Transiting in Melbourne

Old Jun 6, 2019, 2:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat
Transiting in Melbourne

Hi.

I will be flying from BKK to MEL via MNL with Philippine Airlines and then from MEL to CPT via SYD and JNB with Qantas. These are booked separately. I have applied for an Australian tourist visa and hoping to be there for 10 days. I am slightly worried about the visas being denied and losing the money of the tickets (there was a sale so I booked the flights already but can change the dates for a slight fee).

Q1. What are the chances of the visas being denied.

Q2. If they are denied and I change my flight to Melbourne to a +-10 days later so that I can catch my next Qantas flights can I transit in Australia without a visa. I.e will Philippine Airlines allow me to fly to Melbourne without a visa (I can/will show them the onward tickets to Cape Town)

Thanks.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 2:40 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Williamsb747
Q2. If they are denied and I change my flight to Melbourne to a +-10 days later so that I can catch my next Qantas flights can I transit in Australia without a visa. I.e will Philippine Airlines allow me to fly to Melbourne without a visa (I can/will show them the onward tickets to Cape Town)
No. MEL-SYD is a domestic flight so you need to be able to enter Australia. Without a visa Philippine Airlines will not allow you to board your flight (because they will be fined if you arrive in Australia).
Old Jun 6, 2019, 4:15 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
You cannot fly the MEL-SYD flight without entering Australia (on a valid visa).

You don't mention your nationality, but most likely you can transit in Australia without a visa- but you can't leave the transit section of the airport.

There are three options I see:

- Skip AU and fly from BKK to Africa (safest option)
- Change your QF flight to BKK-CPT, transiting in SYD or PER (flying through Australia on one ticket shouldn't pose an issue)
- Change your BKK flight to land in SYD, and QF flight to depart from SYD (may have some trouble departing without an Australian visa, but should be possible)
Old Jun 6, 2019, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Even if you have a PH flight BKK-MNL-SYD and a separate QF ticket SYD-CPT there is no guarantee PH will accept the QF flight in lieu of a valid Au visa. A flight delay gives you problems.
You are not "transiting" in normal airline use of that term. Transit is where all flights on the same ticket. You have 1 flight ending and another separate flight starting at the same airport.

I note from your profile ZA South Africa.
TIMATIC is used by airline to determine eligibility
https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/travelinformation.php

OP other thread:-- Transit in BKK

Edit
SYD has an overnight curfew 23:00 05:00. You cannot stay airside in the terminal be those hours
PH flight MNL-SYD lands a 21:30 (from a very quick check)

Edit 2
From https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app...aspx?i=TIMATIC for Phillipines-Australia-South Africa. South African passport
But check your self. Do not rely on a random web site or this web site
Australia - Transit Visa
Visa required.

Transiting without a visa is possible for:
  • Nationals of South Africa transiting through Perth (PER) with a confirmed onward ticket for a flight to a third country within 8 hours. They must stay in the international transit area of the airport and have documents required for the next destination.
    - TWOV does not apply when transiting between T1/T2 and T3/T4 at Perth (PER).
  • Nationals of South Africa transiting through Cairns (CNS) or Sydney (SYD) with a confirmed onward ticket for a flight to a third country within 8 hours on the same calendar day. They must stay in the international transit area of the airport and have documents required for the next destination.
  • Nationals of South Africa transiting through Adelaide (ADL) with a confirmed onward ticket for a flight to a third country within 8 hours on the same calendar day. When transiting on different aircraft, the airline must give advance notice. They must have documents required for the next destination.
  • Nationals of South Africa transiting through Gold Coast (OOL) with a confirmed onward ticket for a flight to a third country within 2 hours or arriving and departing on the same aircraft. They must stay in the international transit area of the airport and have documents required for the next destination.
  • Nationals of South Africa transiting through Brisbane (BNE), Darwin (DRW) or Melbourne (MEL) with a confirmed onward ticket for a flight to a third country within 8 hours. They must stay in the international transit area of the airport and have documents required for the next destination.

Additional information:
Airlines can verify the status of an electronic visa holder by using Australia's Advance Passenger Processing (APP) system before boarding the aircraft. Verification by airlines using Australia's Advance Passenger Processing (APP) system will require the details of the travel document that the visa is issued against.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jun 6, 2019 at 6:17 pm
Old Jun 6, 2019, 8:23 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
You are not "transiting" in normal airline use of that term. Transit is where all flights on the same ticket.
That's not true. There's no definition as such with regards to the topic of this post (visa, customs, & immigration). Same ticket or different tickets are treated the same.

However your other points are valid and it does carry more risk (being allowed to board, misconnects, etc).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.