Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice for short NZ trip

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2019, 5:58 am
Original Poster

Advice for short NZ trip

Sorry if this is a repeat from another thread, but looking for some advice in planning a trip late october, early November 19.

So i arrive in akl from syd on the 28th October and my plan is as follows at the moment

28th - Flight SYD-AKL, drive to Rotoura
29th - visit thermal springs, drive on to Taupo
30th - walk the alpine crossing, drive up to Waitomo.
31st - visit the caves and travel back upto Auckland.
1st - explore Auckland
2nd - in Auckland for rugby match
3rd - flight AKL-MEL

So i just wanted to know if you'd change anything, if i need to allow more or less time for anything, or if you think a trip to the bay of islands would be better than anything i have suggested.

Also some general advice on hire car companies in new zealand, i.e snap, jucy, sixt. As the bigger companies are quite expensive for my dates.
Old May 28, 2019, 9:29 am

What are your interests? Do you have to be in the North Island (I'm guessing "yes" because of the rugby match)?
Old May 28, 2019, 9:45 am
Original Poster

I mean im willing to fly to the south as soon as i get in to akl but id need to be in akl on the 2nd so i did not feel i had enough time. Im more interested in hiking and exploring the nature to be honest, from reading up akl is much like any other western city so really only need a day to explore it.
Old May 28, 2019, 1:24 pm

You could go straight to Queenstown and stay in the area for 3 days before heading back to Auckland, but yea, it's a quick turnaround. However, I think it would be worth it.

I've only been to Auckland in the north and used it to get acclimated to the time difference (flying in from SF Bay Area), but from what I saw, yes, it's just like any other western city. But if you have a day, I recommend the Coast to Coast Walk; it's a quick 10 miles one way, and then make up your own path back to explore other areas of Auckland (I did this starting at Waitemata Harbour; 20 miles took a good chunk out of the day, so start early).

Last edited by calbear2005; May 28, 2019 at 6:52 pm Reason: typo
Old May 28, 2019, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Adw1995
Sorry if this is a repeat from another thread, but looking for some advice in planning a trip late October, early November 19.

So I arrive in AKL from SYD on the 28th October and my plan is as follows at the moment

28th - Flight SYD-AKL, drive to Rotoura
29th - visit thermal springs, drive on to Taupo
30th - walk the alpine crossing, drive up to Waitomo.
31st - visit the caves and travel back up to Auckland.
1st - explore Auckland
2nd - in Auckland for rugby match
3rd - flight AKL-MEL

So I just wanted to know if you'd change anything, if I need to allow more or less time for anything, or if you think a trip to the bay of islands would be better than anything I have suggested.

Also some general advice on hire car companies in New Zealand, i.e snap, jucy, sixt. As the bigger companies are quite expensive for my dates.
Your trip is OK.
You could fly onto to ROT if you can add to SYD AKL ticket. But the cost of a one way care hire many be more.
If you can drive to Rotoura will depend in the time you land. Do not drive at night. Is a slowish drive. Or maybe drive to Tauranga. You will be going back via the busy Hamilton route.
The 30 & 31 will be pushed/rushed. Better to make the final drive up to Auckland on morning of 1st from Hamilton or somewhere. Auckland is just another congested city.

As well as the first tier international brand car rental companies, like Hertz, Avis, Budget, Eurocar there locally owned second tier car rentals. Some have on airport depots. Some have new cars or can have cars that tend to be ~5 years old (or more) Japanese cars. 10's of thousand of used cars, pickups & trucks are imported into NZ every year from Japan.

(This list may not be up to date)

Some web car rental sites are more like consolidators or the same but with different brands/names/price. For example a2b & ezi have the same phone number.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.