Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any COVID updates for French Polynesia/Tahiti?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2021, 9:28 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by OhDoctor
Following up, there now appears to be a 9pm curfew in place, with more shutdowns looming.
Wow, so they are returning to the previous status that our taxi driver was telling us about. I hoped that it wasn't going to be the case, but the combination of removing curfews and a new variant spreading hastily throughout the world made it almost inevitable to return to this.

Last edited by SamirD; Aug 12, 2021 at 1:31 am
Old Aug 11, 2021, 9:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP / Marriott AMB & LT Titanium
Originally Posted by gq_dq
We're kinda doing the same thing. Wed to SFO, overnight, Thu afternoon UA 115 dep SFO 1:20 PM. I presume we can do the test Tuesday which is the day before we leave for SFO? Actually we may have to do it

Oh and the 72 h is from the Departure of the flight, not the landing correct? Which would be in a totally different time zone. What a nightmare. Even so, since we are also in Eastern, 72 h prior to 1:20 PM PT Thursday departure would mean no earlier than 4:20 PM ET Monday?
Yes, to be perfectly safe, 72 hours from time of departure for flight leaving SFO/LAX to PPT. You should account for the time zone change too.
SamirD likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 5:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers
Things quickly devolving. In addition to curfew, lockdowns in place now for Tahiti and Moorea on Sundays, with only "essential travel" allowed.

https://www.tntv.pf/tntvnews/polynes...ment-dimanche/
SamirD likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 7:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, B6 Mosaic
I hope essential travel includes getting from the Intercontinental to PPT on Sunday, August 22 for my flight to Bora Bora!! Even though at 1.9 km away, I guess I could walk it!
SamirD likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by FrontOfTheCurtain
Yes, to be perfectly safe, 72 hours from time of departure for flight leaving SFO/LAX to PPT. You should account for the time zone change too.
I think we'll just do the Antigen test. I believe it is accepted. That takes only 15 minutes for the results. Unless I am missing something.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 5:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by OhDoctor
Things quickly devolving. In addition to curfew, lockdowns in place now for Tahiti and Moorea on Sundays, with only "essential travel" allowed.

https://www.tntv.pf/tntvnews/polynes...ment-dimanche/
World Surf League just cancelled the Tahiti Pro (held at Teahupoo) surf competition schedule for next weekend. Part of the reason was a "rumor" that Tahiti is closing their borders as of this coming Sunday (August 15th, 2021).
SamirD likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by FLLUAFlyer
I hope essential travel includes getting from the Intercontinental to PPT on Sunday, August 22 for my flight to Bora Bora!! Even though at 1.9 km away, I guess I could walk it!
Here’s the translated piece from the article that pertains to this: “…Travel to the ferry terminal or the airport will be possible…”
SamirD likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 9:31 pm

I think we'll just do the Antigen test. I believe it is accepted. That takes only 15 minutes for the results. Unless I am missing something.
YMMV depending on your origination city as the check-in counter may not be versed on what is allowed or not. RT-PCR is your safest bet. The only reason we choose to get the antigen test is we were flying out of LAX on Air Tahit Nui. The Air Tahiti Nui web-site listed antigen is accepted. Additionally I received an email from Air Tahiti Nui a week before departure with that information as well. Based on that we felt comfortable we would not be denied.
SamirD likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by FrontOfTheCurtain
YMMV depending on your origination city as the check-in counter may not be versed on what is allowed or not. RT-PCR is your safest bet. The only reason we choose to get the antigen test is we were flying out of LAX on Air Tahiti Nui. The Air Tahiti Nui web-site listed antigen is accepted. Additionally I received an email from Air Tahiti Nui a week before departure with that information as well. Based on that we felt comfortable we would not be denied.
I called United and the agent simply checked Timatic. I guess I can get an e-mail from them also. PCR takes longer. Maybe I can go to the airport counter a couple of days before and also clarify with them.

Timatic says:

Old Aug 12, 2021, 10:31 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
I called United and the agent simply checked Timatic. I guess I can get an e-mail from them also. PCR takes longer. Maybe I can go to the airport counter a couple of days before and also clarify with them.

Timatic says:

Our experience with United just last month out of SFO was that anything other than RT-PCR won't fly. And this was contrary to what everyone was saying, including the United call center, Kaiser, and timatic.

RT-PCR seems to be the gold standard everywhere so this doesn't surprise me, but was frustrating since our Kiaser NAAT test is a type of PCR test (and the report even says so). But these aren't doctors or medical professionals, so they won't know all this info or how to digest it. RT-PCR or denied boarding was the final verdict.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by SamirD
Our experience with United just last month out of SFO was that anything other than RT-PCR won't fly. And this was contrary to what everyone was saying, including the United call center, Kaiser, and timatic.

RT-PCR seems to be the gold standard everywhere so this doesn't surprise me, but was frustrating since our Kiaser NAAT test is a type of PCR test (and the report even says so). But these aren't doctors or medical professionals, so they won't know all this info or how to digest it. RT-PCR or denied boarding was the final verdict.
Thanks, I will check with them again and then may have to do the PCR. So did they accept your NAAT?
SamirD likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2021, 12:46 am

Originally Posted by SamirD

Fairly certain the problem is that the test reports are not explicitly stating that the tests are RT-PCR. What I've noticed is Quest Diagnostics is listing them as NAAT tests and then writing below that RT-PCR is included within NAAT type tests. Maybe some more microbiologists can chime in but technically there may be other forms of NAAT, but my understanding is the vast majority of tests done these days in the NAAT category are RT-PCR.

For people clearly choosing Antigen, then that's a different kind of test I agree, but I really hope this NAAT BS gets cleared up.
SamirD likes this.

Last edited by mileagehighclub; Aug 13, 2021 at 1:47 am
Old Aug 13, 2021, 5:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FLLUAFlyer
World Surf League just cancelled the Tahiti Pro (held at Teahupoo) surf competition schedule for next weekend. Part of the reason was a "rumor" that Tahiti is closing their borders as of this coming Sunday (August 15th, 2021).
The rumor of a border closure on Sunday appears to be a mistranslation of the weekly Sunday Tahiti/Moorea lockdown -- though officials have stated they may extended the lockdown if things worsen to other days of the week.
SamirD likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2021, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
https://www.airtahiti.com/en/tickets...ble-changeable

Has anyone had any experience on cancelling domestic tickets (or passes) recently?
Are they really 100% refundable for the rest of 2021?

I would like to buy a pass, but I m not investing $1500+ if the borders close again.
SamirD likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2021, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rankourabu
https://www.airtahiti.com/en/tickets...ble-changeable

Has anyone had any experience on cancelling domestic tickets (or passes) recently?
Are they really 100% refundable for the rest of 2021?

I would like to buy a pass, but I m not investing $1500+ if the borders close again.
No personal experience although I have MOZ-BOB, BOB-RFP, and RFP-PPT all booked on VT in the next two weeks and am concerned about border closures.. so I'll let you know if I have to cancel!
SamirD likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.