Wiki Posts
Search

New Zealand ETA and tourist levy

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2019, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
New Zealand ETA and tourist levy

In the past UA would assist with getting an ETA for travel to Australia and would comp the fee for 1Ks. Sounds like that perk is long gone.

UA sent me an email to advise that New Zealand will require an ETA beginning 1 October and included a link to NZ immigration. Anyone gone through the process? Any hope of 1Ks getting the fee comped?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 12, 2019 at 11:43 pm Reason: Separate from Australian ETA thread
Old Sep 12, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by cranky1K
UA sent me an email to advise that New Zealand will require an ETA beginning 1 October and included a link to NZ immigration. Anyone gone through the process? Any hope of 1Ks getting the fee comped?
Urghhh, really? Do you know how much NZ$?
Old Sep 12, 2019, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by narvik
Urghhh, really? Do you know how much NZ$?
Looks like US$35. Not sure why they decided to use USD.

Looks like I followed a bad link. The correct amount appears to be NZ$35, which admittedly makes more sense (plus the NZ$9-$12 application fee, mentioned earlier).

Here's a govt.nz website link: https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...out-visa/nzeta

Last edited by jsloan; Sep 12, 2019 at 4:45 pm
Old Sep 12, 2019, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
Looks like US$35 [edit by narvik: "scammer" link removed] Not sure why they decided to use USD.

Cheers.

Love the name: "International Visitor Conservation and Tourism Levy (IVL)"
I bet they paid some consultant BIG bucks for that one.

Added: just applied and was charged $69. The website didn't specify which currency, but my SMS from credit card company states USD, but I believe that is wrong, and it is supposed to be (and will be converted from) NZ$69.

THANKS for the heads-up!

2nd added: thread title might be changed to "Fee for Australian and New Zealand VISA (eTA)"

Last edited by narvik; Sep 12, 2019 at 5:56 pm
Old Sep 12, 2019, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

I used the app and was charged $9NZD for the ETA and $35NZD for the IVL. (Going through the browser would have been $12NZD for the ETA. I think it is also more if your trip is close in.)
Old Sep 12, 2019, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
In a word, no. The NZ fees are very different to the AU fees.

The fee charges by the Australian Government for an Australia ETA, when done by a "travel agent" (ie, United) through the GDS is $0. The travel agent is allowed charge a fee to cover their time/costs, but 100% of that money goes to the TA. If you do it via the official publicly available website, then there is a fee of A$20 (about US$14).

The NZeTA is a different story. There are two parts to the fee for that - a NZ$9/NZ$12 fee for applying (depending on whether you apply via their website or their app), plus a "International Visitor Conservation and Tourism Levy" of NZ$35 which is payable by most visitors if you're not just in transit. I don't know if travel agents have to pay the $9/$12 fee if they apply via the GDS (or if that's even possible), but they certainly would have to pay the $35 fee so the odds of them comping it are basically zero...
Old Sep 12, 2019, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As noted upthread, in the past UA would assist with getting an ETA for travel to Australia and would comp the fee for 1Ks. Sounds like that perk is long gone.

FT thread--->NZeTA required from 1 October 2019 to visit or transit New Zealand

The fee varies depending on passport and transit vs entering.
My reading is that people in transit pay the NZeTA (NZ$12 or NZ$9) and those entering also pay the additional IVL (NZ$35)

It was a political decision to have a targeted international visitor levy. To do that they they put a NZeTA over the top, so to identify the targets. The costs to administer all this are very high. The IVL is for a Shane Jonesish type [-~Provincial Growth Fund] slush fund to spend this money (after costs) on infrastructure tourists may use. Instead of local governments spending local taxpayers money.

Be wary of scam web sites offering a NZeTA/IVL visa service. There are many scam web sites for the Australian ETA Au$20
NZeTA.....NZ$9 = US$5.76
NZeTA.... NZ$12 = US$7.69
IVL.......... NZ$35 = US$22.43
Summary
NZ$9 + NZ$35 = US$28.19
NZ$12 + NZ$35 = US$30.12
at today's exchange rate https://www.xe.com/currencyconverter...rom=NZD&To=USD

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Sep 12, 2019 at 4:05 pm
Old Sep 12, 2019, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I used the app and was charged $9NZD for the ETA and $35NZD for the IVL. (Going through the browser would have been $12NZD for the ETA. I think it is also more if your trip is close in.)
No. Fee does not change close in

Originally Posted by narvik
Love the name: "International Visitor Conservation and Tourism Levy (IVL)"
I bet they paid some consultant BIG bucks for that one.

Added: just applied and was charged $69. The website didn't specify which currency, but my SMS from credit card company states USD, but I believe that is wrong, and it is supposed to be (and will be converted from) NZ$69.
You have been scammed/deceived
This is not a genuine NZ Government web site (from post above) ( https://www.etanewzealand.com/intern...-tourism-levy/
Fine print
Disclaimer: This Website is a professional travel agency that aims to help individuals and companies complete the necessary travel authorization requests for short-term stays in New Zealand. There is a service fee which includes expert help and assistance, and the fees charged by the New Zealand Government. www.etanewzealand.com is not affiliated with the New Zealand Government or its sponsors. An application can also be submitted for a lower cost through the New Zealand Government here though this would be without our professional review and expert service.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Sep 12, 2019 at 3:53 pm
Old Sep 12, 2019, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
This is not a genuine NZ Government web site (from post above)
Thanks for the correction. I've updated my original post to remove the link to the bad site, and I suggest that you do the same. I don't want to contribute to giving clicks to miscreants.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
You have been scammed...
Originally Posted by jsloan
Thanks for the correction.
Oh, wow, you're right.
Teach me a lesson for doing a gazillion things at the same time!
Ironically, one of the other tabs I was working on WAS the official Govt.nz site (doing something else).
Really need to pay more attention these days...
Cheers! ^
Old Sep 13, 2019, 12:28 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Given UA is not providing assistance, this seems to be better in the NZ forum, so it stays up to date

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Sep 13, 2019, 7:15 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
If it's anything like the Canadian ETA, it applies even if you are only transiting the country. Theirs only costs CAD 7, which is nothing in the grand scheme of things. This one seems much more expensive.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 8:47 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by 1P
If it's anything like the Canadian ETA, it applies even if you are only transiting the country. Theirs only costs CAD 7, which is nothing in the grand scheme of things. This one seems much more expensive.
If you're only transiting (and from a visa waiver country) you need an NZeTA, but do not need to pay the IVL. Thus the cost if only about US$7.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In the past UA would assist with getting an ETA for travel to Australia and would comp the fee for 1Ks. Sounds like that perk is long gone.

I've done it - fairly painless process. The kicker is the $30ish kiwi tourist fee for entering (if not just transiting). I booked a trip to Australia from Hawaii w/ an overnight in Auckland. This came up in the interim. If I had known, I would have connected straight through. Can't comment on UA - this is Air New Zealand.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Given UA is not providing assistance, this seems to be better in the NZ forum, so it stays up to date

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Master thread here:---->NZeTA required from 1 October 2019 to visit or transit New Zealand

I have requested moderators lock this thread or merge. This thread was split off from an old UA forum Aust ETA visa thread

Please do not post in this thread
CPMaverick and :D! like this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Sep 25, 2019 at 3:26 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.