Is Whitehaven Beach Worth It?

Old Apr 18, 19, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Various
Is Whitehaven Beach Worth It?

We're going to be in the Whitsundays for a few days in June, basically two full days and nights on Hamilton Island and one night in a swag at Reef Sleep. (I know that is not a lot of time.) We're splurging a bit on the Beach Club hotel on Hamilton I., and I was wondering if it would be worth it to book a day trip or half-day trip to Whitehaven beach. The pictures are gorgeous, and the boat trip itself could be nice, but it will obviously cut into our chill out time at the hotel. For those who have been there, what would you do? Thanks for any help!
Old Apr 20, 19, 8:07 pm

Programs: Air: Many; Hotel: HH D, HY D, MR G, CC S, IHG P
Hi, I visited Hamilton Island (HI) last fall, with my primary purpose being to visit Whitehaven Beach (WB). I had heard that WB was one of the best beaches in the world, so it was on my bucket list. I also only stayed two nights on HI, and my debate was about which excursion to do to WB. I really didn't want to do a full day tour, but I wanted to see both Whitehaven Beach and Hill Inlet, which could not be done on any of the half day trips I found. I ended up sacrificing Hill Inlet and just doing a shorter excursion (WB and one snorkeling stop). Whitehaven Beach was a beautiful white sand beach (much nicer than the beaches on HI), but I only got to spend about an hour there, and it just felt touristy with everyone there doing day trip stops with the boats waiting just off the beach. So, I kind of have mixed feelings about HI and WB. I travelled to Australia from the eastern US (also visiting Hawaii, Cairns/Port Douglas for a Great Barrier Reef excursion, and Hong Kong on this trip), and HI would not be worth all the travel for me strictly for a beach vacation, as I have certainly been to nicer beaches (Caribbean, Maldives). But, WB was beautiful,and HI (cute, self contained island) was a nice place to spend a couple of days.
Old Apr 21, 19, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your reply! That is exactly the type of insight for which I was hoping. We'll still need to make up our minds, but that is so helpful!
Old Apr 22, 19, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / MLife Gold / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Explorist / United Silver
If you want to go, spend some extra and at least go with Hamilton Island Air.

Cruise Whitsundays will feel like being in a can of sardine.
Old Apr 22, 19, 2:35 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, QF-GLD, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
It's a really beautiful spot. However, if you go on a tour, the beach & lookout is crowded for the time you are there. And if there are other tours at the same time, it can get really hectic.

When I visited the lookout was basically a zoo with everyone poking selfie sticks out trying to get a clear photo of the beach. Beautiful, but certainly not serene. I didn't go to the beach itself, but I don't think you get the perspective on the beach that you see in the famous photos. So I'm unsure if it is worth going onto the beach or not.

Probably, the best perspective is from the air. If I did it again, I'd skip the lookout unless I was on a small tour.
Old Apr 22, 19, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

I hadn't even thought about doing an air tour. That's a great suggestion, thanks! It's a bit spendy, but our flights to Australia were a great deal, so we could maybe justify this. Thank you both!

Search this Thread