Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 27, 2020, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Australian Government links
AU Govt (03 Jul 2022)-->All COVID-19 border restrictions to be lifted

The AU federal and state govt web sites are the *only* source of information.
Links smartraveller.gov.au
Update to new measures for return to Australia
COVID-19: Re-entry and quarantine measures

In addition State/territory authority may be needed.
What is in effect at any time can be hard to determine. Can change at short notice.

AU (Federal) Minister of Health
AU Department of Health Australian National Cabinet press releases
Print Wikipost

Australia’s response to Covid-19 [general border control thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2021, 4:22 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
The AU fed govt has nothing to do with the price of flights. The price is set by the airlines. The price of flights does vary. Each flight has a quota of about 30 pax, based on the available state government quarantine slots.
It depends who holds the quotas. In Aus it's the airlines auctioning the quota. In HK it's the authorised hotels.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 9:10 am

Programs: UA 1K
any recent data points on australian citizens being granted permission to leave the country, and specifically what constitutes a compelling reason for trips over 3 months?? I'm working under the assumption that "sitting out the rest of the pandemic with my son in the US" will not be considered a compelling reason for my parents?
Old Jun 26, 2021, 10:03 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
For all that, as I have posted before, the NZ system of booking a quarantine slot independent of the flight is better.
"Better" for who?

There are flights from the US to Australia available for travel tonight for just over US$2000. There are flights available from Europe (UK and France being the two I checked) within the next few days for under A$1400. There are currently no hotel reservations currently available in NZ for the next >4 months.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 1:39 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by docbert
"Better" for who?

There are flights from the US to Australia available for travel tonight for just over US$2000. There are flights available from Europe (UK and France being the two I checked) within the next few days for under A$1400. There are currently no hotel reservations currently available in NZ for the next >4 months.
I think it's better for those that can plan ahead and don't want to get bumped off their flight at the last second. Definitely more certainty with the NZ method.

However bumping hasn't been that bad for US->AU flights, so for US arrivals, perhaps AU is better.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Out of date info....

Last edited by bensyd; Jun 27, 2021 at 1:23 am Reason: rules have changed
Old Jun 26, 2021, 5:25 pm

Programs: QF WP
I’m a little confused by the NZ method (my brother is getting married and while I have zero interest in going to the wedding, I figured I should at least pay lipservice to “trying”). My reading of the NZ rules was that I wasn’t admissible there other than from Australia
Old Jun 26, 2021, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by david_oz
any recent data points on australian citizens being granted permission to leave the country, and specifically what constitutes a compelling reason for trips over 3 months?? I'm working under the assumption that "sitting out the rest of the pandemic with my son in the US" will not be considered a compelling reason for my parents?
A dog park friend I have recently had to return to the UK to attend her mother’s funeral and help with her father (basically get him into a home as he suffers from dementia and the mother who passed away was the primary carer). The advice she was given was to contact her local federal member (north Sydney so Trent Zimmerman) and his staff told her to make sure when she put the request in to have the time as at least 6 weeks and once submitted to get the reference number and contact them straight away with that reference number so they could escalate it. She did that and approval came through in under an hour. Apparently if you have a local federal member who is not entirely happy with the current rules this is a very good way of getting things approved quickly.

If the trip is over 3 months my understanding is that it will be approved very quickly and easily.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Out of date info...

Last edited by bensyd; Jun 27, 2021 at 1:23 am Reason: rules have changed
Old Jun 27, 2021, 12:33 am

If you do not live in Sydney or NSW you may not be allowed to go another state.
Thank goodness, am from Sydney, so can go home after release from prison hotel, will happen to be in the middle of the lockdown. Home detention is far far better than prison hotel.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 1:32 am

Originally Posted by A1pax
Thank goodness, am from Sydney, so can go home after release from prison hotel, will happen to be in the middle of the lockdown. Home detention is far far better than prison hotel.
Make sure you stock up on hotel toilet paper before you leave because you won't find any on the supermarket shelves! In fact , request a few rolls each shift at the hotel and you can fund your quarantine fee by selling on the black market.
Mwenenzi and A1pax like this.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 1:47 am

Originally Posted by 3544quebec
Make sure you stock up on hotel toilet paper before you leave because you won't find any on the supermarket shelves! In fact , request a few rolls each shift at the hotel and you can fund your quarantine fee by selling on the black market.
🤣😂 I absolutely looove your suggestion... Will take on your toilet paper marketing scheme to fund the quarantine fee.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 8:06 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
So a 50% cut in caps on international arrivals into Australia. Not happy.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

02 Jul 2021 (abc.net.au)--->National Cabinet agrees to COVID-19 vaccine targets, halve international arrivals
Key points:
  • International arrivals will drop from 6,370 to 3,035 a week
  • Modelling is being done to work out what vaccine targets are needed
  • The government will trial letting vaccinated travellers quarantine for seven instead of 14 days
National Cabinet has agreed to halve the number of people allowed into Australia each week and to set up vaccination targets.

International arrivals will now be capped at 3,035 people a week, down from 6,370. Prime Minister Scott Morrison said that the Commonwealth, in response to this, would increase the number of repatriation flights.

He also announced the federal government would conduct a trial of a shorter seven-day quarantine period with a small number of vaccinated travellers, instead of 14 days. Mr Morrison said South Australia had flagged its willingness to work with the government on the trial.
<snip>
Before from abc.net.au
<snip>
The federal government has indicated it is open to the idea, which is being pushed by the Queensland, Victoria and West Australian governments.
Currently the weekly caps by state and territory are:
Adelaide - 530 people
Brisbane - 1,300 people
Melbourne - 1,000 people
Perth - 530 people
Sydney - 3010 people
<snip>

The (failed) States again dictate how many arrive.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 8:29 pm

He also announced the federal government would conduct a trial of a shorter seven-day quarantine period with a small number of vaccinated travellers, instead of 14 days.
Too late for us. Maybe he will refund us half of our quarantine costs or waive them altogether? Pie in the sky?
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by A1pax
Too late for us. Maybe he will refund us half of our quarantine costs or waive them altogether? Pie in the sky?
Still in quarantine?
The chances of the NSW Govt letting you free and reducing the cost are nil or less.
Would have thought NSW would have been more amenable to this vaccination vs days in quarantine. But will be more behind the AU Federal-SA deal.
( I did 14 days in AKL last year}

(news.com.au)--->Scott Morrison reveals national cabinet decision on international arrivals
“While the reduction of those caps will certainly, right across the system, obviously take some pressure off, as we have observed over the course of these past 18 months, that alone does not provide any fail safe regarding any potential breaches,” Mr Morrison said.“We have seen breaches occur, predominantly as a result of infection control procedures and human error and so on. Those issues need to continue to be strengthened.
<snip>
However, NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian — whose state takes in about half of all overseas arrivals — said reducing the weekly intake didn’t guarantee against future outbreaks. “I am disappointed for those thousands of Australians that can’t come home. We will follow the national cabinet decision and I appreciate that some members of the community in NSW will be relieved at that,” she said on Friday.
The current QLD outbreaks are own goals (like Victoria last year).
The fed's will be blamed for this reduction decision by the states (really 3 states).

Edit
NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian says new cap on international arrivals won't stop COVID outbreaks
<snip>
Ms Berejiklian today revealed she had disagreed with other states on the change. "Firstly, my heart goes out to thousands of Australians who have to wait longer to come home," she said. "Secondly, and I have expressed this view publicly, but I have also expressed it to my colleagues, the Premiers and Chief Ministers in other jurisdictions [that] just because you reduce the number of people coming in, doesn't mean outbreaks aren't going to happen."

Ms Berejiklian said NSW had been welcoming home 3,000 Australians a week "without complaint" and was "always happy to carry our fair share". "I am disappointed that every state hasn't done its fair share, but I appreciate and have to respect the decision of National Cabinet."
<snip>

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jul 2, 2021 at 2:05 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.