Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need transit clarification ASAP for NZ/SYD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2020, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ps107
I'm planning to transit in Sydney next week. My transit will be under 72 hours so as a NZ citizen transiting to NZ, should be ok according to this https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/t...ng-australia#1
I'm just a bit unclear about what the procedure is on the ground in Sydney. Do I need to book a couple of nights in a hotel, or do I just do nothing and carted off to some facility decided by the government?
​​​​​​​​​​
How long will you be in Sydney? From NSW or overseas into SYD?
All 1 ticket or 2 separate tickets?
For people arriving from overseas they go to a state government paid & nominated hotel. Would expect international transit will be the same, but can find nothing on web sites. Would be full isolation.
Been reports of people, including NZ citizens, have been denied boarding due to SYD transit issues.
To me best to do more checking and get something in writing.

Edit
https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/int...1580226297.htm
AUSTRALIA - published 29.03.2020
1. Passengers are not allowed to transit or enter Australia.
- This does not apply to nationals of Australia.
- This does not apply to the immediate family members of nationals of Australia.
- This does not apply to permanent residents of Australia and their immediate family members.
- This does not apply to nationals of New Zealand residing in Australia.
- This does not apply to airline crew.
- This does not apply to diplomats accredited to Australia and currently resident in Australia, and their immediate family members.
- This does not apply to nationals of Fiji, Kiribati, Marshall Isl., Micronesia (Federated States), Nauru, New Zealand, Niue, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Samoa (American), Solomon Isl., Tonga, Tuvalu and Vanuatu when they are transiting through Australia to their home country.
- This does not apply to passengers who reside in Cook Isl., French Polynesia or New Caledonia when they are transiting through Australia to their home country.
2. All passengers are required to self-isolate for a period of 14 days at their first arrival location in Australia. If their duration of stay is less than 14 days, they must self-isolate for the entire duration of stay.
- This does not apply to airline crew with the appropriate personal protective equipment.
3. Nationals of Australia are not allowed to travel out of Australia.
This does not apply to the following:
- Persons ordinarily resident in a country other than Australia;
- Airline and maritime crew and associated safety workers;
- Persons engaged in the day to day conduct of outbound and inbound freight;
- Persons whose travel is associated with essential work at offshore facilities; and
- Persons travelling on official government business, including members of the Australian Defence Force.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Apr 16, 2020 at 2:42 am
Old Apr 16, 2020, 2:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by DLATL777
Thank you all.

Official policy is here-would not be allowed.

https://www.qantas.com/agencyconnect...australia.html
So what happened?
Old Apr 16, 2020, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Thank you all.
Official policy is here-would not be allowed.
https://www.qantas.com/agencyconnect...australia.html
So what happened?
Another thread by DLATL777 from 01 April---> https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lata...l-akl-mia.html
Old Apr 16, 2020, 2:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Another thread by DLATL777 from 01 April---> https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lata...l-akl-mia.html
Thanks!
Old Apr 16, 2020, 3:49 am

How long will you be in Sydney? From NSW or overseas into SYD?
All 1 ticket or 2 separate tickets?
For people arriving from overseas they go to a state government paid & nominated hotel. Would expect international transit will be the same, but can find nothing on web sites. Would be full isolation.
Been reports of people, including NZ citizens, have been denied boarding due to SYD transit issues.
To me best to do more checking and get something in writing.

Edit
https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/int...1580226297.htm
Doha to Sydney. In Sydney for about 65 hours, then onward to Auckland on a separate ticket. I was advised to aim for Sydney rather than Melbourne transit. They didn't say why, but maybe quarantine availability.

I'll make sure I carry print outs of a few of those websites just in case.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum

I'm just a bit unclear about what the procedure is on the ground in Sydney. Do I need to book a couple of nights in a hotel, or do I just do nothing and carted off to some facility decided by the government?

​​​​​​
​​​​​​
Quarantine is handled by the relevant state government not federally, and after the Ruby Princess debacle you can pretty much bet your bottom dollar that NSW Health will have a blanket quarantine for all international arrivals.

I assume the long transit is only because of a lack of flights?

Stay safe!
Old Apr 16, 2020, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by bensyd
Quarantine is handled by the relevant state government not federally, and after the Ruby Princess debacle you can pretty much bet your bottom dollar that NSW Health will have a blanket quarantine for all international arrivals.

Stay safe!
Yeah, I'm hoping to get a one off charter evacuation flight that will get me to Doha on the wrong day for an efficient connection.

The ​​​​​​QR flights arrive in SYD at around 1800 and NZ flights to AKL leave around noon and only three days a week so would need at least a ~18 transit in a best case scenario anyway.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Thanks!
Yeah, Qantas told me I would be denied boarding as would the friends of mine. US citizens flying NZ-AUS-USA all the way through.

We got them home on AKL-SFO before that was cancelled. I am still here In NZ trying to plan my next move. As of now I have space held on the AKL-LAX May 23rd as it looks like hopefully ill be able to get up to Auckland by then. Right now I cant. From there Im thinking it makes more sense to fly AKL-LAX-MIA then trying to go via South America.
LondonElite likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, Qantas told me I would be denied boarding as would the friends of mine. US citizens flying NZ-AUS-USA all the way through.

We got them home on AKL-SFO before that was cancelled. I am still here In NZ trying to plan my next move. As of now I have space held on the AKL-LAX May 23rd as it looks like hopefully ill be able to get up to Auckland by then. Right now I cant. From there I'm thinking it makes more sense to fly AKL-LAX-MIA then trying to go via South America.
Thanks for the reply. A lot could change between now and 23 May (36 days)

Given the COVID-19 death rates per million of population far safer in NZ
https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/t...ear=2020-04-16
USA 93.61 per million. NY state is closer to a magnitude higher (~750?)
NZ 1.87 per million
https://google.com/covid19-map/?hl=en
Old Apr 16, 2020, 7:25 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Yeah, I'm hoping to get a one off charter evacuation flight that will get me to Doha on the wrong day for an efficient connection.

The ​​​​​​QR flights arrive in SYD at around 1800 and NZ flights to AKL leave around noon and only three days a week so would need at least a ~18 transit in a best case scenario anyway.
There are no MEL-AKL flights operating presently so you'd have a MEL-SYD-AKL routing. 65 hour transit in SYD sounds like high risk for getting stranded. Fwiw, QR is selling DOH-SYD-AKL tickets with 15 hour connection in SYD but only J available at $9k fare one-way, seems to be available most days in April/May.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by number_6
There are no MEL-AKL flights operating presently .....
Air NZ seems to be operating a few days a week Saturday & Monday . NZ124 12:10 - 17:45
Sample Saturday 25 April seat only NZ$558. [~$200 more than before]. PE NZ$547 (cheaper)
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ANZ124
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/nz124
Old Apr 17, 2020, 1:23 am

As of now I have space held on the AKL-LAX May 23rd as it looks like hopefully ill be able to get up to Auckland by then. Right now I cant. From there Im thinking it makes more sense to fly AKL-LAX-MIA then trying to go via South America.
Why can't you get to Auckland? I thought they were allowing domestic travel if you need it for an international connection now.
Mwenenzi likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 1:30 am

Originally Posted by number_6
There are no MEL-AKL flights operating presently so you'd have a MEL-SYD-AKL routing. 65 hour transit in SYD sounds like high risk for getting stranded. Fwiw, QR is selling DOH-SYD-AKL tickets with 15 hour connection in SYD but only J available at $9k fare one-way, seems to be available most days in April/May.
The DOH-SYD-AKL still requires an overnight stay in SYD.

My problem is if I depart DOH the same day I arrive in DOH, I get to SYD on a Thursday evening and the next flight to Auckland isn't till Saturday morning. So it's a choice between an extra 24 hours transit in DOH or an extra 24 hours in SYD.

If I do a longer transit in DOH and the Saturday SYD-AKL is cancelled, the next one is Tuesday so I'd be stranded either way.

Last edited by ps107; Apr 17, 2020 at 9:30 am
Old Apr 17, 2020, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Why can't you get to Auckland? I thought they were allowing domestic travel if you need it for an international connection now.
There are no flights from Queenstown to Auckland.
ps107 likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by bensyd

Stay safe!
I've got my NSW Quarantine Exemption letter - the process involves emailing someone and it was approved within 24 hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.