Bringing Duty Free into Australia

Old May 10, 19, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Bringing Duty Free into Australia

Apologies if this has been asked before but I canít find it,

Iím traveling DUB-FRA-SIN-PER. I have read somewhere that Australian immigration do not allow STEBs, therefore I cannot buy any duty free products along the way.

Is this correct, if so can anyone expand in the information?
Old May 10, 19, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

https://www.icao.int/Security/SFP/LA...s/default.aspx

https://www.abf.gov.au/entering-and-...alia/duty-free
https://www.abf.gov.au/entering-and-...ou-bring-it-in
https://www.abf.gov.au/entering-and-...ing-on-a-plane

Not 100% sure, but you only may be able to buy in SIN
What are you wanting to bring in?
Old May 10, 19, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by RyanL View Post
Apologies if this has been asked before but I can’t find it,

I’m traveling DUB-FRA-SIN-PER. I have read somewhere that Australian immigration do not allow STEBs, therefore I cannot buy any duty free products along the way.

You can buy duty free on arrival, but the prices are cheaper in Singapore. Provided you shop and pay at least 90 minutes before your connecting flight out of Singapore, they will deliver the duty free to your gate and you can carry it straight on board (you collect it after security, just before boarding).

But this does take time, hence the 90 minute rule.

Last edited by LHR/MEL/Europe FF; May 10, 19 at 7:54 pm
Old May 10, 19, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Likely just some Perfume and skincare products. I usually buy these in airports as they are much cheaper than the high street.
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF View Post
You can buy duty free on arrival, but the prices are cheaper in Singapore. Provided you shop and pay at least 90 minutes before your connecting flight out of Singapore, they will deliver the duty free to your gate and you can carry it straight on board (you collect it after security, just before boarding).

But this does take time, hence the 90 minute rule.
So I can only purchase in Singapore and not Dublin or Frankfurt?
On the way out I will not have any time for that in Singapore, will have to wait until my return journey.
Old May 10, 19, 8:01 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, QF-GLD, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I’m traveling DUB-FRA-SIN-PER. I have read somewhere that Australian immigration do not allow STEBs, therefore I cannot buy any duty free products along the way.

I don't understand. Why do you want to involve STEBs (tamper-resistant bags)?

Australia has limits on what you can bring in duty-free. As long as you meet that criteria, you are fine.

STEBs are to assist in security checks. They don't have anything to do with immigration. I don't know of any country that changes their duty-free allowance based on STEBs.

Forget the STEBs, can you elaborate on what you want to actually accomplish? We can probably help.
Old May 10, 19, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by CPMaverick View Post

Australia has limits on what you can bring in duty-free. As long as you meet that criteria, you are fine.

I don't know of any country that allows extra duty free items just because they are in a special bag. That's more for onward domestic flight security, which has nothing to do with immigration.

Forget the STEBs, can you elaborate on what you want to actually accomplish? We can probably help.
I think what the OP is saying is that Aussie rules don't allow the use of tamper proof bags at connecting airports for purchased duty free (that is, even if it is in a tamper proof bag, the OP won't be able to carry it on board at the last connecting point (Singapore)).

AFAIK, this hasn't changed and the OP is correct. Some airports have special provisions now to deliver DF purchased at the last connecting point (like SIN), but this doesn't include bringing tamper proof bags from earlier purchases.
Old May 10, 19, 8:06 pm

Likely just some Perfume and skincare products. I usually buy these in airports as they are much cheaper than the high street.
As long as the total value doesn't exceed AUD900, you shouldn't have any issues. If you are bringing in large quantities, keep your receipts.
Old May 10, 19, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF View Post
I think what the OP is saying is that Aussie rules don't allow the use of tamper proof bags at connecting airports for purchased duty free (that is, even if it is in a tamper proof bag, the OP won't be able to carry it on board at the last connecting point (Singapore)).

AFAIK, this hasn't changed and the OP is correct. Some airports have special provisions now to deliver DF purchased at the last connecting point (like SIN), but this doesn't include bringing tamper proof bags from earlier purchases.
Originally Posted by CPMaverick View Post

STEBs are to assist in security checks. They don't have anything to do with immigration. I don't know of any country that changes their duty-free allowance based on STEBs.

Yes correct, I wanted to know if I could buy some Perfume in Dublin or Frankfurt Airports as I wonít have time to do shopping in Singapore p.
Old May 10, 19, 8:11 pm

EDIT: OK, I understand. Sorry, I don't know about bringing liquids through transit at SIN specifically. But that is a security issue at SIN, perhaps related to Australian security laws, but not immigration.
Old May 10, 19, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

More to do with (perceived) security risk than customs
https://www.australianfrequentflyer....l-confiscated/
<snip>
The Australian government does not allow liquids, gels or aerosols (LAGs) over 100mL to be carried onto international flights to or from Australia. This includes airport duty-free alcohol purchases, unless delivered to you at the boarding gate in a sealed bag.

Even if youíve already cleared security, most international flights to Australia are subject to secondary security screening for liquids, aerosols and gels at the boarding gate. (The only exceptions are flights departing from New Zealand or the United States.) And at airports such as Singapore, all security screening is done at the boarding gate. This is where people often get caught out and have their duty-free alcohol confiscated.

Many frequent flyers prefer to buy duty-free alcohol overseas because it is cheaper than in Australia. You can still do this, but make sure you ask if the shop provides a gate-delivery service for flights to Australia. If so, your purchase will be handed to you at the boarding gate in a sealed bag. Youíll be allowed to take it on board as long as you donít open the bag.

If youíre transiting through another airport before arriving in Australia, beware that your duty-free alcohol will likely be confiscated before boarding the final flight to Australia. Thatís exactly what happened recently to an AFF member bringing duty-free alcohol to Australia while transiting through Bangkok.
I travelled from Delhi to Sydney yesterday, during transit at Bangkok Airport they confiscated my two very expensive bottles of scotch just before boarding gate. These bottles were purchased at Delhi Airport and still sealed in a security bag. Their explanation was that Australian law doesnít allow any liquids more than 100 ml to be carried as carry on. They just took the bottles, no paperwork was done or provided Ė unreal.
<snip>
Old May 10, 19, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

So this only applies to Alcohol?
Would I be ok if I bought say a 50ml bottle of Perfume
Old May 10, 19, 9:07 pm

So this only applies to Alcohol?
No, see the information quoted by Mwenenzi. It applies to Liquids, aerosols, and gels (LAG).

If it is under 100 ml it should be allowed.

If you buy it at SIN and have it delivered at the gate, then it is also fine.

Search this Thread