Auckland wineries

Old Nov 6, 19, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Auckland wineries

Iíll be in Auckland next week and would be interested in visiting a couple of wineries near the city, preferably easily accessible as I will not have a car.

Someone in another forum mentioned Villa Maria. Does anyone have any other Auckland winery suggestions?
Old Nov 6, 19, 3:26 pm

From Auckland you can go across to Waiheke (ferry from city) where they make some very good Bordeaux Blends. You can check out Stonyridge, Man Oí War, Tantalus & Mud Brick.

Outside of that in Auckland you have Villa Maria and Kumeu River which I highly recommend.
freemark likes this.
Old Nov 6, 19, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

From a previous post, I saw that Villa Maria is very close to the airport, so should be easily accessible by public transportation. What about Kumeu River? Is it easy to get to by public transportation or UBER? And, how far away is it, time wise, from the city center?
Old Nov 6, 19, 6:09 pm

Programs: NZ Elite
Kumeu River, although a lovely spot, it is way out west. No direct public transport options available (well there seems to be a direct express bus but in the opposite direction which makes sense as people commute to the city for work from the suburbs)
So your options are self drive or uber perhaps.
From downtown AKL you're looking at 30 - 35 min. drive (outside of rush hour).

I would suggest sticking to the vineyards in Waiheke island and rent a car upon arrival. There's also taxis available or you could do an organised tour.
My favourites in Waiheke are Man O' War, Poderi Crisci and Peacock Sky.
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by gambda; Nov 6, 19 at 6:30 pm Reason: .
Old Nov 7, 19, 2:00 am

Programs: OZ*G, VA gold, NZ*G (Elite), QF bronze, Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, Bonvoyed ("Gold")
I would also agree with the Waiheke recommendation. The ferry ride over is lovely, the island is fairly small so for the most part nothing is too far away (except perhaps Man O' War), the scenery is delightful and there are stunning restaurants too. As gambda mentioned there are lots of organised tours that would take you to a selection of Waiheke wineries. If you're really feeling energetic you could rent an e-bike but the hills on Waiheke island are not to be trifled with, even with electric assistance!

There are lots of fancy destination restaurants on Waiheke but one simpler and cheaper one that we really enjoyed, situated on a high point of the island so with sweeping views, was Batch: https://www.batchwinery.com/waiheke-...mass-bach.html (disclaimer: this was about 4 years ago so hopefully it's still good). Their wine was nice too.

Villa Maria is also a great recommendation - they are a big producer but a high quality one, and the wines on offer for tasting are their more premium and unique ones so make for an interesting snapshot of NZ wine. They have quite a nice restaurant too.
Old Nov 7, 19, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you for recommending Waiheke and the winery suggestions. I’m researching all of them to try to narrow it down.
Old Nov 8, 19, 8:03 am

Turanga Creek was a nice place to have a meal and some wines when I visited a few years ago but they seem to have reduced their open hours considerably since then. It's probably not well served by public transport but could be a quick Uber away from somewhere more populated like Manukau if you're out that way.
Old Nov 8, 19, 10:59 pm

Programs: OZ*G, VA gold, NZ*G (Elite), QF bronze, Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, Bonvoyed ("Gold")
Originally Posted by FLYMSY View Post
Thanks to all of you for recommending Waiheke and the winery suggestions. Iím researching all of them to try to narrow it down.
In case it helps, a few impressions from our visit a few years ago (in addition to the Batch recommendation above).
  • I think my all-round favourite of the ones I visited was Goldie - some fantastic wines from a true Waiheke pioneer, with lots of passion and no pretensions of grandeur.
  • Stonyridge was quite fun and we had a nice sharing plate there, but it's a real scene - it has a cult following and a rock'n'roll back story and it shows. The Stonyridge Larose is Waiheke's most legendary wine and probably NZ's most celebrated bordeaux-blend red (which outside of Waiheke and Hawke's Bay is not really an NZ strength) so that's interesting to try if you don't mind paying for it!
  • Cable Bay and Mudbrick are the two best know restaurants on the island, both near the ferry and apparently both with excellent (though pricey) food. I got the sense they were more focused on the hospitality operation than on the wine (though no complaints about the wines - they're still good). In addition to the fancy restaurant, Cable Bay also had a more casual side with more reasonable prices and still delicious food, which we enjoyed.
  • When we went, Te Whau was a super fancy restaurant and winery; now it seems to have morphed into a luxury lodge.
  • I keep reading great things about the food at Poderi Crisci, Casita Miro and Peacock Sky, and I think all produce their own wine too. If you're looking for a gastronomic experience I'd put them on your list.
  • I would have loved to make it out to Passage Rock and especially Man O'War, at the far end of the island, but it was just too far on our e-bikes.
ps107 likes this.
Old Nov 10, 19, 8:06 pm

Waiheke is great if you have the time to enjoy.
Villa Maria by the airport is great if you want to actually try some wines without having to travel lots or take loads of time. We've had lunch there before flying out before. I don't recall much public transport though - it's close to the airport but not really a walk! But an Uber would be cheap.

Search this Thread