Car rental in Noumea (New Caledonia) - Magenta airport

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2020, 6:04 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Car rental in Noumea (New Caledonia) - Magenta airport

Hi all,

Can anyone suggest which rental company would allow a pickup in Tontouta and return in Magenta, and v.v.? It _looks_ like there is nobody on location in Magenta, so I'm curious, does anyone deliver cars? Hertz and Avis have "downtown" locations, but I don't know if those would work or not. And if so, is there any company that does this at no charge? Sixt seems to want +40 EUR or something inane like that. I don't mind renting from a local company, as well, but I do have top status with the majors (Avis/Hertz/Sixt). I just can't seem to find any info on this.

Thanks for any help!
Old Feb 18, 2020, 11:14 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I have not been to Noumea, but I have had several pacific island car rental experiences.

Yes, companies will definitely deliver to the airport. I doubt they will do it for free. Local companies will be cheaper and you are unlikely to get a benefit from status with any major company (although in general the cars will likely be newer).

For most of Polynesia/Melanesia, calling is much better than trying to do anything online. Although you may not get a confirmation, just assurances, I've never been stranded (yet).
Old Feb 26, 2020, 4:41 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), Bonvoy Gold
Pseudo Nim

Back in December of 2017 we rented a car driving from Magenta (GEA) - early arrival from ILP - and drove around the island before our midnight flight to KIX from NOU.

We booked directly with Europcar online and worked flawlessly. Cost us CHF 80 (about USD 80) in total which was worth every penny...

PS. If you have not flown out of NOU before, FYI we encountered a dead airport as we arrived relatively early (around 19:00) for our midnight NOU-KIX flight and everything was closed...

Last edited by Cupart; Feb 26, 2020 at 5:36 am
Old Feb 26, 2020, 5:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cupart
Pseudo Nim

Back in December of 2017 we rented a car driving from Magenta (GEA) - early arrival from ILP - and drove around the island before our midnight flight to KIX from NOU.

We booked directly with Europcar online and worked flawlessly. Cost us CHF 80 (about USD 80) in total which was worth every penny...

PS. If you have not flown out of NOU before, FYI we encountered a dead airport as we arrived relatively early (around 19:00) for our midnight NOU-KIX flight and everything was closed...
Thanks! Good to know. So Europcar delivered to GEA and you dropped it at their counter in NOU? As I do not think there's literally any rental counters at GEA?

Noted on NOU being dead.... not surprising, since I guess there's not much other traffic after sundown and before the several midnight flights.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 2:48 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Thanks! Good to know. So Europcar delivered to GEA and you dropped it at their counter in NOU? As I do not think there's literally any rental counters at GEA?
When we picked up the car at GEA, there was a manned Europcar counter and we went through all the usual paperwork. Super friendly and helpfull staff (well, there was one person)

As we arrived super early at NOU we just dropped of the car. There is a rental return car park with an intercom (all in French only), so we parked the car and left the keys in the car return postbox (at the terminal) if I don't remember all wrong...

PS. Found it very easy to drive around the island but some roads are very rural and a tad rough... Oh, and you may need to be out well in advance to secure a rental car as I believe their fleet is relatively small :-)
Old Mar 22, 2020, 2:54 pm

Programs: QF, HH
Yes, I also used Europcar last year. Great service, very easy to use and I came to appreciate the little Peugeot 208. My understanding is that they have depots at NOU airport, downtown in the city and at Magenta airport too. I remember that being an option on their website.

BTW, do a trip report in the TR forums - we'd love to read it!
Old Mar 22, 2020, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Thanks! I will give it a go.

Of course, since my travel was to be early May, things are a little bit up in the air (unlike the planes I was supposed to be on...) so we're going to see if this is even feasible or not. Fingers crossed, though!
Old Mar 24, 2020, 1:54 am

Programs: QF, HH
The only thing I do wonder about is after-hours car hire pickup at NOU (La Tontouta). Europcar seems to suggest 24hr pickup, so there must be some sort of option.

If worse comes to worse, if you are arriving late, turn right when you walk outside at the arrivals. There's a shuttle bus that will depart even in the wee early hours - I took the last bus into town at about 1am or 1:30am in the morning. You can pre-book or purchase a ticket over the counter (pre-booking is better to guarantee a seat). Then in the morning, you can pick your car up at the depot downtown or at Magenta, or - the most inconvenient option - bus back to the airport to pick up your car.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.