Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 27, 2020, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Australian Government links
AU Govt (03 Jul 2022)-->All COVID-19 border restrictions to be lifted

The AU federal and state govt web sites are the *only* source of information.
Links smartraveller.gov.au
Update to new measures for return to Australia
COVID-19: Re-entry and quarantine measures

In addition State/territory authority may be needed.
What is in effect at any time can be hard to determine. Can change at short notice.

AU (Federal) Minister of Health
AU Department of Health Australian National Cabinet press releases
Print Wikipost

Australia’s response to Covid-19 [general border control thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2020, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Hmmm. Not sure I'd want to build a national budget assuming availability/inavailability of a vaccine...

David
Old Oct 8, 2020, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by DELee
Hmmm. Not sure I'd want to build a national budget assuming availability/inavailability of a vaccine...

David
They don't. They make a tonne of assumptions about everything from covid vaccines to the price of thermal coal and then input those assumptions into their model to develop an economic forecast. From the forecast they estimate tax reciepts and spending to arrive at where the budget will land – essentially how big the deficit will be – out to 2024. If there is no vaccine by the end of next year then the budget outcome will be different to what is forecast, if there is a vaccine available early next year then again the budget outcome will be different to what is estimated. The government usually makes fairly optimistic assumptions, but that time line doesn't seem like it's overly optimistic.
Mwenenzi and CPMaverick like this.

Last edited by bensyd; Oct 8, 2020 at 11:59 pm
Old Oct 14, 2020, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

15 Oct 2020 (abc.net.au)---> Howard Springs coronavirus quarantine facility to be expanded in bid to get more Australians home
Key points:
  • The Howard Springs facility could begin taking people as early as this month
  • Commercial and charter flights will fly direct to the RAAF Base in Darwin
  • 29,100 Australians overseas have told DFAT they want to come home
<snip>

Thousands more Australians stranded overseas will be able to get home sooner under an expansion of quarantine processing in Darwin.The ABC understands the Howard Springs Facility, 25 kilometres south of Darwin, will process about 1,000 international returnees a month on a fortnightly rotation of 500, beginning within weeks.

A mix of commercial and charter flights will fly direct to the RAAF Base Darwin, with passengers immediately taken to Howard Springs for 14 days' mandatory quarantine.

It is understood there will be eight flights, run by Qantas, starting as early as next week — four from London and four from India.

Flights from London will cost $2,000 per person while flights from India are expected to be less, at around $1,000.

The flights will be underwritten by the Federal Government.

People will be flown back on Qantas Dreamliners which will carry 200 passengers per trip.
<snip>
To meet increased medical requirements for the Howard Springs centre, extra doctors, nurses and other staff will be hired from across Australia to boost the surge capacity of the Darwin-based National Critical Care and Trauma Response Centre.

It is expected returnees will have to pay for their stay at Howard Springs. Those unable to pay will be offered HECS-style loans.

Under current arrangements for domestic quarantine at Howard Springs, individuals pay $2,500 each and families of two or more pay $5,000.
<snip>
3-4 Star is will not be, unlike the state organised/funded hotel isolation.
Hopefully will put pressure on the very expensive commercial flights into Australia. (QR, EK etc)
How people will get from DRW to where ever in Australia is not stated or who pays. Extra or in the $2000 price?

Edit
NT Gov --> https://coronavirus.nt.gov.au/travel...sed-quarantine

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-10-...virus/12766352
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Oct 14, 2020 at 9:33 pm
Old Oct 14, 2020, 9:13 pm

Programs: QF WP
3-4 Star is will not be, unlike the state organised/funded hotel isolation.
Hopefully will out pressure on the very expensive commercial flights into Australia.
How people will get from DRW to where ever in Australia not stated and at whose cost.
It’s actually not that bad and has some definite upsides to hotel quarantine- namely being free to move around within a block outside, an hour a day of more unrestricted (masked) exercise, swimming pool access, free wifi, etc

main complaints seem to be the food (although people can have woolies orders delivered) and lack of alcohol (prohibited)

several of my staff have gone through it returning from southern states and have remarked that it’s better than hotel quarantine
Mwenenzi likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nancypants
It’s actually not that bad and has some definite upsides to hotel quarantine- namely being free to move around within a block outside, an hour a day of more unrestricted (masked) exercise, swimming pool access, free wifi, etc

Main complaints seem to be the food (although people can have woolies orders delivered) and lack of alcohol (prohibited)

Several of my staff have gone through it returning from southern states and have remarked that it’s better than hotel quarantine
But will people be able to mix with others? {defeats intent of isolation]
Or is a plane isolated together as a "bubble"
Old Oct 14, 2020, 9:51 pm

Why can't they send some of us to Rottnest Island -Howard Springs coming into summer does not appeal!
Maybe not - quokkas might be susceptible to Covid
Old Oct 15, 2020, 3:23 am

But will people be able to mix with others? {defeats intent of isolation]
Or is a plane isolated together as a "bubble"
indeed it is a plane load being isolated in a section as a bubble
Old Oct 21, 2020, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

20 Oct 2020 (abc.net.au)----> Family prepares to fly home to Australia as repatriation flights from London begin
The first group of Australians to return home on specially chartered Qantas flights will finally be leaving London later today. The flight is the first of eight, which have been chartered to repatriate about 5,000 Australians now stranded in Europe, India and South Africa.

But a total of about 32,000 Australians that want to return home are believed to still be stranded overseas.

Madeline Curtis, who is scheduled to be on the first flight, said she is just waiting to overcome one last hurdle. "We're still actually waiting last minute for the results of the COVID test."

The Qantas 787 leaving London's Heathrow airport on Thursday, London time, will carry 175 passengers to Darwin.

Ms Curtis will be travelling with her husband Noam and their six-month-old baby, Benji, if their test results come back negative. "We're super excited," she told Fran Kelly on RN Breakfast. "We've been trying to get home for a couple of months now. The flight should land in Darwin on Friday and passengers will then isolate at the new Howard Springs facility before returning to the community.

People in the UK who have been identified as "vulnerable" by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) have been prioritised for the flight.
<snip>
ABC should read the news. QF have retired the B747 shown on the web site link

Edit
23 Oct 2020 (abc.net.au)----> Qantas flight carrying Australians stranded overseas due to coronavirus arrives in Darwin from London

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Oct 22, 2020 at 10:52 pm
Old Oct 22, 2020, 2:55 am

I have been offered a role managing isolation at Howard springs- they are talking about up to 3000 capacity (obvs that makes 3000 per 2 weeks plus whatever is still coming out of Victoria to the NT)- just to give an idea of numbers
Old Oct 22, 2020, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

23 Oct 2020 (news.com.au)[State border except WA]---> Coronavirus Australia live: Borders to be reopened by Christmas
<snip>
International arrival caps to be increased
The prime minister said National Cabinet had also agreed to increase the cap on international arrivals.

Western Australia will accept an additional 140 passengers a month from November and Queensland will accept an additional 150 Aussies.
South Australia and the ACT have also agreed to ongoing support.
Tasmania has also offered to take overseas Aussies but does not have an international airport.

"If we needed to stand that up in order to achieve what we have set out then we will certainly do that. (Tasmania) is our first stand-by option. I want to think Premier Peter Guitman for working with us to achieve that," Mr Morrison said.

"It will be similar to what we have done in the Northern Territory."
<snip>
For a short time Hobart had international flight from NZ
percysmith likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2020, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

This has been mentioned before, but without a time line
More isolation will be welcomed by many trying to get back to Australia
02 Nov 2020 (ExecTrav AU)---> Melbourne set to resume international flights later this month
International flights into and out of Melbourne are expected to restart later this month, in a move which will also ease the capacity constraints on Australians returning home from overseas.
<snip>
Melbourne Airport is nominally the country's second-busiest gateway, and the extended closure put pressure on other states – primarily New South Wales – to shoulder the load of 14 days in hotel quarantine under the federal government's cap on arriving passengers.

That currently sits at just shy of 6,300 passengers per week, with Sydney taking in 2,950 passengers per week, followed by around 1,000 each at Brisbane and Perth, and 600 at Adelaide.

Darwin was recently added to the list, hosting the return leg of Qantas flights from London and India with a dedicated quarantine hub for arriving passengers.
<snip>
Old Nov 2, 2020, 2:04 pm

The NT is also looking at opening up dedicated hotel quarantine spaces (supervised by health and police ?AFP or NTPS, unclear as yet- we don’t exactly have police to spare)
Old Nov 2, 2020, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by nancypants
The NT is also looking at opening up dedicated hotel quarantine spaces (supervised by health and police ?AFP or NTPS, unclear as yet- we don’t exactly have police to spare)
Hopefully now that idiot in Brisbane has won her election and had her VFL grand final she'll open up more spaces in Qld hotel quarantine.
Old Nov 3, 2020, 6:13 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
I desperately want to visit my parents in Melbourne - where can I find reliable information or discussion on available tickets, up to date quarantine, etc? I am waiting for Melb flights to resume, and I hope they will allow supervised home quarantine or something.
(Obviously I can look for tickets, but I don't want to get bumped after making all the arrangements.... or when I am in transit somewhere like HKG, or China or the Gulf States.

Last edited by sabbasolo; Nov 3, 2020 at 6:22 am
Old Nov 3, 2020, 6:57 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by sabbasolo
I desperately want to visit my parents in Melbourne - where can I find reliable information or discussion on available tickets, up to date quarantine, etc? I am waiting for Melb flights to resume, and I hope they will allow supervised home quarantine or something.
Home quarantine will most definitely NOT be an option.

If you are an AU citizen, then you can travel to Australia. But you will serve a mandatory 14 day quarantine in a government facility. There will not be any other option for you in the forseeable future.

As far as tickets go, what you see for sale is what you get. There have been no widespread reports of flight cancellations or bumpings between the US and Australia, so if you book a direct from US->AU, you'll likely fly. If you are flying from elsewhere, it may be a bit more risky, but I think they've sorted out most of the issues with this.
Mwenenzi likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.