Old Apr 17, 2021, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
For the NZ<---->AU (quarantine free) travel bubble various governmental permissions are needed in a addition to the usual passport/visa

AU permission (for NZ to AU)
AU Govt
In addition State/territory authority may be needed.
What is in effect at any time can be hard to determine. May also be required cross a state border
NZ permission (for AU to NZ)
No states, so a lot simpler.
NZ Govt
Print Wikipost

Trans Tasman Bubble (including the Pacific Islands)

Old Jun 14, 2020, 6:28 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
The reasons why the bubble can't yet occur are the same problem NZ is going to face for a long time.

The world is going to open up slowly and just deal with small outbreaks as they occur. NZ just wants no cases - which will mean having to keep our borders shut.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Elite
EDIT: Prp343 is correct. I needed to hear that. My reply was pathetic I will stop arguing on the internet

Last edited by kiwifrequentflyer; Jun 14, 2020 at 9:54 pm
Old Jun 15, 2020, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
The biggest impediment to the Pacific bubble (as opposed to just TT) is that Australia has very little to gain economically. I'd expect domestic tourism operators to fight tooth and nail against a PB because it will divert a significant amount of domestic tourism to cheaper places like Fiji etc. On the other hand, for geopolitical reasons I can see Australia not wanting to be seen to be letting the islands fail lest China move in further.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to what a junior minister says on the matter either. It will be a decision made by the cabinet. The Minister for the Pacific (honestly, I had no idea such a minister existed) isn't even in the cabinet.

Last edited by bensyd; Jun 15, 2020 at 7:35 pm
Old Jun 17, 2020, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The government seems lukewarm at best on the idea of travel bubble with anyone, let alone the Pacific Islands.
Australians can forget about overseas travel until at least next year, the Morrison Government has warned.

As borders remained locked down to prevent the spread of the coronavirus, Tourism Minister Simon Birmingham has again urged Australians to consider a holiday at home.

Despite talk of a “travel bubble” with New Zealand or other countries that have few coronavirus cases, Senator Birmingham warned travellers not to get their hopes up.

Senator Birmingham told the National Press Club it is “more likely” Australians will be banned from overseas travel until 2021, unless under special exemptions for limited business travel and on compassionate grounds.

“I hope that we can look eventually at some of those countries who have similar successes in suppressing the spread of COVID to Australia and New Zealand, and in working ... with those countries to find safe pathways to deal with essential business travel that helps to contribute to jobs across our economies,’’ he said.

“But I do, sadly, think that in terms of open tourist-related travel in or out of Australia, that remains quite some distance off, just because of the practicalities of the volumes that are involved and the need for us to first and foremost keep putting health first.”

Asked if he was really talking about a travel ban until 2021, Senator Birmingham replied: “Honestly, I think that is more likely the case.”
https://www.news.com.au/travel/trave...1b4704832adf4b
Old Jun 17, 2020, 3:11 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I think Australia has missed the boat in terms of eradicating the virus like NZ. They were tantalizingly close, but now opening up with still community transfer in VIC (and to a much lesser extent, NSW).

The federal government seems to be pushing for the other states to open borders, and so closed borders and states within a NZ travel bubble are also not possible.

So, IMO, the travel bubble is unlikely now. NZ won't want to erase the hard work they've done.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
I think Australia has missed the boat in terms of eradicating the virus like NZ. They were tantalizingly close, but now opening up with still community transfer in VIC (and to a much lesser extent, NSW).

The federal government seems to be pushing for the other states to open borders, and so closed borders and states within a NZ travel bubble are also not possible.

So, IMO, the travel bubble is unlikely now. NZ won't want to erase the hard work they've done.
Agree that the bubble is unlikely. Eradication never seemed like a realistic policy. It is possible that early next year some countries with low numbers can be in a bubble with Australia. NZ is the outlier. I don't see how it's possible to maintain what they have set up for what could very well be 2-3 years.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by bensyd
Agree that the bubble is unlikely. Eradication never seemed like a realistic policy. It is possible that early next year some countries with low numbers can be in a bubble with Australia. NZ is the outlier. I don't see how it's possible to maintain what they have set up for what could very well be 2-3 years.
Or longer as the virus mutates...

David
Old Jun 18, 2020, 7:27 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Agree that the bubble is unlikely. Eradication never seemed like a realistic policy.
I didn't think it was realistic early on. But there has been more than one day of 0 local virus cases in Australia. So it was tantalizingly close. Heck, if you take out VIC they've basically done it. If AU did a lock down like NZ they would have almost certainly achieved a similar result. But hindsight is an easy thing.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I didn't think it was realistic early on. But there has been more than one day of 0 local virus cases in Australia. So it was tantalizingly close. Heck, if you take out VIC they've basically done it. If AU did a lock down like NZ they would have almost certainly achieved a similar result. But hindsight is an easy thing.
Yeah I agree we were/are pretty close. But I wonder if the public would have gone along with it. The problem with eradication is requiring 28 days of no cases. I just don't think the majority of the public who have lost jobs/businesses etc would be willing to sit around for a month waiting for no new cases. And imagine trying to sell eradication if after 20+ days you get a random community case pop-up.

And then once you get to eradication what happens next? Unlikely that the virus will disappear and it could be years before there is a vaccine. Will Middle Earth become the Hermit Kingdom?
Old Jun 19, 2020, 8:50 pm

Im not convinced we would have actually as the vast majority of the community spread for the last month has been through what would have been considered essential workers. The things that we did have open which NZ didnt, restaurants, cafes, more relaxed restrictions on being outside, dont seem to have had much of an impact on infections but certainly did have a big impact on the economy.

Its also interesting that the state that was the strictest on what people could do, strict enforcement and handing out fines etc is also the one which has had sustained community transmission for the longest. No idea if by being so proscriptive it made people turn off common sense and do silly things even though they were following the rules or whether it was just plain bad luck but it is kinda interesting.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well I reckon given what's happening in Victoria and Andrews tossing up the idea of a partial border shutdown with NSW the travel bubble has just been pushed back a few months.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

News.com.au 30 June 2020 ---> Trans-Tasman bubble shelved after Vic spike – but airports are ready to go
The first flight of the trans-Tasman bubble, a charter flight between Canberra and Wellington, has been pushed back after Victoria experienced a huge spike in coronavirus cases.The first flight between Australia and New Zealand, expected to be a charter flight between Canberra and Wellington, has been delayed after Victoria experienced a huge spike in community-transmitted coronavirus cases.

Stephen Byron, the managing director of Canberra Airport, told NCA NewsWire he had hoped to have a charter flight from Canberra to Wellington take off today – but ongoing government discussions and the situation south of the border had put a pin in it.
<snip>
To me CBR-WLG flight was going to be nothing more than a political publicity stunt.
Pre Covid-19 were 100's of flights per week NZ<----->AU
Old Jun 29, 2020, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
News.com.au 30 June 2020 ---> Trans-Tasman bubble shelved after Vic spike – but airports are ready to go

To me CBR-WLG flight was going to be nothing more than a political publicity stunt.
Pre Covid-19 were 100's of flights per week NZ<----->AU
Not surprising. Not really surprised by what's going on in Victoria either. They never really got their community transmission numbers down as low as NSW, but they started to open back up anyway. Considering they're dealing with a reasonable spike now, imagine what's going to happen as Europe reopens.
Old Jul 5, 2020, 2:10 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Well I reckon given what's happening in Victoria and Andrews tossing up the idea of a partial border shutdown with NSW the travel bubble has just been pushed back a few months.
Plan A was open Australia to NZ
Plan B is open select Australian states to NZ.

Its ridiculous to hold back an entire country due to one city.

Its costing both countries to place pax in managed isolation/hotel quarantine when, unless youre coming from Melbourne youre low risk. What a waste of taxpayer funds!

Most states/territories doing well opening up. Im keen to see how the internal borders opening goes. From what Ive seen the premiers/chiefs have little appetite for reintroduced infections so expect it to go well. Then I really cant see the point in delaying NZ entry to Australia. Will be nice to get some safe flights going too to avoid the bollocks that occurred on this flight

Old Jul 5, 2020, 2:21 am

Programs: QF WP
Article makes an interesting point though which is that for a bubble presumably transit passengers will need to be separated from O/D passengers?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.