SIM card for Australia and New Zealand

Old Jul 8, 19, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

SIM card for Australia and New Zealand

I'll be visiting Australia and NZ for 3 weeks in November and I will need a SIM card to use my phone. Data only is required. Is there something I can pick up at the airport when I arrive in Melbourne or will I need to get a SIM card for each country?
Old Jul 8, 19, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mcbg1 View Post
I'll be visiting Australia and NZ for 3 weeks in November and I will need a SIM card to use my phone. Data only is required. Is there something I can pick up at the airport when I arrive in Melbourne or will I need to get a SIM card for each country?
You will need separate SIM's for Au & NZ, as they are different countries and have different phone carriers. Roaming data in the other country would be very expensive.

Au
Prepaid SIM (Data or Voice) - Australia
Sim Card in Australia
SIM cards available at MEL airport near international arrivals landside.
You need an identification check, which the phone booth guys will do

NZ
Prepaid SIM - New Zealand
https://prepaid-data-sim-card.fandom...ki/New_Zealand
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 12, 19, 12:06 am

Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, QF-GLD, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Vodafone have service in both AU and NZ, and I believe they do offer some travel sim card covering both countries. You can look for a Vodafone reseller at MEL and ask.

However most likely the cheapest options will be to get a different SIM for AU and NZ. If any AU SIM works in NZ it will be at a price premium.

You can also look into international travel SIM cards, which may be available online, offering reasonable rates in multiple countries.

Last edited by CPMaverick; Jul 12, 19 at 12:13 am
Old Jul 15, 19, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by mcbg1 View Post
If you're landing in Auckland, you can pick up a data-only SIM card from Spark as you walk through the duty-free area (5 gb for ~$30 USD).
I've never flown to MEL, but if it's anything like SYD, there are a bunch of cell phone stores and kiosks in the arrival hall (I got an Optus SIM card, 10 gb for ~$15 USD if I recall correctly)
Old Jul 15, 19, 8:30 am

Programs: QF gold-> platinum
Originally Posted by calbear2005 View Post
If you're landing in Auckland, you can pick up a data-only SIM card from Spark as you walk through the duty-free area (5 gb for ~$30 USD).
I've never flown to MEL, but if it's anything like SYD, there are a bunch of cell phone stores and kiosks in the arrival hall (I got an Optus SIM card, 10 gb for ~$15 USD if I recall correctly)
yes- or even the news agency type shops sell SIM cards (you’d want to know which one you’re asking for though as they are unlikely to help you out with choice)