Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Auckland chocolate shops

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2019, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Auckland chocolate shops

I posted something similar when I went to Sydney earlier this year.

I’ll be in Auckland next week and I really love chocolate, especially dark chocolate. I’m not interested in any of the large commercial/industrial manufacturers, i.e., Lindt, or chains. I’m looking for high quality, locally owned chocolate shops that make their own chocolates. Also, not so much interested in bars of chocolate, but more interested in individual pieces (pralines).

I found an article about Auckland shops (link below). Does anyone have any experience with the six shops mentioned in this article? I’m staying at the Hilton , so are these shops relatively easy to get to from the hotel?

https://www.theurbanlist.com/nz/a-li...hocolate-shops
Old Nov 6, 2019, 5:56 pm

Programs: RFC
Sweetland (35 Garden Lane, Botany Town Centre) stocks De Spa chocolate. Nothing left to say.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 8:38 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
The Chocolate Cafe in Parnell is by far the best and world class. Also Parnell is a nice area to see, maybe the best part of Auckland.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 6:27 pm

Programs: OZ*G, QF Gold
I can definitely recommend Devonport Chocolates. You do have to take a ferry across the harbour to get to Devonport, but being at the Hilton, you are just around the corner from the wharf where the ferries depart.

I haven't tried the Chocolate Cafe in Parnell, but I agree with number_6 that Parnell is a beautiful area. In Parnell, there is a great French patisserie called Vaniyé which is well worth a visit too.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by number_6
The Chocolate Cafe in Parnell is by far the best and world class. Also Parnell is a nice area to see, maybe the best part of Auckland.
Originally Posted by FlyingJoy
I can definitely recommend Devonport Chocolates. You do have to take a ferry across the harbour to get to Devonport, but being at the Hilton, you are just around the corner from the wharf where the ferries depart.

I haven't tried the Chocolate Cafe in Parnell, but I agree with number_6 that Parnell is a beautiful area. In Parnell, there is a great French patisserie called Vaniyé which is well worth a visit too.
Thanks for the tip about Parnell. It seems like a worthwhile visit to spend a couple of hours.

Vaniyé looks obscenely decadent.
FlyingJoy likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 9:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz Gold Plus, Hilton Diamond
Another vote for Devonport Chocolates--a nice friendly shop with quality items and a short walk from the ferry dock.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

I tried the following shops:

CBD area: Devonport, Bohemein and Milse

Parnell: Chocolate Boutique, Vaniyé

All the shops had a good selection, with Devonport, Bohemein and Chocolate Boutique having the widest selection. Milse and Vaniyé had the bonus of macarons. Chocolate Boutique had some “macarons”, also, but they were much larger than the typical ones.

In my opinion, the quality of Vaniyé’s chocolates and macarons stand out from the other shops. If I lived in Auckland, this is the shop that I would most frequent. It was more than worth the short Uber ride to Parnell.

BTW, thanks to those of you who said that Parnell was worth a visit. I walked around to look at the older style homes and had a wonderful lunch in the courtyard at Non Solo Pizza. It was a very pleasant way to spend an afternoon.
FlyingJoy likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 5:54 pm

Too late for the OP, but for the benefit of anyone else coming to this thread in subsequent years, Miann on Fort St (CBD) is well worth a visit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.