Qantas Frequent Flyer or Emirates Skywards

Old Apr 17, 19, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas/Virgin
Qantas Frequent Flyer or Emirates Skywards

I have booked a return flight on Emirates SYD/ATH flying in a mixed first/business cabin. I'm aware that this will earn 52,700 Skyward Miles, and 52700 Tier Miles. I'm based in Australia and don't travel regularly.

Could I please have some advice..... Should I fly on my Qantas F/F or Emirates Skyward???? Thanks
Old Apr 17, 19, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Gdog2 Welcome to FT
Originally Posted by Gdog2 View Post
I have booked a return flight on Emirates SYD/ATH flying in a mixed first/business cabin. I'm aware that this will earn 52,700 Skyward Miles, and 52700 Tier Miles. I'm based in Australia and don't travel regularly.

Could I please have some advice..... Should I fly on my Qantas F/F or Emirates Skyward???? Thanks
1 trip is not a good basis for selecting a ffp.

The airline you fly most or an airline of the country you live is the best ffp for many people. Generally you are better earning on your primary airline due to greater recognition, better service when disruptions, better seating (with some ffp’s) ability to upgrade flights, possible operational upgrades and simpler to earn non flying ff miles/points. Status benefits are often better on the home airline.

Having multiple ffp’s with low balances is never a good idea. You may never get enough ff miles/points to be of use before they expire. Adding frequent miles in a ff program that you can use, are worth more than ff miles in an orphan ffp that you will never use, even if the earning rate is nominally better. FFP’s are for the medium to long term. However at times it makes sense to have a ff membership with an airline in another alliance. (e.g. Oneworld & Star)

Be mindful of expiry Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire. Click to open the wiki.
EK have a hard 3 year expiry: use them or loose them.
Old Apr 17, 19, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas/Virgin
Thank you!

Search this Thread