5 days in Vanuatu

Old Aug 28, 19, 3:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, QF-GLD, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
5 days in Vanuatu

I have 5 days booked in Vanuatu in mid-January. Why? No particular reason other than I am flying from NAN-Australia and fancied a stop somewhere else. VLI fit the bill.

I'm struggling to find much information here about Vanuatu, and kind of starting from scratch. Any tips? I am willing to fly elsewhere in the country if it suits. I'm looking for adventure, off-the-beaten path stuff, or hidden gems (not really luxury or resorts, as I'll be doing that in Fiji). I enjoy snorkeling and may be interested in diving, if it is exceptional. Short hikes, culture, history are of interest as well.

Thank you for your help!
Old Aug 28, 19, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

So far I've found:

- Mt Yasur Volcano, sounds amazing. Requires a flight to Tanna Island, but that doesn't sound too bad.
- Malekula Island, appears very isolated and the potential to have an islet to yourself, or meet indigenous tribes
- Espiritu Santo, great diving & snorkeling

Still researching
Old Oct 16, 19, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Plat
We are returning at the end of the month for our second trip. This time spending 4 days in Tanna and 6 nights (different places at different points in the trip) on main island. With 5 days it is hard to do more than 2 places. You can take day trips to see the volcano. We saw signs for them in the airport while we waited for our flight up to Santos. I recommend you spend most of the time on the main island you arrive to and do a day to the volcano. Or to another island if available. Otherwise you are spending a lot of time in transit and not "doing" or "relaxing".
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Oct 17, 19, 5:52 am
Original Poster

Thanks. I feel like Tanna is the most appealing to me. So probably I will split time between Tanna and the area around Port Vila, in order to not spend too much time in transit.

Still open to suggestions of course

Search this Thread