Melbourne - The Eating Thread

Old Jul 15, 2019, 5:19 am

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
The railway club hotel in port melbourne raglan street
best steaks fine dining
best pub food in the attached public bar budget dining

not to be confused with the railway in south melbourne

the vault in yarraville, tiki bar jam sessions
Old Jul 16, 2019, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Ok so it’s either Collingwood or Richmond as my friend wants a place within 20-30 mins walk of the MCG with parking.

I’ve been to Fifty Acres and it’s excellent but was thinking about something else. I haven’t eaten at Proud Mary (only had coffee), is the food as good as the coffee?
Old Jul 16, 2019, 5:48 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Archie's would be around 20 minutes walk from the MCG, and the walk would be through Fitzroy Gardens. It essentially borders Richmond and Collingwood (and would be closer to the MCG than most places in Collingwood).

Richmond would offer closer options to the MCG and I know they have heaps of good places, but I don't have a particular recommendation. Although Richmond might be more hectic if something is on at the MCG.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

Have just eaten at Archie’s All Day. It’s very good.

Music is very loud though, coffee excellent.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 4:44 pm

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Thanks for all these suggestions.
Melburnian abroad, last visited late 2017 and will be back Nov 2019.

Our tastes are fairly downmarket but son likes to shout us to his local favourites once (or maybe twice).

We spent most of mealtimes eating in with family but these are some particular places we enjoyed when we went out:

- Collingwood Smith St: Bowl Bowl - very good , busy , unpretentious dim sum & noodles and I'm not especially a dim sum or noodle-lover! My wife in particular was searching for a "Singapore Noodles" as good as the one she had in some forgotten hawker stall in some forgotten year in Singapore and declared that THIS was the match. (walkable from MCG for those who asked)

- CBD: Chin Chin - son's treat. Everything my wife (and to some extent I) hated normally - loud background/foreground music, insanely busy (Friday night) , no reservations, queuing, sharing tables, sashimi ... but we just took the $69 (still showing that price) "Feed me" option, let the chef choose and she loved it, as did we all. Everything was a delight, including one or two sashimi dishes. Washed down with some crisp local and Asian beers. Son's partner took care of the queuing to put her details down, and we repaired to a quieter nearby bar until the text showing vacant spaces came.

- CBD & Richmond : The Meatball and Wine Bar. Does what it says, meatballs are very tasty and hit the spot when what you want is just - meatballs. And wine. (other drinks are available. Also vegeballs). The pork balls (w/sage, fennel seeds, orange zest) are particularly interesting.

- Camberwell, Burke Rd: Elyros. Cretan specialities, bit of a fine dining spin but still a neighbourhood Greek vibe. Albeit an upmarket neighbourhood. Their Mandarini Spritz is the best Aperol drink we've had in Australia (normally too weak & watery) and is up there with the best I've had in Italy, Bavaria and elsewhere. Addictive. Made from her Cretan grannies' homegrown mandarins, the manager assured us. Their mezze selections are up there with the best small plates in any Spanish, Scandinavian or Japanese place. Right across from Camberwell station. Worth dropping in if only just for a mandarini, if you happen to be passing.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Flower Drum is excellent. Not cheap but the quality is there.

Probably the the only problem is the rickety lift to get there!

The room is really spacious and carpet plush do sound levels are excellent. Service is brilliant.
Fyfan likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 3:53 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by JClasstraveller
Flower Drum is excellent. Not cheap but the quality is there.
A giant step down from 20 years ago when it was stellar, now it is good (I would hesitate to say excellent as there is stiff competition). Quality is there as you say, just not what it used to be (which was extraordinary, a legacy of Imperial chefs seeking asylum in Australia).
Old Dec 7, 2019, 11:16 pm

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Marriott Platinum, National EE
Have five nights in Melbourne next month...first time in Australia. Any good wine bars of note? I see Flower Drum has an extensive list. Other recommendations, though? We're looking forward to a day in the Yarra Valley as well.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 12:00 am
Original Member

European restaurant on Spring St (across from Parliament, next door to Princess Theatre) has a great wine list. Same ownership is the Wine shop next door (same kitchen but different menu, and they will serve you any bottle that they sell for reasonable corkage). Upstairs is Siglo's which is rooftop terrace bar, very crowded esp. when tennis is on. You can spend anywhere from $30 per bottle to $3000 per bottle quite easily In between there used to be a cigar bar but smoking is now banned by law so not sure what has become of it (still serving food/wine) ... so lots of choices in that building, at all price points.

My personal favourite is wine list at "Hell of the North" (restaurant named after the Belgian bike race), some very good finds as the owner is one of the best Sommeliers in Oz.

Another stealth wine choice is a Thai restaurant called "Cookie" which is on Swanston st (opposite the Grand Mercure hotel). Great wine list with many cellared French wines and obscure Australian ones. However the gems get discovered and drunk, so the wine list seems to get less stellar each year.

Cocktail bars are the hot thing now, and Melbourne has some good ones ... has replaced the wine bar to a surprising extent.
cyborg and rdh0924 like this.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by number_6
European restaurant on Spring St (across from Parliament, next door to Princess Theatre) has a great wine list. Same ownership is the Wine shop next door (same kitchen but different menu, and they will serve you any bottle that they sell for reasonable corkage). Upstairs is Siglo's which is rooftop terrace bar, very crowded esp. when tennis is on. You can spend anywhere from $30 per bottle to $3000 per bottle quite easily In between there used to be a cigar bar but smoking is now banned by law so not sure what has become of it (still serving food/wine) ... so lots of choices in that building, at all price points.

My personal favourite is wine list at "Hell of the North" (restaurant named after the Belgian bike race), some very good finds as the owner is one of the best Sommeliers in Oz.

Another stealth wine choice is a Thai restaurant called "Cookie" which is on Swanston st (opposite the Grand Mercure hotel). Great wine list with many cellared French wines and obscure Australian ones. However the gems get discovered and drunk, so the wine list seems to get less stellar each year.

Cocktail bars are the hot thing now, and Melbourne has some good ones ... has replaced the wine bar to a surprising extent.
Thanks, 6. I've put these on my list of places to check out! We're down to try out several cocktail bars as well
Old Dec 8, 2019, 7:20 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Carlton Wine Room, although a ways from the CBD, is very good, especially if you want a long by-the-glass list. The food there is spectacular as well.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Carlton Wine Room, although a ways from the CBD, is very good, especially if you want a long by-the-glass list. The food there is spectacular as well.
Thanks for the tip, CP! Mrs. RDH will be happy for these wine recs in particular.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 9:45 pm

Programs: OZ*G, QF Gold
Originally Posted by rdh0924
Have five nights in Melbourne next month...first time in Australia. Any good wine bars of note? I see Flower Drum has an extensive list. Other recommendations, though? We're looking forward to a day in the Yarra Valley as well.
I really like Kirk's Wine Bar (46 Hardware Lane).

Another of my favourites is Milk the Cow. It has branches in St Kilda and in Carlton - I prefer the St Kilda one - both branches easily accessible by tram from the CBD. It's a "licensed fromagerie" offering wonderful cheeses, cheese-related dishes and a good wine list. I go there almost every month for a cheese and wine tasting session

A few of my favourite cocktail bars: 1806; Byrdi; Lily Blacks; Magic Mountain Saloon; Denmark House.

Aside from the Yarra Valley, do consider a day in Red Hill on the Mornington Peninsula. Great wineries, food and scenery! You can also easily combine it with a session at the beautiful Peninsula Hot Springs.

Last edited by FlyingJoy; Dec 9, 2019 at 9:54 pm
Old Dec 11, 2019, 1:40 pm

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Just returned from a month in Melbourne.

Took wife, son and his gf to Tarrawarra winery in Yarra Valley for a treat.
Great food, wine, service and view.
Well recommended.

We didn't eat anywhere else very remarkable - mostly son's favourite local joints - but I'd give Peko Peko (Japanese/Taiwan) in Smith St Collingwood (Fitzroy side actually) another visit.

For brunch, South of Johnston (SoJo) on Oxford St Collingwood also very good.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 2:41 pm
Original Member

Peko Peko has multiple locations with good cheap food, but in the bottom half of what Melbourne has to offer. I've eaten at the one by the Domain but not Smith St (too many other choices in Smith St to try Peko there).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.