Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Oceania (Australia, New Zealand & the South Pacific) > Oceania (Australia, New Zealand & the South Pacific)
Reload this Page >

NZ - Rarotonga Travel Bubble To Be Announced Next Week Ahead Of Trans Tasman Bubble

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NZ - Rarotonga Travel Bubble To Be Announced Next Week Ahead Of Trans Tasman Bubble

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2020, 1:10 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
A lot of Air NZ's international routes are bookable from late October.. Doesn't mean any will actually fly.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle
A lot of Air NZ's international routes are bookable from late October.. Doesn't mean any will actually fly.
Hmm they must be about due to push through Oct/Nov cancellations.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by prp343
With all the talk of a Cook Islands travel bubble, I decided to do some research on the likelihood of getting there at all, even if the borders are opened. This is because I think it would be interesting to concentrate all outbound New Zealand tourist traffic on a fairly small place.
<snip>
In the 2019 calendar year, there were 171,550 international visitors to the Cook Islands, of which 114,977 (67%) were New Zealanders. Monthly arrivals ranged from 7,608 in February to 18,612 in July. New Zealand visitors intended to stay for an average of nine days.
To make some assumptions, if there was a Cook Islands travel ‘bubble’:
<snip>.
Do the stat's make make any distinction between NZers and Cook Islanders (with NZ passports)? There will be Cook Islanders normally resident in NZ (mainly Auckland) returning for short trips and Cook Islanders going to NZ for seasonal work & school. Hotel accommodation may be an issue if a lot of people try to go to Cook Islands. Cook Islanders are likely to stay with family (not hotels)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cook_Islanders
The Cook Islands does not issue its own passports, a privilege usually assumed by virtually all sovereign countries, but places this responsibility in the hands of the New Zealand Government which issues passports for New Zealand citizens who are also Cook Islands nationals.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 5:19 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by nzkarit
Hmm they must be about due to push through Oct/Nov cancellations.
Well looks like they might just need to get through the August 2020 cancellations first, after tonight.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 5:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Glad I didn't get too excited and book my Raro flights!
Beckett66 likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
Glad I didn't get too excited and book my Raro flights!
Same here! I now have an collection of credit with Virgin Australia, Air New Zealand and Jetstar (thanks to night) looks like I'm going on an pre-paid holiday in 2022
kiwifrequentflyer likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 2:57 am

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Do the stat's make make any distinction between NZers and Cook Islanders (with NZ passports)? There will be Cook Islanders normally resident in NZ (mainly Auckland) returning for short trips and Cook Islanders going to NZ for seasonal work & school. Hotel accommodation may be an issue if a lot of people try to go to Cook Islands. Cook Islanders are likely to stay with family (not hotels)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cook_Islanders

Learn something new everyday. Niue is also in the same situation.
"Niue is a self-governing state in free association with New Zealand, and New Zealand conducts most diplomatic relations on its behalf. Niueans are citizens of New Zealand, and Queen Elizabeth II is head of state in her capacity as Queen of New Zealand. Between 90% and 95% of Niuean people live in New Zealand" - quoted from wikipedia

Last edited by davistev; Aug 14, 2020 at 3:03 am
Old Aug 14, 2020, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by davistev
Learn something new everyday. Niue is also in the same situation.
"Niue is a self-governing state in free association with New Zealand, and New Zealand conducts most diplomatic relations on its behalf. Niueans are citizens of New Zealand, and Queen Elizabeth II is head of state in her capacity as Queen of New Zealand. Between 90% and 95% of Niuean people live in New Zealand" - quoted from wikipedia
You can add Tokelau Islands as well.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 6:00 am
Original Poster

I think the morale of this story, is that covid is going to keep coming back. As long as we allow kiwis to come home, which of course we will, it's just too hard to guarantee it won't break through the border, it is an extremely sneaky and contagious disease.

Can the cook island border be constantly shut down every time a covid case flares up? Surely it can't. Either flare ups are mutually tolerated, or there can't be a bubble, sad to say, but as much as I would have loved it, I will live
Old Aug 18, 2020, 5:55 pm

If you have experience of the Cooks health system, government departments and overall health status of the people of the Cooks you would appreciate why they cannot risk it getting in. Older population, diabetes and obesity rife, health services minimal, just yesterday they had to medical someone back to NZ. No open when no chance of bug getting in and when the indigenous people say so, not just when non resident big resort owners say so.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2020, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

I don't mind the bubble not being open. My post wasn't being snarky, it was just pointing out the facts, that either flare ups are tolerated, or we can't have a bubble, and if that means no bubble, that's fine with me! I think they should protect their own health
Old Aug 19, 2020, 2:22 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
My birthday is at the start of July so I normally always leave the country because it's normally in the middle of the crappiest few weeks of Winter weather. I accepted then that if we were really lucky that I might be able to leave NZ for my birthday in 2021.

With NZ still focussed on an elimination strategy there basically exists zero chance of borders opening until a vaccine exists and we have a way of managing arrivals. NZ will remain isolated until that time.
Old Aug 19, 2020, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle
With NZ still focussed on an elimination strategy there basically exists zero chance of borders opening until a vaccine exists and we have a way of managing arrivals. NZ will remain isolated until that time.
Which will seriously have long term effects on NZ, if this happens surely we will see some of the 789s start to be sent off.

It would should almost be the third referendum question this election: ”Do you support the New Zealand boarders being closed, and the hard enforcement of an elimination of COVID-19”
gambda likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2020, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

I support the closure. What I would like is for quarantine to become privatised like Helen Clark suggested. That way we could have a range of different quarantine options. So if we want to quarantine in an apartment, we can.

But I also can't help but think that even if it was available, I would probably not travel overseas. Traveling overseas right now is downright awful. You never know what is going to happen, how the situation could change quickly. Covid bounced back extremely fast. That level of stress just isn't something I want to deal with.
Old Aug 19, 2020, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
I support the closure. What I would like is for quarantine to become privatised like Helen Clark suggested. That way we could have a range of different quarantine options. So if we want to quarantine in an apartment, we can.

But I also can't help but think that even if it was available, I would probably not travel overseas. Traveling overseas right now is downright awful. You never know what is going to happen, how the situation could change quickly. Covid bounced back extremely fast. That level of stress just isn't something I want to deal with.
All these privatised MIQ discussions never mention how they will keep people there? We have learnt that they require police there to actually enforce it. If is a private facility what is to stop people just walking out, as no one there can actually stop people leaving?

Additionally a lot of cities don't want more MIQ faculties as removed accommodation space for domestic tourism.

Ideas like halls of residence don't work as don't have ensuites. Need to be 4/5 star hotels as have economies of scale for health & security staff and onsite kitchens to feed people. So where are these magical facilities where private MIQ will happen? If there is capacity why don't we already use the capacity?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.