Old Nov 27, 2020, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Australian Government links
AU Govt (03 Jul 2022)-->All COVID-19 border restrictions to be lifted

The AU federal and state govt web sites are the *only* source of information.
Links smartraveller.gov.au
Update to new measures for return to Australia
COVID-19: Re-entry and quarantine measures

In addition State/territory authority may be needed.
What is in effect at any time can be hard to determine. Can change at short notice.

AU (Federal) Minister of Health
AU Department of Health Australian National Cabinet press releases
Print Wikipost

Australia’s response to Covid-19 [general border control thread]

Old May 30, 2021, 5:07 pm
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
Originally Posted by nancypants
not sure about elsewhere but certainly locally we have a fair amount of AZ sitting unused as people don’t want it, or are in the Pfizer age group but not called yet and the existing protocols don’t address well under 50s who don’t mind having AZ
They have had similar in Europe, where AZ has either been banned completely, banned for the under 50s or politicians (including Merkel and Macron) who have basically said it doesn't work/it's dangerous. They have heavily relied on Pfizer/Moderna and J&J has been used but not extensively, however, as we can see, they're vaccination rates are really good with many close to having 50% of the adult population getting a first dose by now.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old May 31, 2021, 1:44 am

Programs: BA Silver / SQ Sol PPS / KE & EK Nobody!
Originally Posted by HB7
I agree that it is shambolic, but if they double it to over 200k, they'll be close to what the UK is averaging on a per capita basis - even though Australia should be aiming for higher than that since they are so far behind. I know Pfizer supply is low, but what on earth is going on with CSL and they're supposed manufacture of 1 million per week AZ?

Is the government awake? If they want to avoid any more lockdowns, they really need to kick this into gear.
Exactly, but I doubt they'll be able to. Hesitancy and a purported lack of need to get vaccinated is holding back the programme immensely. Heaps of folks are sitting on their hands saying I want Pfizer and turning down a perfectly good first dose of AZ, just as has happened here in Europe. Then there's the small task of developing the actual capacity to vaccinate on a 100% greater scale. They've had oodles of time to develop it, but they haven't, so I don't see them starting now.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old May 31, 2021, 4:46 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by nancypants
apparently within the realms of normality- you have been warned! 😉
update: they sent me a post immunisation questionnaire for both doses around 3 days after it was administered. Obviously my one from the second dose has set off an alarm somewhere as I had a call from the health department wanting more details. Call cut out as I was driving past Daly River at the time so will call back tomorrow and see what they want to know. Presumably this is an ATAGI thing
Old May 31, 2021, 9:45 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
HK and Singapore governments mooting nuisance levels of testing to encourage uptake https://www.businesstimes.com.sg/gov...ions-will-help
Old May 31, 2021, 11:50 am

Programs: BA Silver / SQ Sol PPS / KE & EK Nobody!
Originally Posted by percysmith
HK and Singapore governments mooting nuisance levels of testing to encourage uptake https://www.businesstimes.com.sg/gov...ions-will-help
Good on them. Once they're done, send the blueprint to Canberra. Forcing someone to inject themselves with something is immoral. Introducing precautions to ensure circulation amongst the few who disagree seems to be a logical precaution, and might just encourage them to change their mind...
nancypants likes this.
Old May 31, 2021, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
How is this even possible after what Victoria has been and continues to go through?

Only on Friday last week, the day after Victoria went in to full lockdown, did its government do what all other state and territory governments did months ago – implement a universal QR code system.

Prior to April 23 this year, Victoria, somewhat inexplicably given what it had already been through, had a hodge-podge of systems. Some venues still used paper and pen to record visitors and customers, some had their own app, some used a Victorian government app. Not only was this inefficient, but the need to enter details every time a new premises was entered meant a low rate of compliance. After April 23, it became mandatory to have either the Victorian government app or an approved third party code, the data of which could be accessed if need be but which did not automatically feed into a central database.
https://www.afr.com/politics/federal...box=1622471518
Old May 31, 2021, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bensyd
How is this even possible after what Victoria has been and continues to go through?
Only on Friday last week, the day after Victoria went in to full lockdown, did its government do what all other state and territory governments did months ago – implement a universal QR code system.
<snip>
Just Dan's bureaucrats at work!! It has only taken them year. One of the reasons why the VIC tracing system is hopeless.
The complete country (including WA & QLD) should a common QR code system. Not one for each state/territory

abc.net.au--->Victoria records three new local COVID cases as exposure sites surge again
To me no hope VIC will lift the lockdown will at the due date
abc.net.au--->Will Victoria’s COVID-19 lockdown be extended? Here's what authorities had to say
As we hit day four of lockdown and cases continue to grow, Victorians are starting to wonder if the current restrictions will indeed end at 11:59pm on Thursday.
<snip>
Old Jun 1, 2021, 5:27 am
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
Has anyone seen this? A new trial apparently is being recommended to allow fully vaccinated Australians from low risk-areas to only quarantine while you await your PCR test results, and leave quarantine if test is negative. If true, this is truly game-changing.

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...t-in-six-weeks
Old Jun 1, 2021, 5:32 am

Originally Posted by HB7
Has anyone seen this? A new trial apparently is being recommended to allow fully vaccinated Australians from low risk-areas to only quarantine while you await your PCR test results, and leave quarantine if test is negative. If true, this is truly game-changing.

I presume this concession is only for vaccinated Australians who want travel overseas and return to AU. Nothing for vaccinated Australians stranded overseas waiting to return home? 😩😩
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 6:31 am

Programs: VA (Plat), QR (OWE), BAEC (Silver), AY (Gold), HH (Diamond)
Originally Posted by A1pax
I presume this concession is only for vaccinated Australians who want travel overseas and return to AU. Nothing for vaccinated Australians stranded overseas waiting to return home? 😩😩
Exemptions would be extended to people vaccinated in Australia or in countries where vaccination status can be reliably verified – such as the UK, US, Canada and Singapore.

I imagine once the gov realizes English isn't the only language things can be done reliably in this list of countries will increase. I see the 6 Weeks as incredibly optimistic. I'd take 6 months to be honest.
LETTERBOY and nancypants like this.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 6:41 am

Programs: LH SEN
Not a lot of substance there but it's the first sign they are actually planning on doing something about this so.... I'll take that glimmer of hope and bank it.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 8:52 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Colesmore
I imagine once the gov realizes English isn't the only language things can be done reliably in this list of countries will increase..
Maybe the vaccines the Federal Government will accept - TGA, all WHO or saline solution as well...
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HB7

That idea has been floating around for a while. I think it's a reasonable step to take. Getting WA and Qld to agree to it will be whole different kettle of fish.

It does again highlight how confusing the messaging from the federal government is. A few weeks ago it was borders closed until 2024, now it's 6 weeks until vaccinated people can start coming and going.
Cathay1101 likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 1:31 am

Programs: VA (Plat), QR (OWE), BAEC (Silver), AY (Gold), HH (Diamond)
140k jabs yesterday. It'll be interesting to see if this drive from the public (and supply) stays strong over the next couple of weeks. It'd also be good if the availability to get vaccinated on the weekend was increased, as the numbers seem appalling Sat & Sun compared to midweek. Averaging a million doses a week for 3-4 weeks would make a decent dent in the middle-older age groups, appreciating a small number of those (comparitively) will be second doses.
​​​​​​It seems a shame it took a week long lockdown to get the masses moving but it's obviously what it took to make it hit home this problem ain't going away unless they utilise what they already have access to.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I sure hope NSW does not send Pfizer doses to Victoria. We are most at risk from a large scale outbreak because Sydney takes the lion's share of people in HQ. The current Victorian outbreak is fairly modest. Victoria has done the least and now they're asking NSW to send their vaccines because once again they have no faith in their contact tracing. Honestly, they've got more front than Mark Foy's.

NSW has been asked to send its Pfizer doses to Victoria by the southern state’s peak medical body, which says the suppression of community transmission would benefit Australia as a whole.When asked if NSW would consider sending any excess vaccines to Victoria, a spokesperson from NSW Health said the federal government is “leading the vaccine roll-out and is responsible for securing and distributing COVID-19 vaccines, with states and territories responsible for implementing parts of the program”.

The Herald understands about 250,000 people aged 40 to 49 in NSW have registered for a Pfizer vaccine. There are anecdotal reports appointments at the Olympic Park mass vaccination site is booked up well into July.
percysmith, HB7 and sydunipete like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.