undergo ANY quarantine. You will have to enroll either your email or mobile number to respond to a daily questionnaire on COVID symptom monitoring.

Guam will only accept Pfizer, Moderna, or J&J. The final dose must be greater than 2 weeks from arrival. You also need supporting documentation to attest to the vaccination in addition to the standard CDC card. This is to combat fake CDC cards, despite that supporting documentation can also easily can be faked.

What is considered supporting/secondary documentation is flexible, you can even use your appointment confirmation emails. My guess is that they’ll start tightening up after the initial teething issues. If they can’t verify your documentation on arrival, you’ll be housed in government quarantined, currently at no cost to you, during the interim. If they can eventually verify, you’ll be released. Otherwise, you’ll need to complete the duration of the quarantine. Here’s a video explanation of the new policy. Start @ 9:45. Disclaimer: Guam has pretty low stress tolerance for COVID so do expect this policy to be rescinded if cases increase.

cesco.g likes this.

Last edited by ALGU; May 15, 2021 at 5:53 am
Old May 16, 2021, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Glad to see them reopening. Just to note: Covid-recovered visitors are only exempt from quarantine for 90 days from date of diagnosis/testing positive. Thereafter, vaccination is required to avoid quarantine.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Arrow

Originally Posted by ALGU
Effective May 15th, those who have completed their full COVID vaccination schedule will not be required to undergo ANY quarantine. You will have to enroll either your email or mobile number to respond to a daily questionnaire on COVID symptom monitoring.

Guam will only accept Pfizer, Moderna, or J&J. The final dose must be greater than 2 weeks from arrival. You also need supporting documentation to attest to the vaccination in addition to the standard CDC card. This is to combat fake CDC cards, despite that supporting documentation can also easily can be faked.

What is considered supporting/secondary documentation is flexible, you can even use your appointment confirmation emails. My guess is that they’ll start tightening up after the initial teething issues. If they can’t verify your documentation on arrival, you’ll be housed in government quarantined, currently at no cost to you, during the interim. If they can eventually verify, you’ll be released. Otherwise, you’ll need to complete the duration of the quarantine. Here’s a video explanation of the new policy. Start @ 9:45. Disclaimer: Guam has pretty low stress tolerance for COVID so do expect this policy to be rescinded if cases increase. https://youtu.be/n5rsTV7NGEQ?t=585
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Glad to see them reopening. Just to note: Covid-recovered visitors are only exempt from quarantine for 90 days from date of diagnosis/testing positive. Thereafter, vaccination is required to avoid quarantine.

It seems that for US citizens, vaccination proof would exempt the 10-day quarantine requirement.

https://www.visitguam.com/about-guam...s/coronavirus/

December 6, 2021, all pax are required show a negative COVID-19 viral test result taken no more than 1 day before travel, if they fly internationally to GUM.

My question: if I fly EWR-NRT-GUM, with a connection at NRT, do I need to have negative test?

Technically I never left the US or entered another country on my way to GUM.

Never been to GUM, but this seems like a good place to visit in the spring break. Airfares are bit high $2300 RT, but not as bad as one-way $5000+ to China.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 5:27 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by kb1992
My question: if I fly EWR-NRT-GUM, with a connection at NRT, do I need to have negative test?

Technically I never left the US or entered another country on my way to GUM.
You have technically left the US.

It's true that you technically haven't entered Japan if you never leave the international transit area. But you most definitely have left the USA, and will be subject to the USA entry requirements. That's like asking if you need to carry a Passport and go through customs. Of course you do.

An international transit area exists for people who have left one country and will be arriving to another. Technically you are in no country... not the country you came from.

Last edited by CPMaverick; Jan 28, 2022 at 5:42 am
Old Jan 28, 2022, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Of course you have left the US.

It's true that you technically haven't entered Japan if you never leave the international transit area. But you most definitely have left the USA, and will be subject to the USA entry requirements. That's like asking if you need to carry a Passport and go through customs. Of course you do.
I am wondering who will be checking the test result.

When I flew PVG-SFO few months ago, it's UA staff at PVG looked at the test result. Nobody checked this at SFO arrivals.

If I fly BOS-EWR-NRT-GUM, do UA staff at BOS or EWR look at this?

BOS-EWR is domestic, and EWR-NRT is leaving the US so technically nobody cares.

Maybe UA staff at NRT check this prior to boarding, or perhaps GUM officials check this upon arrival?
Old Jan 28, 2022, 6:31 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I am wondering who will be checking the test result.

When I flew PVG-SFO few months ago, it's UA staff at PVG looked at the test result. Nobody checked this at SFO arrivals.

If I fly BOS-EWR-NRT-GUM, do UA staff at BOS or EWR look at this?

BOS-EWR is domestic, and EWR-NRT is leaving the US so technically nobody cares.

Maybe UA staff at NRT check this prior to boarding, or perhaps GUM officials check this upon arrival?
You certainly have a point. Is this all on one ticket?

I agree entering the US, at least mainland US, it seems the airlines are the ones responsible for checking tests. I haven't seen any checks after boarding.

However I think Hawaii is a bit different and Guam may have a similar arrangement. No personal experience though.

My guess is that if you don't have a test result registered, they will ask for it at NRT boarding.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
You certainly have a point. Is this all on one ticket?

I agree entering the US, at least mainland US, it seems the airlines are the ones responsible for checking tests. I haven't seen any checks after boarding.

However I think Hawaii is a bit different and Guam may have a similar arrangement. No personal experience though.

My guess is that if you don't have a test result registered, they will ask for it at NRT boarding.

One ticket on UA, BOS-EWR-NRT-GUM.

US requires international traveler testing one day before the flight heading to the US.

Here is the problem:

my flight leaves BOS at 6AM on Monday, which makes it impossible to do a test on the departure day unless I test Sunday.

But due to time zones, when I arrive at NRT to fly to GUM, it is Tuesday.

This makes Sunday testing useless, and no way I can get a test on Monday because I will be in the air BOS-EWR-NRT.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Looks like travelling via/from HNL to GUM might be the easier way - if one has a choice.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 11:09 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
One ticket on UA, BOS-EWR-NRT-GUM.

US requires international traveler testing one day before the flight heading to the US.

Here is the problem:

my flight leaves BOS at 6AM on Monday, which makes it impossible to do a test on the departure day unless I test Sunday.

But due to time zones, when I arrive at NRT to fly to GUM, it is Tuesday.

This makes Sunday testing useless, and no way I can get a test on Monday because I will be in the air BOS-EWR-NRT.
All test requirements are from the originating DEPARTING flight time not the arriving flight time! This is why no checks are done on arrival for example at sfo (as cited in another post) It doesn't matter if your originating flight(s) are domestic.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by estnet
All test requirements are from the originating DEPARTING flight time not the arriving flight time! This is why no checks are done on arrival for example at sfo (as cited in another post) It doesn't matter if your originating flight(s) are domestic.
The issue is whether NRT-GUM or BOS-EWR is considered departing flight for GUM.

I doubt UA check-in counter at BOS would bother to look for COVID test for BOS-EWR-NRT ......
Old Jan 30, 2022, 3:42 pm

Programs: OWE, *Gold, STE+, Globalist, Titanium, Spire, Diamond
This month flew GUM-NRT-SFO/ORD/EWR vv on separate and single itineraries with multiple carriers. No COVID test was solicited in either direction, though you might find an isolated encounter with a check-in agent that insists otherwise. If you want to be safe, just fly through HNL. Vaccination is checked by local authorities at baggage claim in Guam.

As for choosing Guam as a vacation destination, it’s a bit mixed. It has some nice beaches and good for water activities and some hiking. But pricing and quality overall is uncompetitive. If you’re going to pay that much and fly this far, I would recommend going to Palau, Philippines, Thailand, Cambodia, or Laos. I know the first three are open, I think the latter two are as well.

Last edited by ALGU; Jan 30, 2022 at 3:52 pm
Old Mar 12, 2022, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Requirements now:
Vax cert OR
72hrs PCR test OR
24 hrs Antigen test

https://www.visitguam.com/about-guam...s/coronavirus/
estnet, LETTERBOY and CPMaverick like this.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Unfortunately, Guam is currently feeling the after effects of Typhoon Mawar last month.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.