Any COVID updates for French Polynesia/Tahiti?

Old Aug 13, 21, 1:02 pm

Anyone know what changed exactly on August 11th for the COVID entry requirements?

https://tahititourisme.com/en-us/covid-19/
SamirD likes this.
Old Aug 13, 21, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: human being triple secret platinum
Originally Posted by mileagehighclub View Post
Anyone know what changed exactly on August 11th for the COVID entry requirements?

https://tahititourisme.com/en-us/covid-19/
Nothing changed. They routinely change the date to reflect the latest information.
Old Aug 13, 21, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by OhDoctor View Post
Nothing changed. They routinely change the date to reflect the latest information.
Actually there are some changes. I compared against an archived version to find the following:
  1. Health request and uploading your vaccination record doesn't seem to be needed anymore. Only ETIS
  2. Arrival for vaccinated passengers includes RT-PCR test now instead of antigen test.
Looks like Manava resort also covers some of the changes: https://www.manavamoorearesort.com/e...nch-polynesia/
SamirD likes this.
Old Aug 13, 21, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

Actually there are some changes. I compared against an archived version to find the following:
  1. Health request and uploading your vaccination record doesn't seem to be needed anymore. Only ETIS
  2. Arrival for vaccinated passengers includes RT-PCR test now instead of antigen test.
Looks like Manava resort also covers some of the changes: https://www.manavamoorearesort.com/e...nch-polynesia/
Not sure what version you're looking at, but the Google cached page from July 21st appears to be identical to the current version.
Old Aug 13, 21, 9:28 pm

OMG I think we just found out that we are totally shafted. We were flying back from Bora Bora on a Saturday afternoon in October. 2 of us get on to the Hawai'ian flight to Honolulu at 11:30 PM that evening and 2 on the UA flight at 9:15 PM. We were planning to do the Antigen tests at the airport before the flight. Well... we are using miles so we booked the tix wayy back in like November last year before the testing requirements were implemented.

Well we just found out that the state of Hawai'i does not accept Antigen. Only NAAT and PCR. And the Airport testing PCR results are not back within an hour like the Antigen. So basically we may not be able to go to HNL as we were not planning to get back to PPT prior to the day of departure. One option was to reschedule our inter-island flights so we could get back to PPT earlier, but some of the hotels we were going to stay at have no availability so it's a disaster. We'll likely just have to buy two tix on the Saturday flight on United straight to SFO.

So before we do anything I just wanted to check - the Antigen test at PPT airport testing center which has a 1 hour turnaround is accepted by United for SFO, correct?
Old Aug 13, 21, 9:32 pm
LHG

Programs: AS MVP Gold and hotel status through their credit cards as needed :)
yes it is
SamirD likes this.
Old Aug 13, 21, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by LHG View Post
yes it is
Thanks. Well that may be the only option then. What an unbelievable cluster.

Actually I thought of another option. None of which is going to be easy on the wallet. The two of us going to HNL can do a quick round trip two days before our Saturday HA flight leaving in the morning on Thursday from Bora to PPT, head to The Louis Malard Institute (ILM) which is open early to 1 PM without appointment required, and get the test and then fly back the same afternoon. That saves us having to cancel our HNL flight + HNL hotel + flight back to the mainland + shell out beaucoup bucks for the Saturday UA flight which is now sky high with limited availability. Not that a round trip between BOB and PPT is cheap... but at least somewhat less hassle overall. Only thing is we're staying at the 4 Seasons on BOB and hate to waste a whole day... but so be it.

Oh the swooning delights of the South Pacific. Never could I have imagined that getting my nasal passages swabbed would be one of them.
SamirD likes this.

Last edited by gq_dq; Aug 13, 21 at 11:13 pm
Old Aug 14, 21, 12:11 am

Programs: AA EXP / Marriott AMB & LT Titanium
and there is this new section on the RT-PCR test which is now a self test:

RT-PCR self-test on arrival:

All travelers (from 6 years old) must undergo an RT-PCR self-test upon arrival, regardless of their vaccination status. A self-test kit with instructions will be given to them upon disembarking. The test can be performed under the supervision of a health professional in a dedicated area at the airport from 5am and 10am. Outside of these opening hours, travelers must take their test on the day of their arrival and leave it at their hotel reception in Tahiti and Moorea or directly in one of the drop-off locations.
SamirD likes this.

Last edited by FrontOfTheCurtain; Aug 14, 21 at 1:26 am
Old Aug 14, 21, 12:27 am

Programs: AA EXP / Marriott AMB & LT Titanium
Looks like Tahiti is your only option after I read this: https://tahititourisme.com/en-us/returningtohawaii/
SamirD likes this.

Last edited by FrontOfTheCurtain; Aug 14, 21 at 12:57 am
Old Aug 14, 21, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, AC35k
Originally Posted by FrontOfTheCurtain View Post
and there is this new section on the RT-PCR test which is now a self test:

RT-PCR self-test on arrival:

All travelers (from 6 years old) must undergo an RT-PCR self-test upon arrival, regardless of their vaccination status. A self-test kit with instructions will be given to them upon disembarking. The test can be performed under the supervision of a health professional in a dedicated area at the airport from 5am and 10am. Outside of these opening hours, travelers must take their test on the day of their arrival and leave it at their hotel reception in Tahiti and Moorea or directly in one of the drop-off locations.
so for the 7pm united arrival you basically self test and then bring it back to the airport next morning before flying out to the other islands?
Old Aug 14, 21, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by FrontOfTheCurtain View Post
Looks like Tahiti is your only option after I read this: https://tahititourisme.com/en-us/returningtohawaii/
Yes, this has become an unbelievable nightmare. I cannot for the life of me understand how the State of Hawai'i can choose to not accept the antigen when the rest of the US does. Oh well every state can make their own rules I s'pose.

We really didn't want to run back and forth to PPT from BOB in the middle of our stay. Well I just rebooked the other two on an AF flight leaving the next morning non-stop to LA. Now I have to cancel all our Hawai'i bookings.

I presume (and hope to heaven) that AF will accept the antigen test.

Man... this one's for the history books. I have no words.
SamirD likes this.
Old Aug 14, 21, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gq_dq View Post
Yes, this has become an unbelievable nightmare. I cannot for the life of me understand how the State of Hawai'i can choose to not accept the antigen when the rest of the US does. Oh well every state can make their own rules I s'pose.

We really didn't want to run back and forth to PPT from BOB in the middle of our stay. Well I just rebooked the other two on an AF flight leaving the next morning non-stop to LA. Now I have to cancel all our Hawai'i bookings.

I presume (and hope to heaven) that AF will accept the antigen test.

Man... this one's for the history books. I have no words.
Not to complicate things, but with the current COVID trend on Tahiti and Moorea, it's very possible that the hoops you will need to jump through will be quite different 6 weeks from now (if you're able to jump through them at all).
SamirD likes this.
Old Aug 14, 21, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by OhDoctor View Post
Not to complicate things, but with the current COVID trend on Tahiti and Moorea, it's very possible that the hoops you will need to jump through will be quite different 6 weeks from now (if you're able to jump through them at all).
Well... Guess what...I think you jinxed me just joking... I just spoke to the Travel Agent who booked our AirPass told me that French Bee and Air France have been cancelling their respective PPT-SFO and PPT-LAX flights for the last few months since their flights originate in Paris and France is still under the US COVID travel ban so to speak. They cancel flights a month out so it is highly likely the AF flight I booked this morning for October will be cancelled also within the next few weeks. So the only option if I don't want to fly Hawai'ian is to get onto United since Tahiti Nui has also cancelled half their flights and is also sold out for several days after that weekend we are departing because they are reaccommodating all the cancelled pax from the other airlines.

So I think to give us some extra time, we will squash any illusions that we'll make it to Hawai'i, also cancel the AF flight now and rebook for a few days later on UA. That will give us a little buffer. We don't need to go to Hawai'i for any specific reason and can get back to the US mainland a few days later since we're skipping Hawai'i. I did the math for getting the PCR test. Around $550 same day BOB-PPT-BOB round trip per pax + 2 PCR tests @ $180 a pop that is a total of $1,460 just to go to Hawai'i for no reason. Versus 2 antigen tests @ around 60 a pop which will be a total of 120. So an extra $1,340 just to get 2 PCR tests. Is this insane or what. Unless my math is way off.

There's a really cheap mid-week one way on UA so we'll take that. And that one better happen. Or we'll be binging on poisson cru for a lot longer than we thought.
SamirD likes this.
Old Aug 14, 21, 1:57 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by gq_dq View Post
Thanks, I will check with them again and then may have to do the PCR. So did they accept your NAAT?
No way on the NAAT. Didn't even try it after going before departure date and asking the ticketing agents. RT-PCR was the only thing they would accept to fly.
Old Aug 14, 21, 2:02 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Fairly certain the problem is that the test reports are not explicitly stating that the tests are RT-PCR. What I've noticed is Quest Diagnostics is listing them as NAAT tests and then writing below that RT-PCR is included within NAAT type tests. Maybe some more microbiologists can chime in but technically there may be other forms of NAAT, but my understanding is the vast majority of tests done these days in the NAAT category are RT-PCR.

For people clearly choosing Antigen, then that's a different kind of test I agree, but I really hope this NAAT BS gets cleared up.
Yep, that's exactly the problem. And the United ticketing supervisor took my test (previous one that would be identical to the one I got for this trip) and pointed at the 'NAAT' at the top and said that 'this would need to say RT-PCR', and disregarded anything the report said about NAAT being a type of PCR and that the test was valid for all travel international and domestic.

There have been medical professionals that KNOW that a NAAT is a PCR test and still deal with this issue. I believe it is one of legality where United simply doesn't want to bother with any liability from dealing with any test it deems 'marginal', so RT-PCR or nothing at all. And also it has A LOT to do with the ticketing agent and what they think they can/will accept. But if you don't want to play this game, RT-PCR and move on.

Search this Thread