COVID Screening Pre-Flight for PPT

Old Jul 20, 20, 9:27 am

I agree, though it's not just CA that needs to improve testing, it's any potential origin for someone traveling outside of the US. For me, that would be MI.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Jul 20, 20, 11:04 am

...and to further support your point, the Bahamas just decided to close their borders to Americans, though we make up the vast majority of their tourists.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Jul 24, 20, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, GlobalEntry, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis Presidents Club
Apparently there is a new machine that can give results in 15 min. Airlines/Airport or someone should just get one and test at the airport. Say everyone needs to come 3 hours early.
I know its not that easy...but something like this could be done eventually.
I'm still having trouble finding a testing place in the Bay Area ( I am SFO based) that will (1) do tests without symptoms, and (2) give me results in time.

Also for anyone going through LAX. The reliant site there now does 15 min results!

Last edited by Cybertronic; Jul 24, 20 at 2:48 pm Reason: add reliant info
Old Jul 25, 20, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold
A friend called UA about testing and someone told her that UA will test at SFO for their flight SFO-PPT. It will be the rapid test with results within 2 hours. I don't believe this, UA CSR will say anything. Until I see something in writing about this direct from United I will look for a test in my hometown. I do have a 5 hour layover at SFO if this airport test comes to fruition, but I highly doubt it. I can't believe UA would absorb the cost and liability to run covid tests for just one flight that only goes out 3 times a week.
Old Jul 26, 20, 11:53 am

Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, QF-GLD, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by Cybertronic View Post
Apparently there is a new machine that can give results in 15 min. Airlines/Airport or someone should just get one and test at the airport. Say everyone needs to come 3 hours early.
I know its not that easy...but something like this could be done eventually.
I'm still having trouble finding a testing place in the Bay Area ( I am SFO based) that will (1) do tests without symptoms, and (2) give me results in time.

Also for anyone going through LAX. The reliant site there now does 15 min results!
I agree this sounds like a good option. However the 15 minute tests are only 84% accurate in positive results. That may not be good enough for countries with strict requirements.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...eld-covid-test

My understanding is the 'normal' tests are about 98% accurate for positives
Old Aug 1, 20, 12:46 pm

Does anyone have more recent information regarding COVID testing prior to boarding for flights to French Polynesia?

The FP website says that they require a PCR test within 72 hours of boarding. I spoke to a representative from Reliant testing (linked earlier in the thread) and they told me that their PCR test requires three to four business days for results. I had been planning to get the 15 minute Reliant antigen test during a stopover at LAX on the way from ABQ to PPT, but it appears that will not satisfy the FP requirements.

Thanks for any insights,
saunders111
Old Aug 1, 20, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Cybertronic View Post

I just got off the phone with Reliant and the representative there told me that the PCR test, required by French Polynesia, requires three to four business days for results. The 15 minute antigen test appears not to be sufficient for travel to FP.

Please correct me if I am mistaken about any of this.

saunders111
Old Aug 3, 20, 7:05 am

I have heard that some local (Detroit area) testing sites currently have 2-day turn-around-times for PCR screening. However, those aren't guaranteed anywhere. I gave up on French Polynesia and cancelled my travel plans there. Instead, I switched to the one similar place that doesn't require testing - The Maldives. It'll take nearly twice as long to get there and back, but should provide an excellent hotel and scuba experience (I was last there nearly 20 years ago). Though it isn't mandated. I am still getting tested before I go, for my own edification and for the safety of other travelers and the residents of the Maldives who are kind enough to welcome me. I am using a mail-in service with the test going out today. I am flying to Doha/Male early on Sunday morning. Should have the results by then. I will similarly get tested when I return.
Old Yesterday, 12:42 pm

The scenario for FP and testing just completely changed with the positive covid case found in a Paul Gaugin passenger. Now, people going on cruises have to be tested 72 hours before boarding their flight, tested FP before boarding their cruise ship, and then tested again 4 days after arriving at PPT.
With all this testing a vacation to French Polynesia is looking more like a visit to a clinic.
Old Yesterday, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by susiesan View Post
The scenario for FP and testing just completely changed with the positive covid case found in a Paul Gaugin passenger. Now, people going on cruises have to be tested 72 hours before boarding their flight, tested FP before boarding their cruise ship, and then tested again 4 days after arriving at PPT.
With all this testing a vacation to French Polynesia is looking more like a visit to a clinic.
My guess is that they will shut down again. I am headed to the Maldives with my son, but am afraid they will shut down too once enough foreigners infect their natives. I booked another trip there for October with my girlfriend, but doubt we will get there (or anywhere).
Old Yesterday, 1:34 pm

agree, likely shutting down again

Originally Posted by KidDocDMC View Post
My guess is that they will shut down again. I am headed to the Maldives with my son, but am afraid they will shut down too once enough foreigners infect their natives. I booked another trip there for October with my girlfriend, but doubt we will get there (or anywhere).
My trip is not until January 12, 2021 and involves a 7 day cruise on Wind Spirit. Windstar has already pushed back the resumption of their ship sailing from September to October. My final payment is due Oct. 6 and I won't be making that unless the date is moved ahead. I am not going to pay in full 90 days before a cruise that may not happen at all. My flight tickets are on UA, booked with points, so I can cancel and have the miles redeposited for no fees. All I would lose is the $100 deposit if I cancel the cruise.
Old Yesterday, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

05 Aug 2020 ---> Tahiti flight attendant tests positive for Covid-19

A flight attendant in French Polynesia has tested positive for Covid-19 - the second infection recorded in three days.The government said the Air Tahiti Nui staff member tested positive during a routine scan yesterday.

The person has been placed in isolation.

A month ago, Air Tahiti Nui resumed regular flights to France and in mid-July it added Los Angeles to its network coinciding with the lifting of quarantine requirements for people landing in Tahiti.
<snip>
I guess Tahiti may regret resuming flights to USA & France (both Covid-19 hot spots)
Old Today, 7:50 am

Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, QF-GLD, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by susiesan View Post
This seemed inevitable. Why people are still getting on cruise ships right now is beyond me.

These pacific countries are opening up for the tourist $$ but will be shutting again as soon as they get infections, and then they need to deal with that mess! It's crazy.

Pacific Islands should be opening up to NZ only. Give the kiwis a good deal and they will come (it's winter there).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: