Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 27, 2020, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Australian Government links
AU Govt (03 Jul 2022)-->All COVID-19 border restrictions to be lifted

The AU federal and state govt web sites are the *only* source of information.
Links smartraveller.gov.au
Update to new measures for return to Australia
COVID-19: Re-entry and quarantine measures

In addition State/territory authority may be needed.
What is in effect at any time can be hard to determine. Can change at short notice.

AU (Federal) Minister of Health
AU Department of Health Australian National Cabinet press releases
Print Wikipost

Australia’s response to Covid-19 [general border control thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2021, 6:01 pm

Programs: QF WP
The Australian immunisation register obviously heard me complaining about it as it’s now down country wide (yay!)
Old Aug 5, 2021, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nancypants
The Australian immunisation register obviously heard me complaining about it as it’s now down country wide (yay!)
So vaccinations stop? Or data entered later?
https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au...ation-register
Old Aug 5, 2021, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
The states do not want them to come in (for a visit - short time). This new requirement is very indirect blunt way of suppressing inward travel.
Will be interesting if this flow on to the TT bubble.
Fair point.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 6:51 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by A1pax
Our story: We got both jabs in London, back in Sydney 6 weeks now (after serving the 14 days in prison hotel). We emailed our jab records from NHS England to our GP office asking them to add them to the Australian Immunisation Register (AIR). I checked yesterday - had to link medicare to mygov first. Well, my vax records were there - but hubby's records were not. Not sure why? So, have emailed GP office again to ask them - no reply yet!
if you’re getting no joy, I’ve worked out how to put overseas ones on this morning

So vaccinations stop? Or data entered later?
https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au...ation-register
problem is you need to be able to confirm the first dose, which drug and timeframe. So my booked appointments I’ve kept doing but walk ins who had their doses elsewhere and don’t have any documentation on them of when they had their first I’ve had to send away
Mwenenzi likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by nancypants
if you’re getting no joy, I’ve worked out how to put overseas ones on this morning
👍 Good to hear. If I have no joy with the GP office, then I will need your method. Will let you know after I receive a reply from the GP office. Strange that my records were there, but not hubby's.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 8:50 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
The states do not want them to come in (for a visit - short time). This new requirement is very indirect blunt way of suppressing inward travel.
Will be interesting if this flow on to the TT bubble.

Edit
C9 Overseas-based Aussies' travel exemption stripped in latest crackdown
In effect this means overseas Australians like me have to apply for pre-approval to return to my overseas place of residence before leaving that place of residence for Australia.
And find an airline seat and do double quarantine in Aus and back. My brother and his family better stay healthy...
Old Aug 5, 2021, 11:27 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Originally Posted by percysmith
In effect this means overseas Australians like me have to apply for pre-approval to return to my overseas place of residence before leaving that place of residence for Australia.
And find an airline seat and do double quarantine in Aus and back. My brother and his family better stay healthy...
Same here. I can't believe the garbage these morons keep coming up with. It's completely absurd the crap they keep coming up with. Time for some accountability. And like you glad that my family there is healthy and I don't have to anticipate making any sort of emergency trips there any time soon.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 12:44 am

Assuming it's not any harder to get an outbound exemption for "ordinarily resident overseas" online vs previously at the airport, this is potentially a better workflow for all - having done the in-person airport route before, Border Force always seem very grumpy, hate doing the process and don't fully recognise what I would expect are common documents when you show them (EU residence permit cards), and airlines hate it because they can't properly check you in and need to call the Border Force ops desk in Canberra to finish the process for each passenger who did an on-the-spot approval.

Might be my positive outlook as a way of streamlining the airport flow, and there is something more sinister in mind with the switch...
Old Aug 6, 2021, 2:01 am

Info is now up with what documents are needed for an exemption - https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/l...ustralia#toc-8

Seems relatively straightforward - foreign visa, employment contract and lease agreement/utility bills.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 3:55 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by drivingforce
Info is now up with what documents are needed for an exemption - https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/l...ustralia#toc-8

Seems relatively straightforward - foreign visa, employment contract and lease agreement/utility bills.
Thanks for sharing. Two observations my mates and I already have:

1. A returning Aus citizen does not need to state reason for coming back to Aus in order to be allowed to leave again.

2. Stat Dec requirement seems to apply to Aus residents, not Aus citizens overseas returning to Aus applying to leave again.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 9:07 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
Thanks for sharing. Two observations my mates and I already have:

1. A returning Aus citizen does not need to state reason for coming back to Aus in order to be allowed to leave again.
You need to give a compelling reason why you should be allowed to leave.

2. Stat Dec requirement seems to apply to Aus residents, not Aus citizens overseas returning to Aus applying to leave again.
Oh yes it does. From 11 August, the only permitted reasons are:
  • Response to the COVID-19 outbreak, including the provision of aid
  • Travelling for business
  • Receiving urgent medical treatment that is not available in Australia
  • Urgent and unavoidable personal business
  • Compassionate and compelling grounds
  • Travel is in Australia's national interest
  • Travelling overseas for a compelling reason for at least three months
The last of these is what's applicable to those ordinarily resident abroad. Once you select this option in the Travel Exemption Portal, the following text appears:
"Evidence required for people travelling for a compelling reason for more than three months has changed. See: https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/leaving-australia
Requests without all required evidence, including a Commonwealth Statutory Declaration, will not be approved.

Your Commonwealth Statutory Declaration must contain the following information:
- a formal statement that you are making an application for a travel exemption on the basis that you intend to be away from Australia for at least three months; AND
- the reason for your travel."
Old Aug 6, 2021, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by tom tulpe
The last of these is what's applicable to those ordinarily resident abroad.
I don't believe that's the case. Residing abroad is a different category to travel for >3 months. The issue seems to be that the approval website hasn't been updated for the recent changes, and still explicitly states :

Australian citizens and permanent residents do not need to apply for an exemption if the following circumstances apply:
people ordinarily resident in a country other than Australia
As a result of it not being updated, there is no "Residing abroad" option on the "Purpose for travel" list - as such people (according to this website) don't need approval.

The leaving Australia requirements page does NOT list a stat dec as being required for foreign residents, but instead requires things like a foreign drivers license, rental agreement/utility bills, or work details - as opposed to travel for >3 months where it DOES state that one is required.

I'm presuming they are now requiring this pre-approval simply to streamline the process at the airport. When I departed Australia a few months ago, the airline check-in staff had to manually call someone to get an approval/override code before they were allowed check me in - from what I've been told the person they called would have checked my immigration record to confirm that I had only been in the country temporarily (implying I resided elsewhere). Having this automated, as it already is for most travelers, would be a benefit.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by docbert
I don't believe that's the case. Residing abroad is a different category to travel for >3 months. The issue seems to be that the approval website hasn't been updated for the recent changes, and still explicitly states :
Yeah, I think you're right. As stupid as this new requirement is they are not going to deny people who can demonstrate they're not resident in Australia permission to leave.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

07 Aug 2021 (abc.net.au)---->Howard Springs quarantine facility expected to reach capacity for overseas arrivals for the first time
Key points:
  • Health Minister Greg Hunt says the Howard Springs quarantine facility will reach full capacity for international arrivals this month
  • Dozens of repatriation flights are scheduled to touch down in Darwin in August
  • NT Health says it's confident the facility will be able to cope with the demand

The ABC understands the Howard Springs quarantine facility in the Northern Territory is set to reach full capacity for international arrivals for the first time, as the number of repatriation flights surges this month.
Key points:

Health Minister Greg Hunt says the Howard Springs quarantine facility will reach full capacity for international arrivals this month. Dozens of repatriation flights are scheduled to touch down in Darwin in August. NT Health says it's confident the facility will be able to cope with the demand.

Federal Health Minister Greg Hunt has told Parliament the facility would reach capacity for repatriated Australians in the coming weeks. "The 2,000 capacity [limit] will be reached in Howard Springs on the 13, 22 and 31 August," he said. Earlier this year, quarantine capacity at the centre was expanded from 850 people a fortnight to 2,000, under an agreement between the Commonwealth and the NT government.
<snip>
More than 11,000 international arrivals have undertaken quarantine at the facility since repatriation flights to the NT began in October last year.
<snip>
In July, National Cabinet agreed to halve the number of international arrivals on commercial flights allowed into Australia to 3,035 people a week, in response to the more infectious Delta variant.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison said instead the Commonwealth would increase the number of repatriation flights into the Howard Springs facility. That plan is now in action, with 18 government-facilitated flights scheduled this month. Among them are flights from New Delhi, London, Denpasar, Frankfurt and Johannesburg. This week, a London repatriation flight with about 180 people onboard touched down in Darwin, as well as more than 100 Australian Olympic team members who arrived on a charter flight from Tokyo, before being bussed to Howard Springs. They were among the first international arrivals to be screened in a newly constructed COVID-safe area of Darwin International Airport (DIA), which would enable up to 600 more passengers to be processed a fortnight. Another flight carrying about 80 Olympians is due to land at DIA next Monday.
<snip>

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Aug 6, 2021 at 6:37 pm
Old Aug 6, 2021, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
2,000 people at a time, so that's maybe 900 a week (allowing time to clean/etc between departure and arrival). In other words, less than 1/3 of the number of people they stopped coming with the recent reductions in quotas. And this is a win?

I'm just wondering what the story is going to be when Howard Springs eventually has a leak. Realistically, with enough people passing through it's going to happen - even if the odds are going to be reduced now days due to most arrivals being vaccinated. Will that be an indication that hotel quarantine works just as well, and they should increase the numbers? Or will they take it as a sign that they need to cut numbers even further... My money is on the latter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.