First time in NZ South Island: Queenstown or Christchurch?

Old May 16, 2019, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

First time in NZ South Island: Queenstown or Christchurch?

For my first time in New Zealand's South island in early December for 4 nights, shall I pick Queenstown or Christchurch?

I am interested in walking, hiking, exploring.

Thank you in advance!
Old May 16, 2019, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by michael_v
For my first time in New Zealand's South island in early December for 4 nights, shall I pick Queenstown or Christchurch?

Thank you in advance!
Queenstown all day long for me. So much to do in relation to all three activities. Plus, lots of fun things to do on the river (thinks it’s called the shotover river).

Enjoy!!
Old May 17, 2019, 4:37 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by michael_v

Thank you in advance!
Four nights on the south island is really not enough time, but you take what you can get, right? I love both places. Christchurch is definitely more of city and has a bit of an English vibe. Queenstown is the place if you love spectacular scenery, adventurism, and great hiking. I haven't been in a few years and hear it's getting more and more crowded, so you could consider some other smaller towns around Q-town, like Wanaka or Te Anu (great access to the trails there). You really can't go wrong in NZ. For my money it's the most spectacular place on earth. Have a great trip.
Old May 18, 2019, 1:45 am

Programs: NZ Silver
Or you could land in CHC and drive to ZQN (or vice versa) so you can experience both? There's some great short hikes around Mt Cook/Tekapo area which is between the two.
Old May 18, 2019, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
If you want to be really busy I would land in Christchurch, spend one day there
Take a tour bus that drives down the island with a stop at Cook Mountain area and arrives late in Queenstown
Spend the rest of your time in Queenstown and fly out of that airport
If you must pick one of those I would vote Queenstown for the uniqueness.
Old May 18, 2019, 6:36 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
don't take a pass on Christchurch

A couple of years ago, we had a one month home exchange in Dunedin and traveled to Queenston by car. Fabulous.
We also really liked Christchurch. After the earthquake, its a fascinating place.
IMO, do both.
Old May 19, 2019, 4:48 pm

With 4 nights (I take this to mean 3 full days), stick to Queenstown and maybe a day trip to Wanaka or Milford Sound (plan your travel wisely as you will undoubtedly spend more time than you think you will driving).
javabytes likes this.
Old May 20, 2019, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
If you want walking, hiking and scenery, the choice is easy. Queenstown all the way.
Old May 21, 2019, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Thank you all. I will try to do Queenstown now and Christchurch on my next trip. It gives me a reason to come back to NZ.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.