New Zealand South Island Itinerary

Old Jan 14, 20, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Antonio8069 View Post
I don't see Milford Sound on your itin. It is nature on steroids.
What about Dunedlin? Penguins?
I don't get the AirBnB stays? My PF Kiwi stays were in shelters and huts run by the gov't:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/14/t...rail-huts.html
Day 9 is Milford Sound (if it does not rain). Is better to schedule 2 days.
April has an average 14.7 rainy days and a low monthly average of 548mm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milford_Sound

OP does not have enough time for Dunedin. And is not on the Canterbury - Central Otago- West Coast loop. And to me as a Canterbury resident is not that interesting.

Many (all?) DOC huts require prebooking.

Flying CHC ZQN is an alternative to driving, but past Mt Cook
Great Circle Mapper
Old Jan 14, 20, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

The cruise is the only thing I'm doing in Milford Sound. I'm bringing things to factor in the rain anyways. Itineraries online have said it will rain but it doesn't seem to affect the cruise itself. Correct me otherwise. I would love to stay in Milford Sound but there are limited accommodations and they are so expensive. So I decided to do a day trip to Milford Sound instead of staying one night.
Old Jan 14, 20, 10:29 pm

Staying in Te Anau two nights as you are planning either side of Milford is a very good idea. Far too many people try to do it from/to Queenstown and it makes for a very long day. Facilities in Milford itself are very limited. Don't forget to fill up your car the night before.
Old Jan 15, 20, 5:45 am

Yes I agree with that, stay in Te Anau two nights with day trip to Milford Sound. It rained when I was there but it was still enjoyable, the rain and clouds added their own atmosphere. Same at the glaciers, thousands of waterfalls appeared due to the rain and it was interesting to see how differently people handled the rain. Some were well equipped, some wore trash bags and some just said to heck with it and got soaked.
Old Jan 17, 20, 10:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
I wouldn't bother spending that many nights in Franz Josef. Frankly I'd skip it entirely and just head further up the west coast.
Old Jan 19, 20, 8:54 pm
_fx

Programs: AS 75k, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by sleepy3192 View Post
Its on day 9. I've never stayed in a hutt before. But I do know it requires needing to bring additional food and equipment which I'm not really a fan of. So I'd rather do a day hike and go back the same day instead.
If you like nature, this is a mistake. The hut system in NZ is incredible and unique. Staying in huts will give you access to wilderness and solitude that's simply impossible to replicate with day hikes. You don't need much equipment. Some huts have stoves, or you can carry a light stove (like a JetBoil).

Weather will impede extremely detailed itineraries. Personally, I would opt for a more flexible itinerary. Research cool stuff in various regions that you'll be happy doing. Once you're in NZ, you can follow the route with the best conditions.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: