Replace MYKI at MEL Airport?

Old Jul 14, 19, 4:26 am
Original Poster

Replace MYKI at MEL Airport?

Is it possible to replace my expired Miki at MEL airport?
Old Jul 14, 19, 4:39 am

Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, QF-GLD, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by electriclarry View Post
Is it possible to replace my expired Miki at MEL airport?
I'm not sure what you mean by replace, but the Skybus office sells myki cards.
Old Jul 14, 19, 4:46 am
Original Poster

My four year old card expired a few months ago. and I do not live in Melbourne.
Old Jul 14, 19, 4:49 am

Programs: QF WP
Today I learnt that Myki cards have an expiry date (4 years after issue in case anyone was wondering)- a stupid policy IMO. Seems you have to take it to an approved location to get it replaced (PTV office, “premium metropolitan station” (??) or staffed V-line station within myki boundary).

is the sky bus counter one of those approved locations? Seems like no.

I am unclear if you can buy a new one and get a refund or transfer your old one across later

https://www.mymyki.com.au/NTSWebPort...placeMyki.aspx

thanks for the tip about them expiring 😉
Old Jul 14, 19, 6:00 am
Hvr

Programs: QC WP/OWE, LTG:
When my previous Myki was near expiry my local station refused to replace it because it the expiration date was more than two weeks away.

Since I was going to be overseas in the time I couldn't use it to get home.

To answer the OPs question, no there isn't anywhere at MEL AP to change over your expired Myki for a new one. Nor will you get a refund if you buy a new one because you cannot change over the old one.

Maybe catch the 471 bus to Broadmedows station and pretend to tap on. In the unlikely event you get a ticket checker play the victim and mentioning that you've just got off the plane from XXX and weren't aware that it expired.

You will most likely make it to the station without incident where you can quickly change it over for a new Myki card.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 14, 19, 8:39 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, QF-GLD, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
The expiration is news to me as well. I guess I lose myki cards too fast to have noticed.

Originally Posted by Hvr View Post
In the unlikely event you get a ticket checker play the victim and mentioning that you've just got off the plane from XXX and weren't aware that it expired.

You will most likely make it to the station without incident
Or maybe not. https://www.theage.com.au/national/v...23-p50t4g.html

Odds are you won't be caught, but for me, I'd just pay the $6 for a new one. Yes, annoying, but $6 every 4 years isn't a huge penalty.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 27, 19, 4:47 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by CPMaverick View Post
The expiration is news to me as well. I guess I lose myki cards too fast to have noticed.

Or maybe not. https://www.theage.com.au/national/v...23-p50t4g.html

Odds are you won't be caught, but for me, I'd just pay the $6 for a new one. Yes, annoying, but $6 every 4 years isn't a huge penalty.
We visited Melbourne earlier this year and stayed with relatives. They kindly provided myki cards for us, but one had expired and we only realised once we were on the tram. Luckily no inspectors for us that day, but it was a long 30 minutes until we got off in the city centre. Checking against a machine there we saw it was expired, but my relative had no idea about what to do in this case. We just ended up buying a new card.

I read the article. Expiry dates are annoying, particularly if you don't know. Amsterdam's card (or in fact a card that works in all Netherlands) has a 5 year expiry but its clearly printed on the card. It's a bit annoying to have to buy these cards for visits when they are in good perfect order. London's Oyster card doesn't have an expiry date. The original versions have an issue where you can't track daily spend on them via the app, but fine for guests. I've had two where increasingly they were not able to be read (as a result of me putting it in m back pocket and slowly cracking the card). The first time I was able to go to ticket booth were they did a swap for free and the 2nd time I bought a new card, and tapped the old card for a refund. Warning- don't have a large balance on it as it gives out coins. It also refunded the £5 deposit.

Even though London has contactless payment available on Bus, Tube, Train, Tram and DLR, I still prefer to have a separate card. The app even shows all transactions made via a registered bank card! My observations makes me think that Oyster card gets read quicker and the gates open faster than when you use a bank card. Vital for when you want the tube barriers to open that split second faster!!
Old Jul 27, 19, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
If you have an Android phone (I do), don't overlook the myki app. I used it when I was over in May and gave my existing card to a friend to use and avoid the $A6 purchase fee.
Old Jul 28, 19, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPMaverick View Post
If you register as a user the system will send you an email before expiry. A replacement card is free IIRC
You can have more than 1 myki card attached to account.
But not sure if the myki money balance is common to all cards or allocated to a specific card

https://www.mymyki.com.au/NTSWebPort...et%20up%20myki
Open an online account

Opening an online account will let you manage your own myki account or the accounts of the whole family.

It will also:
• Let you register more cards to your myki account
• Allow you to set up auto top up so you never run out of myki money
• Give you access to your travel and purchase history
• Let you view and update your contact details
• Suspend or cancel your myki and much more

NOTE: Please allow around 90 minutes for top ups you make online and by phone. Times may vary due to telecommunications coverage. We can't process payments from cards that aren't Australian or transactions from an IP address outside Australia.
But it is a bad unfriendly system
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jul 28, 19 at 1:12 am Reason: Added payment quote

Search this Thread