FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Oceania (Australia, New Zealand & the South Pacific) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oceania-australia-new-zealand-south-pacific-461/)
-   -   NZ - Rarotonga Travel Bubble To Be Announced Next Week Ahead Of Trans Tasman Bubble (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oceania-australia-new-zealand-south-pacific/2021527-nz-rarotonga-travel-bubble-announced-next-week-ahead-trans-tasman-bubble.html)

kiwifrequentflyer Jul 13, 2020 3:26 pm

NZ - Rarotonga Travel Bubble To Be Announced Next Week Ahead Of Trans Tasman Bubble

Source: https://i.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/12...nced-next-week

I'll be booking this ASAP. Question: does anyone think that a wide body flight might happen? Right now I'm thinking it'll exclusively be A320s but I'd love to get a cheeky business class flight back in.

Edit: the article has since been amended

nzkarit Jul 13, 2020 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer (Post 32529234)

I'll be booking this ASAP. Question: does anyone think that a wide body flight might happen? Right now I'm thinking it'll exclusively be A320s but I'd love to get a cheeky business class flight back in.

Depends on loads.

Also they need to consider how to keep crew separate. Though guess there is enough 787 crew at the moment to give them 14 days and a test before they do a Raro run after doing an Aussie or LH run.

kiwifrequentflyer Jul 13, 2020 4:00 pm

Did Air NZ keep all of their 787 crew? Could they rehire some that they had to let go?

I never flew this route, but for the trip I had been previously booked on (which was automatically canceled) it seemed that at most half the flights, probably less, were run on 787s pre-covid anyway. So it's probably not happening.

nzkarit Jul 13, 2020 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer (Post 32529348)
Did Air NZ keep all of their 787 crew? Could they rehire some that they had to let go?

I never flew this route, but for the trip I had been previously booked on (which was automatically canceled) it seemed that at most half the flights, probably less, were run on 787s pre-covid anyway. So it's probably not happening.

Seen on Twitter one of the 777 pilots is heading to 787 school. So dunno.

cavemanzk Jul 13, 2020 4:40 pm

They are currently running an 789 up-to RAR as freighter so would be probably at-least an weekly WB to start with.

You would think within an month or two of being open an daily 789 would be achievable.

kiwifrequentflyer Jul 13, 2020 4:46 pm

Well that is extremely exciting news! Thank you :D

Rustydfa Jul 13, 2020 8:14 pm

Just because DPM Brown says it will happen do not hold your breath. NZ PM has already come out and said not yet, quite rightly she has NZ as top priority.

cavemanzk Jul 13, 2020 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by Rustydfa (Post 32529808)
Just because DPM Brown says it will happen do not hold your breath. NZ PM has already come out and said not yet, quite rightly she has NZ as top priority.

She maybe forgetting that Cook Islands are apart of her responsibility too, the Cook Islands are part of the Realm of New Zealand.

The economic benefits of re-opening the Cook Islands, is an major benefit to the Islands economy, and Air New Zealand.

I would think that the NZ Government is upset that the Cook Island government has jumped the gun an made an announcement before they do.

Opening RAR backup could help save an bunch of cabin crew jobs at NZ too.

Eltham Jul 14, 2020 12:19 am

Ah right, the green light that is actually still red.

Rustydfa Jul 14, 2020 12:53 am

Originally Posted by cavemanzk (Post 32529831)
She maybe forgetting that Cook Islands are apart of her responsibility too, the Cook Islands are part of the Realm of New Zealand.

The economic benefits of re-opening the Cook Islands, is an major benefit to the Islands economy, and Air New Zealand.

I would think that the NZ Government is upset that the Cook Island government has jumped the gun an made an announcement before they do.

Opening RAR backup could help save an bunch of cabin crew jobs at NZ too.

we have an election coming and keeping NZ going is far more important than looking after the Cooks, realm country or not. Keep the money here rather than spending overseas is best, we get nothing of real value from the Cooks so why spend money. If they need money be cheaper to give them a bigger than usual cash handout rather than let people here spend money there. After all just the money grabbers wanting the border open, the people do not, as they are educated enough to know the Cooks do not have the facilities to deal with the bug.
As for Air NZ they have enough credit money from people’s cancelled flights to make do.

kiwifrequentflyer Jul 14, 2020 1:21 am

Originally Posted by Rustydfa (Post 32530110)
we have an election coming and keeping NZ going is far more important than looking after the Cooks, realm country or not. Keep the money here rather than spending overseas is best, we get nothing of real value from the Cooks so why spend money. If they need money be cheaper to give them a bigger than usual cash handout rather than let people here spend money there. After all just the money grabbers wanting the border open, the people do not, as they are educated enough to know the Cooks do not have the facilities to deal with the bug.
As for Air NZ they have enough credit money from people’s cancelled flights to make do.

I guess we will see. I don't think it would have any negative impact on the election. But if if doesn't happen pre election and is delayed further I understand too. It would be a tragedy if New Zealand bought it into the country.

JamesBigglesworth Jul 15, 2020 12:13 am

we have an election coming and keeping NZ going is far more important than looking after the Cooks, realm country or not.

Such short term thinking. You actually want to drive the Pacific countries into the arms of the Chinese?

NZ *needs* to open up to the Pacific as fast as it can. It needs it far more than it needs Australia. We need the workers and we need the spend the countries direct to NZ and we need the good will and the political position.

Keep the money here rather than spending overseas is best, we get nothing of real value from the Cooks so why spend money.
The Cooks spend the vast majority of their income importing things from NZ and Australia: tourist spend *there* comes directly back *here*.

If they need money be cheaper to give them a bigger than usual cash handout rather than let people here spend money there. After all just the money grabbers wanting the border open, the people do not, as they are educated enough to know the Cooks do not have the facilities to deal with the bug.
The 1950's called and want your outdated and inaccurate paternalistic viewpoint back.

cavemanzk Jul 15, 2020 2:35 am

1000s of unseen jobs in New Zealand, are created by Pacific Island Tourism.

An bubble with the Pacific Islands, has greater value than you think. Firstly reduces AID required, secondly jobs created in New Zealand by tourism in the Islands.

Cabin Crew, Pilots, Ground Handers, Catering, ATC Controllers, Airline back office staff etc, are just an few direct roles in New Zealand.

Then you have exports to the Islands (we need to eat and drink on our holiday). Then there is the Uber driver that gets us to the airport. The people that are employed in New Zealand to market and selling accomodation in the Island.

kiwifrequentflyer Aug 3, 2020 3:16 am

Great news. Preparations well under way for the Pacific bubble, along with concrete details of how it will work. If I had to place my bet I would say, shortly after the election, this is a go: https://i.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/12...islands-bubble

JANZFlyer Aug 3, 2020 1:04 pm

i'm betting within 3-4 weeks! Why wait till after the election?