2: Bora Bora
3: Bora Bora
4: AM pick up with boat, sail to Raitea and overnight there on the boat
5: Sail from Raitea to Tahaa, overnight there on the boat
6: Sail early back to BOB, connect to PPT and ferry to Moorea, overnight
7: Moorea
8: Return to PPT, overnight there
9: Depart

Is this a reasonable first trip to Tahiti as far as seeing a variety of islands and having enough time? More than 2-3 days of just lying on the beach in the same place with nothing to do is about all I think we'd like. Add a 3rd day in Moorea? Other islands? I think both of those sails should be under 6 hours, so should be easily doable in reasonable weather? Thanks!
Old Jul 6, 19, 9:41 am

Location: 36.19N 86.78W or 26 26′ 23″ N, 82 4′ 50″ W, depending on wx
Programs: AA-Plt, UA-Slvr, DL-zilch by choice, AS, WN, IHG-Spire Ambassador
Others may disagree, but I think Bora Bora is a bit overrated and less time there is ok. It's been 5 years since I was there, but it had the feeling of a place that had seen better days. I liked both Raitea and Tahaa, the latter because of some interesting events that happened including our being driven around in an old jeep by an resident who didn't speak a word of English- only French and who had some interesting perspective on things.

I did a pretty good hike on Moorea and wished I had spent more time there- was only there for a full day. Perhaps I'm filtering this through my own perspective, but I'd swap a Bora Bora day for a Moorea day.
Old Jul 6, 19, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by 6P&E View Post
Others may disagree, but I think Bora Bora is a bit overrated and less time there is ok. It's been 5 years since I was there, but it had the feeling of a place that had seen better days. I liked both Raitea and Tahaa, the latter because of some interesting events that happened including our being driven around in an old jeep by an resident who didn't speak a word of English- only French and who had some interesting perspective on things.

I did a pretty good hike on Moorea and wished I had spent more time there- was only there for a full day. Perhaps I'm filtering this through my own perspective, but I'd swap a Bora Bora day for a Moorea day.
Ok. Mostly I am wondering if it's a viable option to do the sailing, and if there are any amazing islands that I should try to work in even on a first swing through. Thx though! Luckily I speak French
Old Jul 6, 19, 8:45 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, QF-GLD, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Looks reasonable, I believe there are flights BOB-MOZ (Moorea), so that would save you some time if the schedule and price suit. The ferry is nice, take it on the way back to Papeete and get that experience, but it's time consuming to go BOB-PPT, ferry, etc when you don't have to.
Old Jul 7, 19, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by CPMaverick View Post
Looks reasonable, I believe there are flights BOB-MOZ (Moorea), so that would save you some time if the schedule and price suit. The ferry is nice, take it on the way back to Papeete and get that experience, but it's time consuming to go BOB-PPT, ferry, etc when you don't have to.
Great, that would be MUCH easier, was unaware they were operating that route. THX!
Old Jul 18, 19, 1:00 pm

Programs: VA,GA, SQ, IHG, HH, Europcar
Air Tahiti have a very strong network of flights
Old Jul 21, 19, 10:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
sounds horrendous. Inefficient use of days to transit. "seeing islands" as if they are boxes to be checked on a list (and via an overnight stay on a boat off the coast....)

But that's just me

Search this Thread