Adelaide advice wanted

Old Apr 24, 19, 4:02 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Frankfurt
Programs: QR Platinum
Posts: 206
Adelaide advice wanted

Dear members, I will have a layover in Adelaide soon and would appreciate advice for the following:
1. Full day Barossa valley tours. Which company is good?
2. Dinner on a Sunday evening (many places seem to be closed on Sunday evenings). Up market but not Michelin star category.
3. Any other recommendations to fill a day.

Thanks
toz100 is offline  
Old Apr 24, 19, 4:58 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 16
Hi Toz,
I hope you have a great time in Adelaide! I have done a Trailhopper tour in McLaren Vale, and I know they run tours in the Barossa too. I really prefer it to a standard tour as you can pick and choose the wineries you go to and how long you spend there. There are others like Bums on seats, Gray line tours, Groovy grape. Here is a list you could look at: https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Attra...Australia.html

In terms of restaurants, Adelaide has a lot! There are some really nice ones in the Barossa, Adelaide Hills or McLaren Vale. Penfolds Winery has a restaurant in Magill (about 15 minutes from the city), but there is also Orana and Georges on Waymouth which are great too. There's also Hill of Grace at Adelaide Oval. While the food is very well done, the service was severely lacking, and I personally wouldn't hurry back.

When will you be there? If you're going to be there when it's warm, I highly recommend heading to the beaches. Glenelg is the easiest to get to, but locals are big fans of Henley.
toz100 and CPMaverick like this.
Simone87 is offline  
Old Apr 24, 19, 6:18 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Frankfurt
Programs: QR Platinum
Posts: 206
Originally Posted by Simone87 View Post
Hi Toz,
I hope you have a great time in Adelaide! I have done a Trailhopper tour in McLaren Vale, and I know they run tours in the Barossa too. I really prefer it to a standard tour as you can pick and choose the wineries you go to and how long you spend there. There are others like Bums on seats, Gray line tours, Groovy grape. Here is a list you could look at: https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Attra...Australia.html

In terms of restaurants, Adelaide has a lot! There are some really nice ones in the Barossa, Adelaide Hills or McLaren Vale. Penfolds Winery has a restaurant in Magill (about 15 minutes from the city), but there is also Orana and Georges on Waymouth which are great too. There's also Hill of Grace at Adelaide Oval. While the food is very well done, the service was severely lacking, and I personally wouldn't hurry back.

When will you be there? If you're going to be there when it's warm, I highly recommend heading to the beaches. Glenelg is the easiest to get to, but locals are big fans of Henley.

Hi Simone,

thanks a lot for that. Trailhopper looks excellent. I think I will book the Barossa tour.

The restaurants you mentioned are all closed on Sundays or under renovation. It seems that all Adelaide stays at home on Sunday nights ;-)

I will not have time to go to the beaches though. I will arrive this Sunday afternoon from Brisbane and leave late on Monday night. This is just a positioning flight for my home journey after 3 months of travelling in NZ and OZ.

Cheers
Maximilian
toz100 is offline  
Old Apr 25, 19, 8:31 pm
  #4  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Posts: 19,349
Star of Greece is open sunday 12-3 so lunch only not dinner but it is superb and worth the effort. https://www.starofgreece.com.au/
Otherwise your observation that Adelaide rolls up the sidewalks on Sunday is mostly correct, not as bad as used to be but it is quite different from Sydney or Melbourne.
secondsoprano likes this.
number_6 is offline  
Old Apr 28, 19, 8:52 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: ORD
Programs: AA EXP LT Plat >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Posts: 2,427
Sunset at Gleneg (take the tram from the CBD) is really nice. Its the beach area, and there are lots of restaurants. Not fancy a variety of cuisines and very nice atmosphere on the square.

There is a jamie oliver restaurant in the CBD if you like that sort of thing.

Museums are also great. The South Australian museum is one of several.

There is also Hahndorf in the valley, strawberry picking, and good aboriginal galleries. one is right in the entrance to the central market (which is also a good place to visit)

In short, lots to do, and easy to get around.
worldiswide is offline  
Old Sep 24, 19, 12:35 pm
  #6  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: AUS / GRK
Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*
Posts: 10,969
Hi everyone--

Thought I'd add to this thread since my question is very similar. I'll have a long layover at ADL on a Tuesday in January, about 1:30pm to 10pm. Realistically, I'll want to be back at ADL around 7:30-8pm, so I have about 6 hours to play with.

Is the Star of Greece kiosk worthwhile? I was thinking of hiring a car at ADL and driving down. How is the beach in that area? Perhaps I could hang out down there for a bit.


I had looked into options for storing bags at ADL (I have separate bookings so they won't transfer through), and taking transit into town/locally. But if I get a car, I can just put my bags in that and use it for transit, so it accomplishes both objectives.

Are there any other good drives that would take me no more than 90 min from ADL? How is the drive out toward Cape Jervis or Victor Harbor?
aztimm is offline  
Old Sep 24, 19, 2:42 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 14,208
Aldinga Beach/Star of Greece kiosk is 44km from ADL airport
https://goo.gl/maps/bbudjyerwtQpCcjFA
Victor Harbour is 85km: more of a day trip, unless you want to immediately turn around and drive back to the airport.

For say 14:00 to 19:30 I would go Glenelg beach or Aldinga Beach (Star of Greece)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenelg,_South_Australia
McLaren Vale is a wine area
In January it can be very hot in Adelaide.
Mwenenzi is offline  
Old Sep 24, 19, 3:16 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: MEL
Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, QF-GLD, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Posts: 7,479
Originally Posted by toz100 View Post
I will not have time to go to the beaches though.
Glenelg Beach is right next door to the airport. it's the perfect place to go on a short layover (if you like beaches).

I know it is too late for you now, but for others, I can recommend Goodlife Modern Organic Pizza, or Beach Burrito Co, in Glenelg. Both are tasty, both are open on Sunday until 9 pm at least.
nancypants and aztimm like this.
CPMaverick is offline  
Old Sep 24, 19, 11:22 pm
  #9  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Posts: 19,349
Originally Posted by aztimm View Post
...Is the Star of Greece kiosk worthwhile? I was thinking of hiring a car at ADL and driving down. How is the beach in that area? Perhaps I could hang out down there for a bit.
...
To be clear Star of Greece is now a very nice restaurant set on top of a cliff overlooking a great beach. It started as a beach shack but is now a roughly Michelin 1-star restaurant with a great wine list. Well worth going out of your way, and the surrounding area is quite nice too. I don't know if the beach is safe for swimming -- quite likely not. Lots to do in the surrounding area, mix of country and small town heavy on wineries.
number_6 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread