FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Oceania (Australia, New Zealand & the South Pacific) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oceania-australia-new-zealand-south-pacific-461/)
-   -   Odds of an Australia trip 28 June 2020 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oceania-australia-new-zealand-south-pacific/2016587-odds-australia-trip-28-june-2020-a.html)

dlffla Apr 27, 2020 6:27 am

Odds of an Australia trip 28 June 2020

I made a reservation a few months ago for a three week trip to Australia leaving the US on June 28. I am thinking it looks doubtful that will take place as I certainly wouldn’t fly to Australia just to quarantine for two of those three weeks. However, there is a part of me that is still hopeful. While I realize this is getting into speculation, what do others think? I have heard rumors that Australia may keep its border closed for several months. Should I apply for my eVisa on the chance the trip will happen?

LondonElite Apr 27, 2020 6:33 am

For personal pleasure? I would say the chance is zero. The country's borders are currently closed to non-citizens/permanent residents. I don't believe a date for the opening of borders has been set, so expect that to go well into May, likely longer. A quarantine, especially from a place like the US is almost certainly still to be in place by the end of June. Wait for your flights to be cancelled (likely) or check with your travel insurance provider about a refund.

jridge Apr 27, 2020 10:06 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 32328072)
For personal pleasure? I would say the chance is zero. The country's borders are currently closed to non-citizens/permanent residents. I don't believe a date for the opening of borders has been set, so expect that to go well into May, likely longer. A quarantine, especially from a place like the US is almost certainly still to be in place by the end of June. Wait for your flights to be cancelled (likely) or check with your travel insurance provider about a refund.

Good advice. The general expectation is that restrictions will be lifted in approximately the reverse order that they were applied, meaning travel restrictions last. It has been said that a ban on Australians traveling overseas is "3-4 months" away from being lifted and I don't see how non-residents would be allowed in before that. I'm expecting anyone coming at least until then, and possibly longer, to face quarantine.

LondonElite Apr 27, 2020 10:13 am

Originally Posted by jridge (Post 32328635)
Good advice. The general expectation is that restrictions will be lifted in approximately the reverse order that they were applied, meaning travel restrictions last. It has been said that a ban on Australians traveling overseas is "3-4 months" away from being lifted and I don't see how non-residents would be allowed in before that. I'm expecting anyone coming at least until then, and possibly longer, to face quarantine.

You're not permitted to leave the country?

Raven_FL Apr 27, 2020 10:29 am

Here's one data point. I had booked a flight to Australia for mid July. Three weeks ago, I was notified that one of my flights was canceled and it could not be rebooked. I've requested a refund. Flights were on American/Qantas.

LondonElite Apr 27, 2020 10:37 am

Originally Posted by Raven_FL (Post 32328708)
Here's one data point. I had booked a flight to Australia for mid July. Three weeks ago, I was notified that one of my flights was canceled and it could not be rebooked. I've requested a refund. Flights were on American/Qantas.

I think the bigger picture is non Australian citizens getting into the country, regardless of what flights are operating.

FlossieFlyer Apr 27, 2020 10:39 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 32328659)

Correct. If you are an Australian citizen you have to obtain an exemption. Citizens of other countries/ dual citizens can depart but there are Immigration officers based at the checkin lines before you get to the actual desks to get your boarding pass.

bensyd Apr 27, 2020 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by dlffla (Post 32328057)
I made a reservation a few months ago for a three week trip to Australia leaving the US on June 28. I am thinking it looks doubtful that will take place as I certainly wouldn’t fly to Australia just to quarantine for two of those three weeks. However, there is a part of me that is still hopeful. While I realize this is getting into speculation, what do others think? I have heard rumors that Australia may keep its border closed for several months. Should I apply for my eVisa on the chance the trip will happen?

I'd say no chance. The length of the border closure is dependent on the situation outside Australia. It's hard to see a situation where the virus has reached a level of control in the US/Europe by June that would allow the border to be open to general tourism.

CPMaverick Apr 27, 2020 6:55 pm

ZERO. Australia is well and fully closed. Only citizens can return (with mandatory forced quarantine). Not even citizens can leave without an exemption (which has proven difficult to procure). It won't open anytime soon.

Tourism Minister Depressingly Forecasts "No International Travel Until Into 2021"

bensyd Apr 27, 2020 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by CPMaverick (Post 32329937)

Last Thursday the comments from the government changed a bit to "at least 3-4 months". Tbh, I don't really think anyone knows because it's something that no one has experienced in their lifetime. But I think it's pretty safe to assume that June will be a firm no.

I think a red and green zone situation will probably be the way the border reopens with residents of countries that have infections under control allowed in and everyone else not allowed.

Australia will keep its international borders closed for at least three to four months to protect itself from the coronavirus pandemic that continues to deepen in other parts of the world.

Border restrictions would likely be the final measure lifted and would stay in place even if other rules were eased according to Chief Medical Officer Brendan Murphy, the Australian Broadcasting Corp. reported Thursday. Murphy told a government inquiry focusing on the Australian virus response the measures still had scope for exceptional circumstances.

CPMaverick Apr 27, 2020 7:05 pm

Agreed. The 2021 was only a worst-case forecast, and things will change. But it gives an idea of how the Australian government views international travel... a long way off.

bensyd Apr 27, 2020 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 32328659)

Too many people returning from overseas weren't self isolating for 14 days, which necessitated the current quarantine requirements (in hotels under guard). Given the expense is being picked up by the taxpayer, and the unlikeliness of anyone wanting to travel overseas for leisure it made more sense to have a general ban on leaving the country.

FlossieFlyer Apr 28, 2020 12:56 am

And then in some states the cost of the hotel for 14-days has to be paid by the traveller. Not sure if it has been enforced yet, but certainly threatened.

CPMaverick Apr 28, 2020 2:26 am

Originally Posted by FlossieFlyer (Post 32330450)
And then in some states the cost of the hotel for 14-days has to be paid by the traveller. Not sure if it has been enforced yet, but certainly threatened.

I believe that is only for travel between states, where applicable.

nancypants Apr 28, 2020 2:34 am

Originally Posted by FlossieFlyer (Post 32330450)

it’s being enforced in the NT although we don’t get a lot of international arrivals anyway (7 a day seems to be the statistic at present)

if people are coming for a holiday, even if by some freak chance the australian borders are open, state/territory borders are likely to remain closed- the chief minister here has basically signalled that the NT would be the last to reopen borders. Would certainly put a damper on an Uluru trip!