Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Oceania (Australia, New Zealand & the South Pacific) > Oceania (Australia, New Zealand & the South Pacific)
Reload this Page >

5 hours in Brisbane airport between dom and international connections, what to do?

5 hours in Brisbane airport between dom and international connections, what to do?

Old Jul 7, 19, 11:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United mileage plus, qantas frequent flyer silver

How should I spend 6 or so hours whilst waiting for EK flight out of Brisbane Airport. Arrive at 1pm from Adelaide and depart on the EK flight at 9pm. Have access to business lounge(s) and am lucky to be in 1st on EK. It is Sunday 28/7/19
Old Jul 8, 19, 12:39 am

Programs: QF WP
If I had that layover I would go and check out the southern cross (although I appreciate most people arenít into these things). Not sure itís walkable though

https://www.bne.com.au/passenger/sho...smith-memorial
gezza48 and trooper like this.
Old Jul 11, 19, 11:44 am

Programs: Qantas
You could go to DFO (Direct Factory Outlet) for some shopping. There is a free bus from the terminal, itís actually on airport land so itís very close. Heaps of shops and cafes, you could easily kill a couple of hours.

There are self serve luggage lockers outside the domestic terminal, international terminal and DFO Itself (Skygate)

You could also get the train to South Bank, that can be quite nice on a Sunday afternoon (soak up some sun before your flight). The train is pricey though and will take around 30 minutes each way. I wouldnít bother with the City itself, it is dead on a Sunday.
Old Jul 12, 19, 4:51 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF SG, LH SEN, OZ D+, HH D, SPG P
[mod hat] As this is not really QF related I will move this to the destination forum for better coverage. [/mod hat]
nancypants and gezza48 like this.
Old Jul 12, 19, 5:42 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, QF-GLD, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
There's precious little of interest around the BNE airport, and the city isn't close enough or interesting enough to make the trek in the time you have. Transfer between terminals takes a bit of time. I'd probably stop by the Southern Cross as mentioned below (it's near the domestic terminal, so do it on arrival). Then I'd just head to the international terminal and spend the rest of the time in the lounge.
nancypants and gezza48 like this.
Old Jul 14, 19, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

Big thanks for making time with this highly useful local knowledge justinbrett especially about how to store my suitcases before I go on the other side, lol.
Old Jul 14, 19, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nancypants View Post
If I had that layover I would go and check out the southern cross (although I appreciate most people aren’t into these things). Not sure it’s walkable though

https://www.bne.com.au/passenger/sho...smith-memorial

Last edited by gezza48; Jul 14, 19 at 8:33 pm Reason: Typo
Old Jul 28, 19, 2:14 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Probably a bit late for the OP, but you could get a cab to Portside at Hamilton if you wanted a variety of restaurants and small number of shops to browse. There is a cinema too. But given you can eat for free in the lounge and watch movies on the plane, not sure you'd want to unless it's just to get out of the airport. It's only a 15 minute drive. Nearby Racecourse Rd has some restaurants too, and you could go for a walk exploring one of the city's early leafy suburbs (up the hill, not the flat area) to see some examples of architecture. There is a mix of old and new styles. If you feel daring you could hop on a Citycat ferry for a tour of the city by river. Just check the timetable so you ensure you can get off and catch another ferry back in time.

If shopping is your thing, and the DFO doesn't appeal, you can catch a cab (and possibly even a bus from the DFO) to Toombul shopping centre, probably only 10 mins away as you can access it from the airport expressway. However being a Sunday, I think all shops close around 5 to 6pm anway which gives you time to get back and have a snack in the lounge.
Old Aug 11, 19, 6:43 pm

Programs: QF, HH, LH M&M
Yes, for a shopping extravaganza you can go visit the DFO. Plenty of eating and drinking options there too.

If you'd rather, however, I'd say take the AirTrain into the city and pop down to Southbank for a bite to eat and a stroll along the river. Very pleasant. If time allows afterwards, you could take the ferry from the city up to the Hamilton wharf and hop back to the airport from there via an Uber or taxi. Just be sure to keep an eye on the time, yet very doable.

Alternatively, strolling around the Hamilton wharf area would be good for a slightly shorter layover. This is the first point of call for Brisbane's cruise ship passengers when docking, so they've recently added a few smaller, boutique style shops and up-market restaurants.

Search this Thread