Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 27, 2020, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Australian Government links
AU Govt (03 Jul 2022)-->All COVID-19 border restrictions to be lifted

The AU federal and state govt web sites are the *only* source of information.
Links smartraveller.gov.au
Update to new measures for return to Australia
COVID-19: Re-entry and quarantine measures

In addition State/territory authority may be needed.
What is in effect at any time can be hard to determine. Can change at short notice.

AU (Federal) Minister of Health
AU Department of Health Australian National Cabinet press releases
Print Wikipost

Australia’s response to Covid-19 [general border control thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2020, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Buying a seat for next week will be a different proposition to buying a seat for next month. All the trans Pacific aircraft are wide body:- 100's of seats
Do a test ticket check for your friend. Air NZ LAX-AKL-AU is another possible option
But getting the AU visa is the hard part.
They definitely won't buy a ticket until they get the travel exemption. They definitely won't be allowed to board before then is my understanding. If they do, then it's either finding the smallest plane in Y even if it means flying in via Europe, or trying to see just how outrageous J prices will be.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Smiley90
They definitely won't buy a ticket until they get the travel exemption. They definitely won't be allowed to board before then is my understanding. If they do, then it's either finding the smallest plane in Y even if it means flying in via Europe, or trying to see just how outrageous J prices will be.
I think you're overthinking it. If you have a look at the article I quoted the airlines are well aware of what the capacity limits are and are not selling hundreds of seats on a flight where they have been told only 30 pax will be permitted to board. Where they cannot accomodate pax they are re-routing them/putting them on a flight at a later date.

If they are taking your money it's because they intend to transport you on the date you have booked. To reiterate, they are well aware of the capacity constraints and would be selling seats on that basis.
Mwenenzi and CPMaverick like this.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by bensyd
I think you're overthinking it. If you have a look at the article I quoted the airlines are well aware of what the capacity limits are and are not selling hundreds of seats on a flight where they have been told only 30 pax will be permitted to board. Where they cannot accomodate pax they are re-routing them/putting them on a flight at a later date.

If they are taking your money it's because they intend to transport you on the date you have booked. To reiterate, they are well aware of the capacity constraints and would be selling seats on that basis.
I think the worry is that they can only afford a Y ticket and don't want to buy one only to be kicked off later because the airline managed to sell 50 J tickets instead.
Debbieann likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Smiley90
I think the worry is that they can only afford a Y ticket and don't want to buy one only to be kicked off later because the airline managed to sell 50 J tickets instead.
As above you are over thinking this. If a seat is bought extremely likely will fly. At the worst maybe the next flight.
All these aircraft are big:- B777, B787, etc type. Plenty of Y seats and cargo capacity. No airline is flying A380. Air NZ fly the A320 for some NZ<---->AU flights, but B787 on the long hauls. On the long haul routes cargo is big business and profitable (rates/kg have increased a lot).
To get a feel of a economy seat price do a test for a seat in a few months time, as above. The transit requirements may also come into play.
The daily limit is about the 14 day hotel requirement capacity. But the government-airlines really do not know how many rooms are needed (couples - families).
I also note you now state " they" . So more than 1 person?

Edit
Getting a little off topic for this thread
I looked on DL LAX-SYD one way for Wednesday 16 Sept (random date)
On the seat map many seats are blocked
Main(L) $773
Comfort Plus (S) $852
Premium Select (A) $1948 {maybe premium economy??}
DeltaOne Suites (D) $5901 [1 only seat available] {business class}

Close in, the next DL seat available is Friday 5 Aug (13 days away)
economy (B) $3994 one way (Yep~ 4 thou) 3 seats left
DeltaOne Suite (D) $7951 one way (Yep~ 8 thou) 1 seats left

Refundable seats always cost more

They will only sell the total number of seats the AU government allows them to
Many airlines have good award availability
bensyd and CPMaverick like this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jul 23, 2020 at 1:59 am
Old Jul 23, 2020, 8:52 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I am a dual AU/US citizen, previous resident of AU, and this is my summary of how I left Australia (pasted from elsewhere as advice on what to do, so the wording may be a bit strange):

I flew on a single Delta ticket, MEL-SYD on VA, overnight layover in SYD, then on to LAX on 13 July. An overnight was required due to flight timing, the Delta 9:30a departure has no flights that can arrive in time to make it (and as it turned out, you need a lot of extra time nowadays).

You need a border declaration permit from Border NSW to fly from MEL-SYD as the NSW border is closed without one. I selected the category "Interstate resident transiting through NSW". I booked a room at the Rydges Sydney International airport, and I used that as my address (since I had no address here any more) This was approved automatically.

Flying MEL-SYD, after checking in with the airline you have to fill out another form, pass a health screening and show your exemption before going through security to the terminal. Keep all your paperwork from this.

After landing in SYD domestic there is an army of health workers to again screen passengers and do a more in-depth interview. You do this interview twice (I guess for redundancy). I had to prove where I had been staying before I left MEL, explain my situation, and again show permits. You must explain where you will be going, show hotel reservations, etc. I suggest hard copies of everything.

Before they release you, you are told a taxi/uber is the only acceptable transit option (no PT for example). You must sit in the back seat with a mask and with the windows down. When you arrive to your hotel, after check-in you must quarantine for 14 days or you can depart for a flight. Again you can only take a taxi/Uber to the airport same process. This quarantine is not enforced but will be spot checked.

Even for a short layover in SYD, you cannot stay airside between the domestic and international terminals, so the process would be the same. Except you would just taxi directly to the international terminal, and your bags may automatically transfer.

I was required to pick up my luggage before getting a taxi to the hotel. I would suggest a taxi rather than an Uber, because the taxi drivers & taxi rank understand what is going on.

I stayed at the Rydges SYD airport and I suggest this as then you can walk into the international terminal in the morning. You can't leave the hotel room otherwise but they have 24/7 room service. I found the service pretty dodgy but the location was worth it.

When you leave the hotel, you go directly to check-in area A where Border Force is located. They will give you your official exemption paperwork. If you are not an Australian resident then you just need to prove this to them. Otherwise you need to have already applied for an exemption for Australian citizens/residents and they will confirm this. Then you can check in for your international flight.

My situation was that I applied for an personal business exemption 2.5 weeks earlier, but had no response. I called Home Affairs on Thursday before my Monday SYD-LAX flight and they 'escalated' my request. On Friday afternoon I called again, and they said it is already escalated, that's all they can do. The phone hours would not reopen until 9am Monday before my 9:30a flight. So I was worried about missing my flight and being stuck at SYD airport for a long time. So on Monday at 6am, I walked to the Border Force and asked them about my application. After a bit of confusion, they made some calls and really went to bat for me. They got me a commissioner's verbal exemption to depart. I was really appreciative.

The DL40 777 had about 60 people on it. Most seemed to be Americans returning home. I have no intention of returning Australia until travel restrictions are lifted.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Thanks for that, CPMaverick
Old Aug 6, 2020, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

National Cabinet meeting today confirmed no change in the arrivals caps for now.

Australia's caps on international arrivals will remain in place for now, Prime Minister Scott Morrison has said.

Mr Morrison said national cabinet had agreed at their meeting today it was important for the caps to stay in place.

The Prime Minister thanked hospitality and hotel staff for their work in hotel quarantine, particularly in light of other states taking the load from Victoria.
Debbieann likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 3:42 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
National Cabinet meeting today confirmed no change in the arrivals caps for now.
Are the meetings to review caps/border opening scheduled for regular review (eg every 2 weeks say)? Or is it as and when the cabinet wants to make a decision. I would like to plan a trip for Feb/Mar but not if I'd have to take part in a lottery for capped seats or the need to quarantine still. Seeing some good pricing at that time.

To be honest I expect that at least the quarantine will still be in place for most of early next year, but I can dream! Main objective is to see elderly relatives and other family and friends.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dddc
Are the meetings to review caps/border opening scheduled for regular review (eg every 2 weeks say)? Or is it as and when the cabinet wants to make a decision. I would like to plan a trip for Feb/Mar but not if I'd have to take part in a lottery for capped seats or the need to quarantine still. Seeing some good pricing at that time.

To be honest I expect that at least the quarantine will still be in place for most of early next year, but I can dream! Main objective is to see elderly relatives and other family and friends.
I think you're dreaming if you think quarantine or the general border restrictions will be gone by Feb/March next year. The CMO has said the border will stay closed for the next 12-18 months or at least until there is a vaccine. If there is no vaccine then it'll be Plan B, which at this point is firmly in the TBA column, at least for the public.

The border restrictions etc have widespread popular support, I'm talking like 90%+ (NB: how popular state border controls are right now) so it's remote that the government has a change of heart. Although I do think some of the outbound travel restrictions will be lifted before the timeframe above.

It's not a great state of affairs, but it is what it is, and I do support it. I empathise because my elderly father lives in the Caribbean and I usually get over there a couple of times a year to visit but I won't be for at least another year. Zoom just ain't the same.
CPMaverick and kirkwoodj like this.

Last edited by bensyd; Aug 17, 2020 at 6:44 am
Old Aug 17, 2020, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It seems as though a few of the backbenchers are starting to get restless over elements of the border closure. The most contentious seems to be the ban on outbound travel* and the number of Australians stuck overseas waiting for flights. The latter has come into sharp relief because South Australia wants to start allowing international students back in next month.

*FWIW, that was introduced before the mandatory hotel quarantine system was introduced and the ban was largely to stop Australians travelling overseas on holiday and then not self-isolating upon their return. See: The Aspen incident

Coalition MPs want the caps on international arrivals increased and a robust national system of quarantine set up so more Australians stuck overseas can come home.

Australians were banned on March 24 from travelling overseas except in limited circumstances and there are tight caps on the number of arrivals into the country each week amid concerns about coronavirus and the capability of the state-run hotel quarantine schemes.
But there is unrest about the strictness of the measures, with politicians hearing daily from people either stranded overseas or seeking help to leave the country.

The federal government is blocking three in four applications from Australians wanting to travel overseas. At the same time, South Australia has the green light to restart international students coming into the country.

Nationals senator Bridget McKenzie sees that as an attempt to safely keep Australians working, similar to plans for migrant fruit pickers to help with the mango harvest. But she's worried the states aren't up to running the necessary quarantine regime.

Senator McKenzie also wants to see the cap on international arrivals lifted.

Fewer than 4000 people are allowed to arrive in the country each week. National cabinet has put these rules in place until October 24.

Queensland MP Andrew Laming wants the arrivals cap regularly reviewed and the 14-day quarantine system used more broadly, including to reunite families of temporary residents.

He says most states aren't facing the same strains they were a month ago when the arrival limits were tightened and it only let in a fraction of the people who needed to travel.

"The new normal is putting up quarantine for literally thousands of people a week and while our hotels are doing absolutely no tourism trade, they should be absolutely full with quarantine trade," he said.
https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fede...17-p55mif.html

Looking at the rates of infection etc the quarantine system could probably take much higher numbers of people returning from most of Europe and East Asia without overburdening it. Those regions have things reasonably under control and returning travellers would be much less likely to be carrying the virus. From what I've been told anecdotally, the high infection rate for those in quarantine (it was over 3% at one point) was being driven by returning travellers from the Americas and South Asia.

In other positive news, NSW seems to have broken the back of the outbreak that came up from Victoria. Case numbers have been declining and there was only two cases today in NSW. It's very unlikely at this point that NSW will end up with a runaway problem like Victoria that might reduce international arrivals into SYD. Touch wood of course, never say never with this damn thing. New South Wales Health really deserve a pat on the back.

Last edited by bensyd; Aug 17, 2020 at 7:42 pm
Old Aug 17, 2020, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
In other positive news, NSW seems to have broken the back of the outbreak that came up from Victoria. Case numbers have been declining and there was only two cases today in NSW. It's very unlikely at this point that NSW will end up with a runaway problem like Victoria that might reduce international arrivals into SYD. Touch wood of course, never say never with this damn thing. New South Wales Health really deserve a pat on the back.
Perhaps. The problem is that positive tests and confirmed cases are lagging indicators of CV-19 spread.

Short of folks taking the spread seriously, quite likely the yo-yo effect will happen again. And again.

David
Old Aug 18, 2020, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DELee
Short of folks taking the spread seriously, quite likely the yo-yo effect will happen again. And again.
NSW had it down to zero, Sydney had gone weeks without a case but the Victorian situation seeded a new outbreak before the border was closed. That outbreak appears under control and is winding back down. It may not get to zero but it'll get pretty close. Most people are taking it seriously.
Old Aug 18, 2020, 8:00 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Looking at the rates of infection etc the quarantine system could probably take much higher numbers of people returning from most of Europe and East Asia without overburdening it. Those regions have things reasonably under control and returning travellers would be much less likely to be carrying the virus. From what I've been told anecdotally, the high infection rate for those in quarantine (it was over 3% at one point) was being driven by returning travellers from the Americas and South Asia.
The caps on arrivals isn't just about numbers of infected arrival, but also the capacity of managed isolation and quarantine facilities and the ability of the system to process throughput. Unless standards are weakened (e.g. allowing residents to self-isolate at home) there will always be a need to limit the numbers of arrivals. NZ has the same problem, for the same reasons.
Old Aug 18, 2020, 1:22 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by DELee
Perhaps. The problem is that positive tests and confirmed cases are lagging indicators of CV-19 spread.
Yes, but if those numbers are in decline, that's still a good sign. Which they are.

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
The caps on arrivals isn't just about numbers of infected arrival, but also the capacity of managed isolation and quarantine facilities and the ability of the system to process throughput. Unless standards are weakened (e.g. allowing residents to self-isolate at home) there will always be a need to limit the numbers of arrivals. NZ has the same problem, for the same reasons.
You can increase quarantine capacity without weaking standards, given enough time to do so.

However the more quarantine capacity, the greater chance of it creating a new outbreak. As no quarantine can be risk-free. I think that is driving the numbers moreso than standards or capacity.
Old Aug 18, 2020, 1:29 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
I think you're dreaming if you think quarantine or the general border restrictions will be gone by Feb/March next year. The CMO has said the border will stay closed for the next 12-18 months or at least until there is a vaccine. If there is no vaccine then it'll be Plan B, which at this point is firmly in the TBA column, at least for the public.

The border restrictions etc have widespread popular support, I'm talking like 90%+ (NB: how popular state border controls are right now) so it's remote that the government has a change of heart. Although I do think some of the outbound travel restrictions will be lifted before the timeframe above.

It's not a great state of affairs, but it is what it is, and I do support it. I empathise because my elderly father lives in the Caribbean and I usually get over there a couple of times a year to visit but I won't be for at least another year. Zoom just ain't the same.
Yeah, I thought I had Buckley's of getting in for a while, but the article here in the Guardian looks like people have to contend with the whims of the airlines choosing who to let on the plane, it the most commercially viable so Y pax aren't getting on in general. Interesting different approaches though. I think the UK gov't of BoJo the Clown and his 1 ring circus are going for the minimum transmissions in the community approach to keep the economy going. Euro nations dependent on tourism have let people travel. Australia and NZ can close off borders far more easily. Both have some risk as we don't know if you have it if you can get it again and if/when a vaccine will be ready. Looks like more staycations and Zoom calls ahead....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.