Any COVID updates for French Polynesia/Tahiti?

Old May 27, 2020, 1:23 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.3MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by OhDoctor
My sense is the quarantine requirement will be phased out in stages, with low risk travelers being exempt first, while those from the US/Brazil/Italy etc. may have to wait longer. I could be totally off base. That being said, if you're a Kiwi, I would think you'll be OK by July.
Im not a Kiwi by passport though, so that will be interesting. A US passport holder who owns property in NZ. Id probably need to contact the consulate or border forces for some documentation If I had to guess.
Old May 29, 2020, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Air Tahiti has cancelled all inter-island flights not originating in PPT. So no BOB-MOZ, or BOB to other islands.

We had a 2 week trip in late August that is now toast.
Old May 29, 2020, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Air Tahiti has cancelled all inter-island flights not originating in PPT. So no BOB-MOZ, or BOB to other islands.

We had a 2 week trip in late August that is now toast.
Sorry about that. Not so great news, especially on the heels of hearing that the IC Moorea was closing permanently earlier today.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 7:20 am
Original Poster

More updates today:

https://www.rnz.co.nz/international/...as-territories

At least some conversation about prioritizing the "de-quarantine" process for high value destinations like Bora Bora, but they only mention French citizens here.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Re-opening to tourists July 15!

French Polynesia which boasts over 100 tropical islands including Tahiti stretching over 2,000 kilometres in the South Pacific will begin opening up on July 3 when its citizens will be allowed to return and quarantine restrictions on arrivals will also be eased. From July 15, it will once again accept international tourism from its main markets in Europe and the United States.
https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/19...urists-in-july
Old Jun 6, 2020, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Lots of hoops to jump though:

https://tahititourisme.com/en-us/covid-19/?

No one knows what the exact paperwork will be. Know one knows what they mean by mandatory travel insurance. What sort of documentation for the negative cover test, and who will check on validity.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by susiesan
Lots of hoops to jump though:

https://tahititourisme.com/en-us/covid-19/?

No one knows what the exact paperwork will be. Know one knows what they mean by mandatory travel insurance. What sort of documentation for the negative cover test, and who will check on validity.
I actually think this is all reasonable. Get a negative COVID swab, print the results, print a copy of your travel insurance (they specifically note that the medical insurance included with some cards may suffice, but additional travel insurance tends to be pretty cheap), and bring a few masks with you.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by OhDoctor
I actually think this is all reasonable. Get a negative COVID swab, print the results, print a copy of your travel insurance (they specifically note that the medical insurance included with some cards may suffice, but additional travel insurance tends to be pretty cheap), and bring a few masks with you.
It's the medical certificate that could be problem. What does it need to say? Who does it have to be from? The wording says if the test is negative:boarding. What test?

So much ambiguity that needs clarification, but Tahiti Tourism does say specifics to be communicated.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 8:34 pm

LAX>PPT

Covid 19 PCR Test will be required plus insurance.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 10:28 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.3MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
This isnt a Delta specific (or any other airline) regulation-its just a rule for all from anywhere in the world traveling to Tahiti and was announced 48 hours ago.

https://tahititourisme.org/en-us/covid-19/
Old Jun 8, 2020, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DLATL777
This isnt a Delta specific (or any other airline) regulation-its just a rule for all from anywhere in the world traveling to Tahiti and was announced 48 hours ago.
https://tahititourisme.org/en-us/covid-19/
Old news.
Dedicated thread in the Sou Pac forum---->Any COVID updates for French Polynesia/Tahiti?
Old Jun 17, 2020, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, GlobalEntry, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis Presidents Club
COVID-19 testing prior to PPT boarding

I'm booked on a SFO-PPT flight on 8/20.
The French Polynesian government has said that everyone needs a negative PCR test within 72 hours of boarding ( I guess the airlines are checking this at gate?)
https://tahititourisme.com/en-us/covid-19/
The problem is... quick testing (as in getting results in less than 3 days) is reserved for "at risk" population (which I am not)
Any ideas on a place in the SFO area that will do fast testing/results for the flights?
I noticed that Air Tahiti Nui has partnered with a clinic near the LAX area that specifically has a test "Air Tahiti Nui Flight screening" - which doesn't require any Dr. referral... just a boarding pass.
Thoughts, ideas? TIA!
Old Jun 17, 2020, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
We are booked on the 18th, and I dont anticipate these flights to operate, I have a feeling United will remove them when the next update comes (hoping so anyway so its easy to refund)

Air Tahiti has cancelled most of our domestic flights between the islands anyway - so the trip is going to have to be postponed.

Good luck on getting a test (and results) within 72 hours of arrival - which really means you have 2 days to get results
Old Jun 17, 2020, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA GS (1MM), DL Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Avis CC
Literally booked this flight last night for November 21. Hoping either testing or vaccination situation is figured out by then.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 6:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Good luck on getting a test (and results) within 72 hours of arrival
Boarding time, not arrival time.

Originally Posted by SteveHK
Hoping either testing or vaccination situation is figured out by then.
Maybe testing, but definitely no vaccine that soon.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.