Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cle to syd in October

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2020, 8:37 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Good luck with your trip. As stated bags should be checked through. Let us know how it goes!
Old Aug 18, 2020, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Today the Guardian had an article saying that Qatar airways admits to bumping economy passengers in order to book more business class seats. I would link to it, but I can’t yet, but the headline says

Australians stranded overseas as airlines fly with as few as four economy passengers

hopefully Delta will not be doing this, but it is more than a rumour.
Old Aug 18, 2020, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Ok, I see your response to this in the other thread. Will try to stop having a panic attack on this.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2020, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Debbieann
Today the Guardian had an article saying that Qatar airways admits to bumping economy passengers in order to book more business class seats. I would link to it, but I can’t yet, but the headline says
It's hard to blame them - and really the fault belongs with the Australia Government who added the new limits without any notice.

The airlines were left with flights that had more passengers than they were legally allowed transport. When that happens, it's not surprising that they chose to bump the passengers that had purchased the cheaper seats.

Going forwards at least some of the the airlines are taking a different approach is that they has basically stopped selling economy tickets outright. UA has zero economy tickets on sale to Australia until October - and on the occasion that they release any they disappear very quickly (eg, there were 2 available for tomorrow as at about 30 mins ago, but they are gone now). This is painful for anyone trying to get to Australia, but again it's hard to blame the airlines - even if they sold 100% economy tickets they would likely sell out incredibly quickly given the limits the government is enforcing.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2020, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by docbert
It's hard to blame them - and really the fault belongs with the Australia Government who added the new limits without any notice.

The airlines were left with flights that had more passengers than they were legally allowed transport. When that happens, it's not surprising that they chose to bump the passengers that had purchased the cheaper seats.
The AU Government restricted arrival numbers (4 & 13 July). Initially I would have expected the airlines had a need to reschedule some passengers to meet the new 4 July & 13 July AU Government requirements. However by now (51 days) the back log may/should been cleared. If airlines are denied passengers booked on a flight whilst still selling business class flights that would be a concern.

Comments about the AU border closure better in the main thread---> https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ocea...l#post32613797
Leave this thread only for the CLE-SYD trip by Debbieann
Old Aug 23, 2020, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

It was good advice to go ahead and book our tickets. We have economy seats on Delta, so I am hopeful we will actually get to go.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

We called Delta today to arrange to have one hour in Detroit and three hours at LAX (rather than the other way round) and the Delta rep said that “Sydney has been jerking them around and changing numbers at the last minute”, so we shall see what happens. I hadn’t heard that anywhere else, so thought I would let y’all know.
bensyd likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Everything went fine, the delta flight was very very empty, we are now in a hotel room, four points by sheraton. Across from UTS in Sydney. Fridge, kettle, desk, couch, not much else. The windows do not open.
bensyd and CPMaverick like this.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Everything went fine, the delta flight was very very empty, we are now in a hotel room, four points by sheraton. Across from UTS in Sydney. Fridge, kettle, desk, couch, not much else. The windows do not open.
Welcome back to Australia
I recently spent 14 days in the Crowne Plaza in Auckland. The windows did open
Old Oct 5, 2020, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Glad everything went to plan. Welcome back.

ETA: What was the inflight service like out of curiosity?

Last edited by bensyd; Oct 5, 2020 at 8:38 pm
Old Oct 5, 2020, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

From cleveland to detroit and detroit to lax they handed out a plastic bag with two small toblerones , a packet w two cookies, and a bottle of water. From lax to syd I slept through dinner, then there was a warm mushroom cheese bread snack in the very early morning, and then an actual breakfast w a cheese egg muffin, chobani yogurt, and fruit. They also offered some snack choices if you were awake. The cabin never got completely dark,. It was nice to be able to sleep across three seats.
bensyd likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

Oh and no lounges were open at the intl terminal in LAX and the dinner choices were grim, no table service restaurants, it was border grill or panda express.
bensyd and CPMaverick like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.