Tahiti to Fiji

Old Jul 15, 19, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Northwest Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador, National Executive Elite
Tahiti to Fiji

i thought I knew how to use Google but apparently not. Are there any airlines that service Tahiti to Fiji? I thought Air New Zealand did but I canít do it on their website. Sorry Iím sure itís an easy answer but I have hit my frustration level. Thanks in advance for the help.
Old Jul 15, 19, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jjlovecub View Post
i thought I knew how to use Google but apparently not. Are there any airlines that service Tahiti to Fiji? I thought Air New Zealand did but I can’t do it on their website. Sorry I’m sure it’s an easy answer but I have hit my frustration level. Thanks in advance for the help.
Air Calin can/could get you NAN-NOU-PPT
Great Circle Mapper
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircalin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nadi_I...tional_Airport
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Ton...tional_Airport
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faa%27...tional_Airport

But not be the cheapest. Going back via NZ or Au may be cheaper
Old Jul 15, 19, 4:18 pm

Programs: QF gold-> platinum
does seem like a bit of a glaring omission in the great pacific air route map- is there a historic reason for there not being a flight between these two places?!
Old Jul 15, 19, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nancypants View Post
does seem like a bit of a glaring omission in the great pacific air route map- is there a historic reason for there not being a flight between these two places?!
Supply & demand at work. Very little demand between the various islands in the South Pacific. Most visitors come Au, NZ, USA or where ever for 7 days on a beach (some times more). The locals are generally poor, and if they do travel its often to Au NZ to visit relatives or work. Local business & government people head for the big smoke: SYD AKL LAX. The usually government owned local (non profit making) airlines all want a big (prestigious) flag carrier and fly to Au NZ USA where ever. No money flying a few hundred miles to another small island. Fiji & Air Tahiti are a little different. They do serve smaller places in the their own country.
trooper and nancypants like this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jul 16, 19 at 2:39 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jul 16, 19, 1:50 am

Programs: QF gold-> platinum
(OT, apologise)

i was wondering if it had to do with when fiji airways was air pacific and some countries bought into it and others didnít?

I hear what youíre saying but with FJ and TN both having a kind of hub/spike model and doing some intra-pacific flights it kind of strikes me as strange that there isnít something between the two biggest pacific hubs

mind you I suppose PPT-NOU is accounted for as a domestic French flight, possibly subsidised? Maybe? But then why would Aircalin maintain the NOU-NAN route? Sort of thinking out loud at this point 😉
Old Jul 16, 19, 3:16 am

Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, QF-GLD, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
NOU-NAN is a sensible short hop. If Aircalin wants to take advantage of the nearest international hub, they need that flight.

PPT and NAN are the two biggest hubs in the South Pacific. I am kind of surprised that there isn't a flight between them, but I guess it is a fairly long flight and each hub is pretty self-sufficient.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 16, 19, 7:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Northwest Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador, National Executive Elite
Thanks for the input and the PMs. I think what I am going to do (based on a great idea) since I only have to go one way is take Air New Zealand PPT-AUK, spend the night and take AUK-NAN the next morning. Both airfares and hotel total under $500 so while not quite what I wanted for my schedule it should work. Thanks again!
Old Jul 16, 19, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the input and the PMs. I think what I am going to do (based on a great idea) since I only have to go one way is take Air New Zealand PPT-AUK, spend the night and take AUK-NAN the next morning. Both airfares and hotel total under $500 so while not quite what I wanted for my schedule it should work. Thanks again!
PPT-AUK-NAN is a little off the shortest route .
$500 for that distance is very good .
Link---> Great Circle Mapper
trooper and JamesBigglesworth like this.
Old Jul 16, 19, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
PPT-AUK-NAN is a little off the shortest route .
$500 for that distance is very good .
Link---> Great Circle Mapper
If you see a shorter route at a good price Iím all game. I have t found one yet.
Old Jul 16, 19, 4:32 pm

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club

If you see a shorter route at a good price Iím all game. I have t found one yet.
What heís getting at is that AUK is in Alaska.

AKL is the code for Auckland.
nancypants and trooper like this.
Old Jul 16, 19, 4:39 pm

Programs: NZ *G

If you see a shorter route at a good price I’m all game. I have t found one yet.
LOL! Have a look at that GCmap link.... Sorry... but that's funny.... (Not laughing at you...you aren't the first... not all Airport codes are obvious)
Old Jul 16, 19, 5:43 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, QF-GLD, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Realistically routing through AKL isn't that much of a detour considering what other options are available. And AKL gives you more options if things go wrong; many flights in the south pacific are not daily. So, I think you've found probably the best option.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 16, 19, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

Thatís funny. I get it now. Yes my airport code was off. Thanks everyone!