FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Oceania (Australia, New Zealand & the South Pacific) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oceania-australia-new-zealand-south-pacific-461/)
-   -   Flight School Recommendations in Melbourne, Australia (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oceania-australia-new-zealand-south-pacific/1963583-flight-school-recommendations-melbourne-australia.html)

quarryking Apr 1, 2019 10:25 pm

Flight School Recommendations in Melbourne, Australia

Hi folks, helping a relative shortlist Flight Schools in Melbourne, Australia for a Commercial Pilot Training Course. As of now, some of the schools that they're looking at are

1. MELBOURNE FLIGHT TRAINING

2. CAE OXFORD

3. SOAR AVIATION

4. LEARN TO FLY

5. ROYAL VICTORIAN AERO CLUB

Course duration's seem to vary from 12 months – 15 months.

And course fees also seem to vary considerably from school to school.

Any recommendations on any other flights schools apart from the above and info on the topic would be greatly appreciated

(Apologies if this is in the wrong forum)

DragonSoul Apr 2, 2019 12:19 am

Have they looked at schools outside Melbourne, such as at Ballarat? It's an hour and half by train from the CBD, but it might be more economical there than at Essendon or Moorabbin.

quarryking Apr 2, 2019 12:50 am

Originally Posted by DragonSoul (Post 30955249)
Have they looked at schools outside Melbourne, such as at Ballarat? It's an hour and half by train from the CBD, but it might be more economical there than at Essendon or Moorabbin.

They're based in Melbourne and so would be easiest for something in the city itself. But if there are some good schools in the region as well, could definitely consider.

Mwenenzi Apr 2, 2019 2:15 am

Originally Posted by quarryking (Post 30955043)
Hi folks, helping a relative shortlist Flight Schools in Melbourne, Australia for a Commercial Pilot Training Course.

As of now, some of the schools that they're looking at are
1. MELBOURNE FLIGHT TRAINING
2. CAE OXFORD
3. SOAR AVIATION
4. LEARN TO FLY
5. ROYAL VICTORIAN AERO CLUB

Course duration's seem to vary from 12 months – 15 months.
And course fees also seem to vary considerably from school to school.
Any recommendations on any other flights schools apart from the above and info on the topic would be greatly appreciated

More of a question for pprune
https://www.pprune.org/australia-new...nd-pacific-90/

USA_flyer Apr 2, 2019 2:31 am

Do all the schools mentioned have simulators for the type of aircraft you want to fly?

quarryking Apr 2, 2019 3:14 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi (Post 30955464)

I did post it in a Flight Training sub forum over at pprune, but didn't get any info at all.

quarryking Apr 2, 2019 3:22 am

Originally Posted by USA_flyer (Post 30955492)
Do all the schools mentioned have simulators for the type of aircraft you want to fly?

As far as i know, aside of CAE, none of the others have Sims (either for the 737/ 320).
Most of the places on the list primarily offer a Commercial license Program, with Type ratings being done there after at different locations that typically specialize in that & not necessarily in Australia.

obscure2k Apr 2, 2019 2:09 pm

Please continue to follow this discussion in the FT Oceania Forum
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator

Exec_Plat Apr 3, 2019 3:39 pm

Just checking....they want to learn flying AND LANDING, correct????

(too soon?)

Hey, everyone thought it, right?

darkly,
EXP

belfordrocks Apr 6, 2019 7:27 pm

This is not really the right site, but I do have a bit of experience here, so here are my thoughts:

1 and 5 would be my recommendations. 2 and 4 I would be iffy about and 3 is a strong stay away.

quarryking Nov 12, 2019 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by DragonSoul (Post 30955249)

Any recommendations in Ballarat ?

belfordrocks Nov 13, 2019 1:44 am

The only school in Ballarat I believe is the aero club that is run by APTA, the same organisation that runs MFT in Melbourne. The training seems good but it appears the owner has fallen into some legal difficulties, not sure if they are still operating.

The only other operator in Ballarat is an international academy style of school that I have nothing nice to say about. :)

Would recommend looking at Moorabbin, possibly RVAC or MAS at this point.

PPRUNE may be a better resource for you. But, if you ever thought flyertalk was too much complaining, oh boy ;)

nancypants Nov 13, 2019 2:20 am

Pants did his initial at smartair in Albury, he has good things to say about them despite never having good things to say about anything ever

perhaps helped that his mum lives there but, Melbourne is still only down the road