Deported from Aus a decade ago...now want to transit to New Zealand...

Old May 25, 20, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

Deported from Aus a decade ago...now want to transit to New Zealand...

Anyone know if this will be a problem? I'm from the UK, have a UK passport. Will be in Melbourne airport for 4 hours...

Deported for being caught with weed. I think there is a warrant out for me in Brisbane...
Old May 25, 20, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I see 2 issues.

In term of the transit, the best way to tackle that is to apply a ETA, even not require. If you are honest when applying for the ETA, the ETA result is a strong indication on your success in transit. Another alternative is to apply a physical visa, which I guess you would not like.

In term of the warrant, the best is to contact Queensland Police Service suggested by Legal Aid Queensland:

Warrants - Legal Aid Queensland

Keep in mind - just because you are transiting, it does not mean Australia can't do anything against you and has no information of your transit. In fact, another Commonwealth country has done something like this and created an massive international incident.
Old May 26, 20, 12:09 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-exDM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
On the immigration side, there should be no issues. On a UK passport you don't need a visa to transit. You don't need a legal right to enter Australia and so issues you may have in getting one are irrelevant. So immigration is simply not part of your journey.

Ensure you meet this criteria however for transit without visa:
https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visa...t-without-visa

MEL has a transit area and so no problems there:
https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visa...alian-airports

I would not recommend seeking an ETA as advised above. It is guaranteed to be rejected and would only risk causing more issues. It would notify Australia that you are coming and suggests you intend to enter the country which you do not. In normal circumstances an ETA is nice to have for transit in case of flight delays. Not in your case, it's a liability.

The sticking point is the criminal side; Australia could stop you even if you don't formally enter the country if you have an outstanding warrant. Would they bother? Probably not, but they can. I can't really offer advice on the risk in this regard. I am not an expert or lawyer in any case.
Old May 26, 20, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
It would not surprise me at all if Australia and New Zealand shared this type of information, meaning your arrival in NZ could be interesting. But I don't know. I don't think you'd get into NZ currently anyway.
stewardo and nancypants like this.
Old May 26, 20, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by CPMaverick View Post
I would not recommend seeking an ETA as advised above. It is guaranteed to be rejected and would only risk causing more issues. It would notify Australia that you are coming and suggests you intend to enter the country which you do not. In normal circumstances an ETA is nice to have for transit in case of flight delays. Not in your case, it's a liability.
Getting rejected is the exact purpose.

Australia will be notified about OP's transit no matter what. So getting the ETA means OP can drop the plan.
Old May 26, 20, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by applebum32 View Post
Deported for being caught with weed. I think there is a warrant out for me in Brisbane...
I'm curious, why would there be a warrant if you were deported? Is it a sort of dormant warrant to prevent you from entering the country?
DC9 likes this.
Old May 26, 20, 3:34 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, UA 2P, Marriott LTPP
Are you sure you'd be allowed entry to NZ? If not, this seems academic as you'd likely not be able to check in for your flight to Australia in the first instance, regardless of your potential transit concerns there.
stewardo and nancypants like this.
Old May 26, 20, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Ditto on LondonElite's question. Something not adding up here.

All that said, why on earth would you even want to transit Australia to get to New Zealand. You can get to NZ via Asia, the Middle East or North America. Seems utterly unnecessary to go through Australia.
DC9 likes this.
Old May 26, 20, 4:23 pm

There are so many ways you can fly directly to NZ from so many other countries, what is your purpose of transit in Australia? To find out if you warrant is still in record???

Transit in Australia may or may not be able to tell but applying to enter Australia will.

NZ and Australia may share their information but they still have their own jurisdiction, your main concern should be entry into NZ.
Old May 26, 20, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by Guyin View Post
There are so many ways you can fly directly to NZ from so many other countries, .
Unfortunately for British nationals travelling from UK this is not true at present.

International arrivals into NZ are sparse: just LA, HK and Australia. The US does not allow entry to European nationals and HK is closed for transit. There are other requirements that differ between the AU state governments: though at present Victoria (MEL) doesn't require the extra advance paperwork that NSW/QLD do to allow transit.

Agree that this is all moot though if the poster is not a New Zealand citizen or travelling with her NZ citizen spouse.
trooper and :D! like this.
Old May 26, 20, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
I'm curious, why would there be a warrant if you were deported? Is it a sort of dormant warrant to prevent you from entering the country?
Yeah that doesn't make sense. Presumably in order to get your visa cancelled and be deported you had to have.a bit of face time in front of a magistrate.

Unless you were caught with pounds of weed it's unlikely you would still be on any police radar.
:D! likes this.
Old May 27, 20, 12:55 am

I took it to mean there may have been multiple disagreements with the constabulary while in Australia so while he was deported for something in one state there could have been an outstanding matter in another. I can also see a circumstance where he’s met and married a New Zealander in the UK in the intervening years so right now can enter NZ, would like to do so (half the UK would probably like to do so right at the moment) and can’t do so without transiting Australia. Starts all getting a bit far fetched but that all fits.

My take is similar to many of the others, the real issue would be entering NZ, not transiting Aus, so if you can get into NZ then it shouldn’t be an issue.
Old May 27, 20, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IMOA View Post
I took it to mean there may have been multiple disagreements with the constabulary while in Australia so while he was deported for something in one state there could have been an outstanding matter in another. I can also see a circumstance where heís met and married a New Zealander in the UK in the intervening years so right now can enter NZ, would like to do so (half the UK would probably like to do so right at the moment) and canít do so without transiting Australia. Starts all getting a bit far fetched but that all fits.

My take is similar to many of the others, the real issue would be entering NZ, not transiting Aus, so if you can get into NZ then it shouldnít be an issue.
I suppose that's all possible (and making it even more unlikely to get through Australia undetected) but it would be useful for the OP to clear up a few things.
Old May 27, 20, 10:34 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-exDM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by garykung View Post
Getting rejected is the exact purpose.

Australia will be notified about OP's transit no matter what. So getting the ETA means OP can drop the plan.
What plan? I don't follow your logic. Applying for a visa that you don't need anyway, just to get rejected? What purpose does that serve?
Old May 28, 20, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPMaverick View Post
What plan? I don't follow your logic. Applying for a visa that you don't need anyway, just to get rejected? What purpose does that serve?
Exactly.

Setting aside the warrant issue, there is no way to tell OP can transit in Australia without incidents. That's the ETA kick in.

Of course, OP is not exactly planning entering Australia. So ETA sounds meaningless. But if Australia does not welcome OP in anyway, the ETA will tell.

Keep in mind - while ETA does not determine OP's success rate in transit, but still it is an official determination by Australia. If OP is lucky enough to have the ETA approved (which is unlikely), that means OP's transit should have no issue.

Of course - OP can apply a transit visa officially. But it is Australia to suggest apply for ETA.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: